2017 Draft - 4th Pick: Ostap Safin (03/06/18: Signed to ELC)

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
It should be interesting to compare how Safin and Maksimov develop next year. Both are talented right wingers who bring lots of individual skill to the table. IMO Maksimov has been the more consistent player this year, but Safin has better raw tools and maybe is the more purely talented player.

It's really important for him next year to get to a team that isn't a complete tire fire, whether it's an improve St. John or somewhere else.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It should be interesting to compare how Safin and Maksimov develop next year. Both are talented right wingers who bring lots of individual skill to the table. IMO Maksimov has been the more consistent player this year, but Safin has better raw tools and maybe is the more purely talented player.

It's really important for him next year to get to a team that isn't a complete tire fire, whether it's an improve St. John or somewhere else.
This needs to be a focus for the Oilers, imo, significant improvement of the AHL team so the prospects are going into a competitive environment.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009

Rules out the Oilers.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Rules out the Oilers.

The Oilers may be bad, but they're not 2 wins in 25 games bad...and in a lot of those games the Dead Dogs are getting massively outshot and outscored. That cannot be a good development environment when you're getting your face kicked in every single night.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
The Oilers may be bad, but they're not 2 wins in 25 games bad...and in a lot of those games the Dead Dogs are getting massively outshot and outscored. That cannot be a good development environment when you're getting your face kicked in every single night.
True, but that's not my definition of tire fire.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think Safin plays in the AHL next year. Wasn't drafted out of the CHL so he is eligible.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
His scoring pace has fallen off a bit but he doesn't have much help. Hoping he can finish out the year at a PPG and then challenge for 100 points next season.

Yeah, to expand on this, he has 20 more points than the next forward on his team.

Kid is all alone on this team.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Glad to have him under contract, kid has a lot of potential. Puljujarvi, Safin and Maksimov gives us potentially 3 scoring wingers with very good size and skill.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I'm 1.5 hrs from Halifax and going to the Saint John - Halifax game Mar 14. I'll have a report on him

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I can't decide whether he has a hockey name or not.

When I first saw this thread and read his name I was like there's no way he's going to make the NHL with a name like that.
But I think it's growing on me.

My way of acknowledging I don't have the foggiest clue about potential.. It's all in the name for me.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

When I first saw this thread and read his name I was like there's no way he's going to make the NHL with a name like that.

My way of acknowledging I don't have the foggiest clue about potential.. It's all in the name for me.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins was going to bust for sure right? ;)

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
He seems pretty raw. I think hes really hard to judge from a stats point of view, because the Sea Dogs have been terrible. Especially after Veleno got traded, they dont have much for Safin to play with. If he stays in the CHL for another year, I hope he plays on a better team.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Don’t work that way. If you play in the CHL you have to play there for your D+1 and D+2 unless you turn 20 before January 1st. Only way to get around this is being loaned to the CHL by a European team which Safin wasn’t.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Don’t work that way. If you play in the CHL you have to play there for your D+1 and D+2 unless you turn 20 before January 1st. Only way to get around this is being loaned to the CHL by a European team which Safin wasn’t.

No. That rule applies if you were drafted out of the CHL. Safin could play in Bak next year and may well do so unless he is in a better situation than he is this year.

Last edited:

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Some extended highlights from last night's 2 goal performance.

Safin has a nice sequence at the 2:34-2:45 mark during a PK, where he takes the puck off a turnover, plays a bit of keepaway and essentially creates a 2 on 1 out of nothing.

His skill is undeniable, that's for sure. The unknown for me is if he'll have the work ethic and intensity to make the NHL. That'll be up to him to make sure his first NHL contract isn't his last.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Ostap Stafin has the name of a future 30 goal scorer written all over it. Unfortunately Kirill Maksimov has a bad ass last name, but his first name is going to sink his career.

Reactions: Jablkon

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
It matters on where he was drafted out of, and he wasnt drafted out of the CHL, so he can play AHL next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->