2017 Draft Thread

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
It would be interesting to look back at this list next June to see where these kids end up. Mittelstadt in particular I've heard talk by some about him maybe "plateauing" by playing his senior year at high school, instead of going to the USNDTP or USHL. But on the contrary, I'd say it says a lot more about him that he wouldn't jump ship for his own benefit the way most kids do. (That said, he could be a total **** personally, I don't know him ;) I'm just talking on a hockey level.)

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i know some of you go by the bpa theory , however i focus on needs. if we lose a D in expansion i think we will need a "bluechip" prospect such as foote if he drops past avs; others i will keep an eye out for valimaki , hauge. 2nd biggest need imo RW popugaev 6'4"; oksanen 6'0" lethal scorer; kostin. plenty of centers rasmussen 6'5" , boqvist 5'11" speedy, ruzicka 6'4" and the list goes on. my guess is we will pick #15- #20. im suffering from hockey withdrawal drop the puck already!

Last edited:

ClayAikenFan77

Jan 1, 2016
Minneapolis
It would be interesting to look back at this list next June to see where these kids end up. Mittelstadt in particular I've heard talk by some about him maybe "plateauing" by playing his senior year at high school, instead of going to the USNDTP or USHL. But on the contrary, I'd say it says a lot more about him that he wouldn't jump ship for his own benefit the way most kids do. (That said, he could be a total **** personally, I don't know him ;) I'm just talking on a hockey level.)

You say that, but not many Minnesota players have been drafted straight out of high school the past few years.. This past year there was 10 Minnesota kids drafted but only 3 played through their senior year in Minnesota. The status quo around the nation and maybe even the world is leaving your hometown eventually to further your development and increase your chances of being drafted. I do think it says something about staying to try to help your team win a state championship, but I also think it says something about a 16-17 year old kid who decides to leave home in order to commit to their development.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

We have a Tier II team (NAHL). I've talked with the players, they have NHL dreams, but the reality for them is getting into college on a hockey scholarship. The "big fish little pond" and not being pushed by better competition is the main reason they left home.

It's a strange dynamic with the sponsor families. It ranges from the boys being a part of the "family": taking the little ones to their mite practices/games, helping with homework, big brother things. On the other end the boys more just tenants. I know a family that has had both ends of this spectrum in different years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad