2017 Draft - 1st Pick: Kailer Yamamoto - Signs ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Anyways, to update this fun stat.

If Yamamoto had played as many games as the rest of his team, and he kept the same pace, he would have 90 points.

That's 18 more points than the next guy on the team.

He would be 6th in league scoring.

That's only getting higher and higher.

Last edited:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I would bet so, he looks NHL ready and we need him. He is exactly what we need, some speed and skill to complement McD or Drai on the wing.

Yamamoto isn't that fast. I'll give you the skill part for sure, as he has hockey IQ and he has hands, but he certainly isn't a "speedster". It's not a negative for him or anything, but I wouldn't really consider it a plus either.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Yamamoto isn't that fast. I'll give you the skill part for sure, as he has hockey IQ and he has hands, but he certainly isn't a "speedster". It's not a negative for him or anything, but I wouldn't really consider it a plus either.

Fair enough, but he is very good side to side, like stoping and starting. His straight line speed isn't that great though, but regardless more the skill and passing ability that will make him such a complement to McD or Drai.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

To be fair, he looks pretty darn quick vs. his peers in the WHL. His skating will improve as he matures, it's not like he's a finished product at 18/19 years of age.

This summer will be a huge, huge deal for him. IF he can gain an extra half step or more of speed before next year's training camp, it'll make all the difference in the world for him, instead of just being pesky and irritating to play against at the pro level, he could be very dangerous in the offensive zone if he can combine improved skating with his abundant offensive awareness.

M C D A V I D

Feb 12, 2018
He's a similar skater to Marner and Gaudreau IMO, both of which aren't blistering fast in a straight line, but incredibly agile and can get into good scoring spots.

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
Another 3 point affair for Kailer last night. If my math is correct since the world juniors he has put up 37 points in those 16 games.
2.3 ppg pace

29 games played 49 points 1.69 ppg on the season with a bad start after being sent down.

Chiefs point leader has 76 pts in 58 games I believe
In 58 games at 1.69ppg Kailer would be around 98 pts leading his team by 22 pts.
Hopefully next year he can transfer his game to the AHL or even the NHL (we can only dream)

Reactions: CycloneSweep

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
He's a similar skater to Marner and Gaudreau IMO, both of which aren't blistering fast in a straight line, but incredibly agile and can get into good scoring spots.[/QUOT
Yama is way faster than Marner and I mean way and I am a huge Marner fan and have said many times Marner will become a regular top 20 point producer in the NHL but speed is not his gift his agility is.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I 100% am excited to see a

Benson - Hebig - Yamamoto line in the AHL next year.

I want Yamamoto to get a little bit of time on the farm before coming up. Get him settled in to playing against the big boys so the transition isn't such a shock again

Reactions: FlameChampion

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
To be fair, he looks pretty darn quick vs. his peers in the WHL. His skating will improve as he matures, it's not like he's a finished product at 18/19 years of age.

This summer will be a huge, huge deal for him. IF he can gain an extra half step or more of speed before next year's training camp, it'll make all the difference in the world for him, instead of just being pesky and irritating to play against at the pro level, he could be very dangerous in the offensive zone if he can combine improved skating with his abundant offensive awareness.

I'm hoping he doesn't try to solely focus on 'getting stronger', meaning to add bulk (if he even can at this stage), which might slow him down further...

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Might we see Safin bypass another year in the Q to play in the AHL? I'd personally prefer that he stay in the Q so that his ELC doesn't start for another season, but I wonder if he might take on the AHL challenge if he has a good offseason of training?

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Another 3 point affair for Kailer last night. If my math is correct since the world juniors he has put up 37 points in those 16 games.
2.3 ppg pace

29 games played 49 points 1.69 ppg on the season with a bad start after being sent down.

Chiefs point leader has 76 pts in 58 games I believe
In 58 games at 1.69ppg Kailer would be around 98 pts leading his team by 22 pts.
Hopefully next year he can transfer his game to the AHL or even the NHL (we can only dream)

He has been unreal, his world juniors were lack luster but it seems clear he was hurt. If you add in a demotion, then injury, he has done remarkably well.

See how he does in camp, but I expect he will win a job. We are so week on the wings in terms of skill (sadly) he will make the big club.

M C D A V I D

Feb 12, 2018
Not going to lie, I still kind of would've preferred Tolvonen (sp?). Would've been the Laine-lite/1-shot-scorer we're looking for to play with Mcdavid.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He will be on the team opening night and needs to be one of the best wingers on the team honestly. We need 35-40 goals from Yamamoto + Puljujarvi next year. We need younger guys to contribute, we don't have any depth otherwise and can't just sign 4 wingers with our cap situation.

Yamamoto in the AHL for any big period of time I don't see happening.

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
Let's see how is looks in the AHL next year, or the NHL I guess if he makes it. He looked over-whelmed in most of the NHL games this year, and had zero finish to his game. I will admit that he was a little better than I anticipated he would be though as a 19 year old. Yamamoto is a long, long way away from being the "scoring winger savior" that the team needs.
The Oilers and their fans need to stop thinking they need a 'savior'. One player will never make a team in this sport. You don't need some heroic savior to come in and turn the whole team around. You simply need a well balanced team that works hard and buys into whatever system the coach is pushing.

Reactions: MisterD and Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
As potentially one of if not the smallest players ever to potentially play in the nhl. ..

The last thing this kid needs is to be rushed. Give him training camp, then some nhl games if he continues to do well, then send him to the AHL barring anything short of miraculously great play. None of this stuff like last year where he was in and out of the line up and all over the place. Three games max if he doesn't significantly impress. Plan for him to be in the AHL the whole year and if he forces his way up at the half way mark, bring him up then.

Certainly does not need to be a savior type.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
As potentially one of if not the smallest players ever to potentially play in the nhl. ..

The last thing this kid needs is to be rushed. Give him training camp, then some nhl games if he continues to do well, then send him to the AHL barring anything short of miraculously great play. None of this stuff like last year where he was in and out of the line up and all over the place. Three games max if he doesn't significantly impress. Plan for him to be in the AHL the whole year and if he forces his way up at the half way mark, bring him up then.

Fact is he skates better and creates more on the ice already than 95% of our current wingers.

They just can't afford to keep him off the roster. In an ideal situation he would be given time to find his bearings in the AHL, but the Oilers are not an ideal situation.

The wing depth here is atrocious.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

He’s quite a bit bigger than gaudreau, so he won’t be the smallest player in the league

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Not going to lie, I still kind of would've preferred Tolvonen (sp?). Would've been the Laine-lite/1-shot-scorer we're looking for to play with Mcdavid.
shiny toy\hindsight remorse!

I still would have preferred DeBrincat over Puljujarvi!! see stats after the fact.

How about we just be happy with who we got especially when he is performing so good of late.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

I still would have preferred DeBrincat over Puljujarvi!! see stats after the fact.

How about we just be happy with who we got especially when he is performing so good of late.
Agreed.
Let's not shit on the pick when the player himself is doing so well

M C D A V I D

Feb 12, 2018

Nah. He was my choice before the draft, huge difference. Not hindsight, so chill bro. Tolvonen was also ranked higher than Yama. Not even ****ing on Yama, just think he was a better fit before the draft, and still do.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He has minimal bonus $ so it'd be great if he could give us 3 years of cheap production while the cap goes up year after year (hopefully).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad