Prospect Info: 2017 Draft - 1st Pick: Kailer Yamamoto II Rookie Pro Season in the Books

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I feel like Benson has to come up after the break. He’s been well ripened and we have to give him a serious look before we go into the deadline.

I'd like to see Benson in the NHL too but his skating (speed) and intensity are kinda lacking. With Yams... he was a buzzsaw in the AHL but was often pushed over (he still does in the NHL). In the AHL... his nice plays lead to nothing because the Condors are mostly grinders.

Benson has always given me the Lander-vibe. Smart player... just not good enough of a skater. Maybe he'll pull a Bear in the offseason.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I hope he starts to get some more pucks on net. 10 shots in 7 games doesn't project well for long-term success.
that's true, but I think it will definitely come. For now, he's doing everything else well. He's not as good as Drai or RNH, but he has been the finishing piece that makes that line function. And I wouldn't want it any other way. Offense should be the last piece to come. The D and transition is more important, and supporting his teammates

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I'd like to see Benson in the NHL too but his skating (speed) and intensity are kinda lacking. With Yams... he was a buzzsaw in the AHL but was often pushed over (he still does in the NHL). In the AHL... his nice plays lead to nothing because the Condors are mostly grinders.

Benson has always given me the Lander-vibe. Smart player... just not good enough of a skater. Maybe he'll pull a Bear in the offseason.
Maybe your right but we won’t know until he has been given a serious look. He has earned that much.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I feel like Benson has to come up after the break. He’s been well ripened and we have to give him a serious look before we go into the deadline.

When Yams was called up, I'm fairly sure it was on the tail end of our worst 10 game segment of the season.

Which makes me wonder, will they wait until we're struggling again to give Benson a call-up? Because after going on this nice run in January I can see Tippett thinking, "why mess with something that's working?".

I myself would love to see Benson up here, but the playoff race is extremely tight and we have some divisional games coming up. Don't hate Tipp for being conservative and saying 'hold off on calling him up'.

Patiently wait until the deadline to call up Benson imo.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
When Yams was called up, I'm fairly sure it was on the tail end of our worst 10 game segment of the season.

Which makes me wonder, will they wait until we're struggling again to give Benson a call-up? Because after going on this nice run in January I can see Tippett thinking, "why mess with something that's working?".

I myself would love to see Benson up here, but the playoff race is extremely tight and we have some divisional games coming up. Don't hate Tipp for being conservative and saying 'hold off on calling him up'.

Patiently wait until the deadline to call up Benson imo.
The thing is I’d like to know if benson is or is not an internal solution prior to the deadline. I think it would be smart to know what we have there before we go potentially splurging assets on rentals.

Reactions: Aerrol

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The thing is I’d like to know if benson is or is not an internal solution prior to the deadline. I think it would be smart to know what we have there before we go potentially splurging assets on rentals.

Stauffer was strongly hinting that the team would call up Benson in late Jan / early Feb.
I hope that happens.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
What can you say about Yamamoto, he's basically emerged and basically fills a top-6 forward spot competently, huge find. Makes adding to the roster a lot simpler, imo.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
What can you say about Yamamoto, he's basically emerged and basically fills a top-6 forward spot competently, huge find. Makes adding to the roster a lot simpler, imo.
I don't think it's a huge coincidence that his arrival was at the same time the team went on this nice run (Smith's solid play aside). Balancing the top two lines has opened things up throughout the lineup.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think it's too early to say he has emerged, we have had numerous players go on heaters before and not turn around so, yes we can be happy and breath a little easier but we cannot assume the role is now filled until there is more consistency there

Reactions: Aerchon

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think it's too early to say he has emerged, we have had numerous players go on heaters before and not turn around so, yes we can be happy and breath a little easier but we cannot assume the role is now filled until there is more consistency there
Totally, but to write off what he's done as a heater, considering what his teammates are also saying is a bit dismissive. He's not just getting bounces, he's earning his spots by playing the right way.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Totally, but to write off what he's done as a heater, considering what his teammates are also saying is a bit dismissive. He's not just getting bounces, he's earning his spots by playing the right way.

