2017 Draft - 7th Pick: Phil Kemp

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I had my doubts we'd make it to page two on the Phil Kemp thread but here we are.

Would Matt Greene be a good comparable as to his style of game? I've heard he has some leadership qualities too.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I had my doubts we'd make it to page two on the Phil Kemp thread but here we are.

Would Matt Greene be a good comparable as to his style of game? I've heard he has some leadership qualities too.

He apparently skates well for his size and may have some offense coming along.

He was the captain of the under 18 US national team and was an assistant at the U-18 worlds.

The more I read about him, the more I like him as a draft and follow.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Thanks for the video Mozes. He's a better skater than I thought he'd be, although he still needs some work to get to NHL level in that department but he has plenty of time. Seems to have a pretty good breakout pass too. Gonna need some time to marinate in college but he could actually suit up as a bottom-pairing guy somewhere down the line. That would be a good outcome for a 7th round pick.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
So what if it is the 7th pick ? You shouldn't waste it on a dead end prospect.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario

Do you know how many 7th rounders actually make it lol?? 6th and 7th rounders are when you take flyers on players that aren't good enough to sign but rather you have control for the next few years. This was not a bad pick up at all. Kemp hasn't been a world beater but he was the captain of his U-18 team which boasted some really good players.

He is a bigger RHD who is used in primarily a shutdown role, and seems to be doing pretty good. He is a long shot, but so are 99% of 7th round picks.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Do you even realize you are commenting on a 1 year old thread? Did you even watch the highlights of his draft +1 season (or thank the poster McMozes for keeping us appraised)?

... or did you just read the first page, see the (at that time uninformed) negativity and see it as an opportunity to pile on with more?

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007

Thanks again for the videos McMoze. First chance I've had to watch Kemp play.

Seemed to be tasked with shutting down Ryan Donato all game. Really impressed me with his overall game. Nothing really stood out as a weakness. He definitely has more offensive skill then his 8 points this year show. Could see him have a big jump in production for year 2 in college.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Thanks again for the videos McMoze. First chance I've had to watch Kemp play.

Seemed to be tasked with shutting down Ryan Donato all game. Really impressed me with his overall game. Nothing really stood out as a weakness. He definitely has more offensive skill then his 8 points this year show. Could see him have a big jump in production for year 2 in college.

I’m quite high on Kemp, he’s become my darkhorse in the system (alongside Graham McPhee).

I think we’ll see a major breakout from him, both statistically and in status. He’ll play a major role on the Bulldogs again, and I think he has a good chance of playing top 4 minutes for the US in Vancouver at the WJC.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

When you don’t know a god damn thing about a prospect, you really shouldn’t mouth off about them.

Kemp lasted longer in USA’s world junior camp than guys taken in the 2nd and 3rd round of the same draft year. He was a top four defenceman for Yale at 19 years old. He’s got every tool you want in an NHL defenceman but high end offence. He is most definitely not a dead end prospect.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
I’m quite high on Kemp, he’s become my darkhorse in the system (alongside Graham McPhee).

I think we’ll see a major breakout from him, both statistically and in status. He’ll play a major role on the Bulldogs again, and I think he has a good chance of playing top 4 minutes for the US in Vancouver at the WJC.

Is a Graham McPhee highlight package coming up?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I am amused how some complain about a 7th round pick and they call me out when we trade a 4th or a 5th--

7th rounders are pure projects and it will come down to how they are developed

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

I don't know why you aren't the Head of scouting because you think there is Top Talent in the 7th round. It's a crap shoot. Tell me in the last 10 years of drafting, name me 10 players in the 7th round that actually panned out, and not just AHL panned out, I mean played consistent minutes for a team and was an impact in some way. What a stupid comment.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I am amused how some complain about a 7th round pick and they call me out when we trade a 4th or a 5th--

7th rounders are pure projects and it will come down to how they are developed
You do realize the same person complaining about the 7th was called out as well?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Seems to be a really good skater. Similar to Schultz.
Some of the small motions he makes before shooting and now he takes those wrist shots reminded me of when Schutlz was shooting a lot. Nothing fancy, just a smart shot on net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad