2017 Football Thread III: End of an Eli

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Lmfao at calling Solder “replacement level”, shows as much as you know about the guy who has been blocking Tom Brady’s blind side for years now...

Do you watch Solder? He’s a passable starting LT. Even in a league with declining offensive line play.

There’s a reason NE is fine with him leaving as didn’t make any real attempt to keep him. He’s going to get overpaid due to positional value. Not because he’s a great player.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
It's better than Barkley, if he is the all pro guard that the analysts are predicting.

No way, man. You can look at Dallas for this. Zeke vs Martin. As good as Martin is, Zeke is that offense. We saw that when he was gone for them.

A game changing RB or WR is always going to be more valuable than even the best interior lineman.

There may not be many bigger Nelson fans than me on here, but even I would be furious with him at 2. And I love the dude.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
No way, man. You can look at Dallas for this. Zeke vs Martin. As good as Martin is, Zeke is that offense. We saw that when he was gone for them.

A game changing RB or WR is always going to be more valuable than even the best interior lineman.

There may not be many bigger Nelson fans than me on here, but even I would be furious with him at 2. And I love the dude.
Actually, I think that OL is the offense. I think the better comparision is Hurley. Before last season he rushed for 800 yards if I'm not mistaken, then the Rams adressed the OLine and he was amazing.
The lifespan of a RB is short, 7-9 years if he is one of the best, we are not contending anymore in the Eli era imo. Why waste the 2nd pick on him if he will probably not be that good when we are contending? I agree that an OG is not ideal but with our needs and if he is an all pro I can live with that, but my 1st option is to draft a QB, I don't wanna be the Jets in 3 years from now.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Do you watch Solder? He’s a passable starting LT. Even in a league with declining offensive line play.

There’s a reason NE is fine with him leaving as didn’t make any real attempt to keep him. He’s going to get overpaid due to positional value. Not because he’s a great player.

You have to consider this. If they make a frontloaded deal that will not penalize us that much if we cut him on the near future then Im ok with it.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

I agree he will be overpaid because of his position. But I would argue he is more than just passable as well as the Patriots arent just letting him go. They are indeed working to keep him.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Browns sign Carlos Hyde. Not sure if this 100% seals the deal that they’re out on Barkley, but I’m pretty sure it means they’re going QB at #1OA.

If the Browns take Darnold/Allen 1st, do Giants take the other 2nd? And if that happens, do Jets try to trade up from 6 to 4 to make certain they don’t miss out on Rosen...?

My Brownies could get the QB they want, a solid haul for dropping back just two picks and still draft Chubb/Fitzpatrick(/Barkley) as well...

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Old Panthers GM signs old Panthers RB.

Cool. Cool.
And overpays for him.

First mistake.

And I disagree with taking a QB 2nd if Browns take QB 1. Take Barkley. This kid is going to be something special. You may not see another RB of his caliber in the next 5 years. We are going with Eli for the next two years. We still have Webb. We can revisit the QB position in two years. I am not blown away by any of the QBs in this class.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
And overpays for him.

First mistake.

And I disagree with taking a QB 2nd if Browns take QB 1. Take Barkley. This kid is going to be something special. You may not see another RB of his caliber in the next 5 years. We are going with Eli for the next two years. We still have Webb. We can revisit the QB position in two years. I am not blown away by any of the QBs in this class.

I won't be upset if Barkley is the pick, but I'll take a Franchise QB over a Generational Running Back any day.

If the Giants feel that Rosen or Darnold are potential Franchise QB's then they should take one of them. I love Eli, but he's 37, and I don't think his play while not awful, is still clearly on the downward trend.

Is it a risk? Sure. Every pick is, but there's been very few can't miss QB prospects, and if there is one, and you're picking 2, you're already picking too late to get him.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
You take the QB like you take the franchise center or potential ace pitcher. The Giants have an opportunity to go from Eli to the next franchise QB, just as the Colts went from Peyton to Luck. This game remains about QB play. Taking Barkley is such a short-sided move.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
It depends on how they feel about Webb. He has received a lot of high praise from the team and has been working closely with Eli. He is being groomed.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
You take the QB like you take the franchise center or potential ace pitcher. The Giants have an opportunity to go from Eli to the next franchise QB, just as the Colts went from Peyton to Luck. This game remains about QB play. Taking Barkley is such a short-sided move.
Only if they believe that one of these guys is a franchise QB. Otherwise, you take Barkley, if he's there.

If we spend this pick on a OG, I'm gonna be furious.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

Giants get Solder. He's about 100xs better than Flowers, but that isn't saying much.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Gotta assume that Flowers moves to RT now. I'l go out on a limb and say he'll actually flourish there.

The interior line is still a mess, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad