Prospect Info: 2017 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
We have so many picks this year I'd be shocked if they didn't take a goalie with one. So long as it's third rounder or later that's fine with me. Goalies tend to be too difficult to project to use a late first or second on one IMO.

I don't see them exposing Mrazek given Howie's contract, injury history and inconsistency. With that being said I don't see Las Vegas seeing the need to blow that much cap space by acquiring Howard. There have to be comparable netminders available withouth the massive commitment in salary and term.

Holland can likely expose Howard and have zero concern about Howie becoming a Golden Knight.
I agree with you I was just starting to get the feeling they'd do something crazy to have 100% guarantee that Vegas wouldn't take Howard, instead of 90% or whatever. But I think they might work something else out for that. Like sending a draft pick for them not to take him. I think Vegas taking him would help Detroit out(cap wise), but they seem so desperate to be an 8 seed next year that they will want Howard around.

To tie this to the discussion about 4 3rds, they could probably find a pretty good goalie prospect in round 3. I think that would help give some depth.

Last edited:

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I've been bored and can't stop wondering if they'll draft a goalie. They have extra picks, but have also drafted a goalie the last 2 or 3 years. .... I could see them taking someone like that, but I guess time will tell.

(not to say your're wrong) but I thought they wanted to take a goalie every other year. My memory isn't the best but I think they couldn't pass on Pottelberghe. From most accounts, Paterson is doing well for the Walleye. Here is a list of goalies drafted since DRW's drafted Mrazec. They also signed FA Coreau.

2012 3 80 Jake Paterson (31-11-1, 2.31 gaa, .916 sv)
2014 5 136 Chase Perry (at RPI college, 3.35 gaa, .906 sv)
2015 4 110 Joren Van Pottelberghe (this year 2.16 gaa, .906 sv)
2016 6 167 Filip Larsson

I'd rather the Wings, if they pick a goalie, take 1 in the later rounds. Of course that depends on how they are rated.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Wouldn't be surprised if they took 2 goalies in this draft

Two would seem a bit much. We have solid depth so one would likely be sufficient. We clearly need d-men and centers. Not saying it's impossible, we have so many draft picks they may see a guy in the later rounds they want to take a flyer on and pick a second goalie.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
(not to say your're wrong) but I thought they wanted to take a goalie every other year. My memory isn't the best but I think they couldn't pass on Pottelberghe. From most accounts, Paterson is doing well for the Walleye. Here is a list of goalies drafted since DRW's drafted Mrazec. They also signed FA Coreau.

2012 3 80 Jake Paterson (31-11-1, 2.31 gaa, .916 sv)
2014 5 136 Chase Perry (at RPI college, 3.35 gaa, .906 sv)
2015 4 110 Joren Van Pottelberghe (this year 2.16 gaa, .906 sv)
2016 6 167 Filip Larsson

I'd rather the Wings, if they pick a goalie, take 1 in the later rounds. Of course that depends on how they are rated.
I know I'm not wrong, because I don't have an opinion one way or the other if they will or if they should. I'm just not sure. I wouldn't want them to take a goalie in the first 2 rounds but if they take a higher ranked G in round 3 that's fine with me, having so many picks. If they take a goalie later, or not at all I'm fine with that too.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
So Svechnikov's younger brother is in the draft next year?

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Would have been nice if we took Rask in 2005 instead of Kindl. Would have been perfect. Because he came up with Boston same time Howie was ready. So we could have had Howie and Rask at the time Ozzie retired. Howie as a backup to Rask would have been awesome.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Would have been nice if we took Rask in 2005 instead of Kindl. Would have been perfect. Because he came up with Boston same time Howie was ready. So we could have had Howie and Rask at the time Ozzie retired. Howie as a backup to Rask would have been awesome.

No way we would have kept both around tho

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He is not a center . He is first line winger and we have plenty of them

We do not have plenty of first line wingers on this team. Only player playing like a first line forward on this entire team is Zetterberg.

But I ageee that A Svechnikov is a pure winger and ideally this team needs center or defenseman.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Yeah A. Svechnikov is a good enough player that I'd be happy with drafting him regardless but we need defense and centers so badly that there are probably going to be better options. I'm more thinking that we could maybe trade Evgeny to the team that drafts his younger brother for a similar caliber defenseman and they'll be willing to make that move because of the whole brother chemistry idea.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
Am I the only one who thinks this play is not that great? One move, vs non moving defense and a pretty slow shot.

Not sure in what world it's only one move. Anyway, here's the full sequence

It would be impressive if an 18 year old forward did it. It just so happens Dahlin is a 16 year old defenseman.

Last edited:

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Not sure in what world it's only one move. Anyway, here's the full sequence

It would be impressive if an 18 year old forward did it. It just so happens Dahlin is a 16 year old defenseman.

He's going to be a very special player at a very young age. We need to tank extra hard next year.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I usually like to hold off on the hype until the actual draft year, but it's always a nice sign that a 16 year old can do this. If he improves on top of this next year, the tank wars are going to be epic, and we better be involved, please, none of that playoff bubble crap.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Canuck fan coming in peace. Are the wings looking for a D or a fwd? If its a D would a trade like this be fair: Det 1st (7th) + Det 2nd (38th) for Van 1st (5th) + Van 3rd (67th)?

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Canuck fan coming in peace. Are the wings looking for a D or a fwd? If its a D would a trade like this be fair: Det 1st (7th) + Det 2nd (38th) for Van 1st (5th) + Van 3rd (67th)?

Don't think this would be a trade that would interest the Wings.

Losing far too many spots in the draft for a very minor upgrade.

We also have multiple 3rd round picks in that range already.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

They're looking for D or Center. Regarding the trade, I doubt it would happen. Holland likes to maximize his picks by moving back, if anything. That said, we haven't seen Holland's team ever draft this high, so its not unrealistic. Ultimately, however, it's absolutely going to depend on who the Wings covet. If the guy they covet is unexpectedly sitting there at #5, they pull the trigger; If they value a handful of guys equally that are available through the next 5-10 picks, they might move back. No way to tell.

Don't think this would be a trade that would interest the Wings.

Losing far too many spots in the draft for a very minor upgrade.

We also have multiple 3rd round picks in that range already.

Moving up 2 spots that early in the draft is always costly. Not saying I'd make that deal, but it is a reasonable price given the lack of depth in this draft. Would cost much more to move up from 7 to 5 in other drafts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad