2017 Draft - 1st Pick: Kailer Yamamoto - Signs ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
This . He will be better then Eberle with in 3 years . I said the same when comparing Draisaitl to RNH in his rookie year when he was sent down . Some fans focus on the negative instead of focusing on all the little things a players does right . Yamamoto will run circle around Eberle and will take a hit to make a play .... and he bigger then Johnny Hockey

Maroon McDavid Yamamoto
Lucic Draisaitl Puljujarvi

That is 2 solid lines with size and speed . Second line can become the 1st line when need be

Caggiula-RNH-Strom 3rd line?

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
He looks like a player.

That shot from the left circles on the PP could score a lot of goals across from McDavid.

OILSLICK94

Mar 9, 2004
London Ontario
This . He will be better then Eberle with in 3 years . I said the same when comparing Draisaitl to RNH in his rookie year when he was sent down . Some fans focus on the negative instead of focusing on all the little things a players does right . Yamamoto will run circle around Eberle and will take a hit to make a play .... and he bigger then Johnny Hockey

Maroon McDavid Yamamoto
Lucic Draisaitl Puljujarvi

That is 2 solid lines with size and speed . Second line can become the 1st line when need be

I hope that's a future template cause there's no way he's in the NHL next year and who knows if Maroon re-ups

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
The one thing I really like about him is how he find the open space and makes himself a target.

He darts between players to find the open space, opens himself up and finishes it with accuracy and authority. I like the fit next to Mcdavid.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
Typical Oilers, nothing has less value in the NHL than a small winger.

Grats to him tho, being the smallest guy ever drafted in the first round sure is somthing.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I hope that's a future template cause there's no way he's in the NHL next year and who knows if Maroon re-ups

A couple of years away . Maybe we don't have Maroon . Maybe it Benson . Kids got to stay healthy enough to develop . If he can stay healthy (Benson ) Our prospect pool will start to look good

Puljujarvi
Yamamoto
Benson

Jones
Bear

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
You could tell the Oilers really wanted this guy and that Kailer and his family were really hoping for the Oilers.

Watching their reaction to the pick makes me smile.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Anyone looking for a player like Yamamoto - small, great shot, great speed, crafty, nose for the net...who McDavid has had success with in the past?

Alex DeBrincat.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Anyone looking for a player like Yamamoto - small, great shot, great speed, crafty, nose for the net...who McDavid has had success with in the past?

Alex DeBrincat.

So why not take DeBrincat over a guy made of tissue paper last year, and thus be able to use the 1st on one of the half-dozen big, skilled wingers left in this range now?

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary

Grats to him tho, being the smallest guy ever drafted in the first round sure is somthing.

Not really true at all ask the flames how its working out for them. Its risky but if his development goes well he could be one of the best players of this years draft. We need wing depth and he fulfills that and could be our Eberle replacement. Way too many oiler fans are obsessed with size we already are one of the biggest teams in the league we aren't lacking.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
The one thing I really like about him is how he find the open space and makes himself a target.

He darts between players to find the open space, opens himself up and finishes it with accuracy and authority.
I like the fit next to Mcdavid

This is where I think he will fit in . He has the speed to keep up . Puljujarvi with his size should work well with Draisaitl .

Jean Ralphio

Dec 13, 2008
Adding to the Eberle similarities (or coincidences), both had 42 goals in their draft year.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

I guess you know better then the scouts . I can understand not liking some of Chia trades but his drafting has been light years better then anything we had in the last 15 years

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Well, size will obviously be an issue but when you look at Kris Russell as a 5'10" 170 pound D-man in a league full of monster forwards then its obvious that size isn't always a barrier.

When you harken back to smaller guys who have been great players you obviously have to think of Johnny Gaudreau and Theo Fleury and for those who have a very long memory, Yvan Cournyoyer and Henri Richard would also be good examples. They are/were all small guys but the talent and the skating just couldn't be overlooked.

PC said he was "done for today", I wonder if something might be brewing with Pouliot or RNH tomorrow? It won't be easy to move the 24M left for RNH but then again I didn't think too many teams would be interested in Ebs contract. We shall see.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Incredibly surprised that Chiarelli went for the midget, especially with a big winger like Vesalainen still available. That being said, I really like the pick. High risk, high reward, which is exactly what you want. It's also nice to have a guy who says goals are his first priority. We need that, with three good playmaking centres. Nice work Chia.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Well, size will obviously be an issue but when you look at Kris Russell as a 5'10" 170 pound D-man in a league full of monster forwards then its obvious that size isn't always a barrier.

When you harken back to smaller guys who have been great players you obviously have to think of Johnny Gaudreau and Theo Fleury and for those who have a very long memory, Yvan Cournyoyer and Henri Richard would also be good examples. There are/were all small guys but the talent and the skating just couldn't be overlooked.

PC said he was "done for today", I wonder if something might be brewing with Pouliot or RNH tomorrow? It won't be easy to move the 24M left for RNH but then again I didn't think too many teams would be interested in Ebs contract. We shall see.

I don't think this is the plan anyways. Seems to me like RNH will be on the team for years to come. Which is a good thing, imo.

Mcwinner

Jul 9, 2015

Congratulations for possibly the dumbest comment I've read on this site all week and I've read a lot of dumb ****.
Johnny hockey was smaller both in height and weight his year at the combine. As much as I dislike him I would assume he holds a ton of value.
You on the other hand hold not much.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Just read that he is a natural LW but has played RW due to team need. That is another plus if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->