All his goals to date have been an empty net, a tap in I could score, and the goalie knocking it into his own net.

His play has been very sharp. I like what I have seen overall.

But his goals/points are almost completely situational. A product of luck and who he is playing with.

I dare say if he were playing in our bottom 6 he would be lucky to have a single point.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
...... I can't wait for you to say this in 30 games as well

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
All his goals to date have been an empty net, a tap in I could score, and the goalie knocking it into his own net.

But his goals/points are almost completely situational. A product of luck and who he is playing with.

I dare say if he were playing in our bottom 6 he would be lucky to have a single point.

An empty net goal so easy that no one on the team was able to score them for the majority of the season prior.

A "tap in" where he shot the puck, he didn't tap it in. Way to watch the goal. He found the open space. He gets credit for that part of the offensive play.

I know you don't have the guns to respond to my posts, but explain to everyone how this is a tap in.

And lastly, the puck only was knocked in by the goalie because Yamamoto got the puck towards the net. This isn't a Laine situation where the goalie took a slap shot in the open net.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

For **** sakes you people. You couldn't because you wouldn't engage in the physical battle it took to score the goal, let alone win it.

oil4life97

Aug 10, 2005

I’d say he has had as much to with with his lines recent success as anyone else on that line.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
From the top of my head he had at least 1 really good assist when he set up RNH for a goal with a cross ice pass through a bit of traffic.

Anyway, I have said it before and will say it again. The only people who give a shit about how a goal is scored or how an assist (primary/secondary) are people with an agenda against a player. It is literally only used by folks who are trying to discredit a player. Another player could score a hat-trick off of his ass and there would be no complaints.

Reactions: TB12 and ImmuneEH

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
He's been good, draws penalties, plays hard and has some points and they've been winning. Absolutely nothing to complain about.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
An empty net goal so easy that no one on the team was able to score them for the majority of the season prior.

A "tap in" where he shot the puck, he didn't tap it in. Way to watch the goal. He found the open space. He gets credit for that part of the offensive play.

I know you don't have the guns to respond to my posts, but explain to everyone how this is a tap in.

And lastly, the puck only was knocked in by the goalie because Yamamoto got the puck towards the net. This isn't a Laine situation where the goalie took a slap shot in the open net.

Yep. Kailer seems to know where the puck can potentially end up around the net. No problem for me because that is exactly what this team needs. Ever since we lost Maroon we have lacked this. It's not bad to have it.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
From the top of my head he had at least 1 really good assist when he set up RNH for a goal with a cross ice pass through a bit of traffic.

Anyway, I have said it before and will say it again. The only people who give a **** about how a goal is scored or how an assist (primary/secondary) are people with an agenda against a player. It is literally only used by folks who are trying to discredit a player. Another player could score a hat-trick off of his ass and there would be no complaints.

I love the way he is playing. He is getting visibly better every game.

Good player make their own luck with hardworking and knowing where to be.

But.

Way too small sample size.

Even one of his primary assists came off a weird Gaudreau blowout/turnover.

There is a big question imo about his ability to finish in the nhl. Predating his recent success. Scoring the way he is does not seem sustainable.

He is not going to score 20+ goals a year missing on grade A chances and capitalizing on the weird and bizarre.

I just think he needs to pot a couple legit goals soon and the confidence combined with his play will get him going. He is a proven scorer in previous leagues.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018

Anyway, I have said it before and will say it again. The only people who give a **** about how a goal is scored or how an assist (primary/secondary) are people with an agenda against a player. It is literally only used by folks who are trying to discredit a player. Another player could score a hat-trick off of his ass and there would be no complaints.

I disagree with you, I have no agenda against Yamamoto, and I care about how he's scoring. I was hyping Yamamoto's game in the AHL when everybody was disappointed in his numbers, you can go on and check the Bako thread. I knew he'd be up quickly. And I agree that so far, he's not shown a lot of finish, and two of his 3 goals have been fairly lucky. Whether that's from a lack of ability, or confidence, or just a growth thing, we don't know yet.

I think his next big challenge will be earning more of his own good scoring chances, and cashing on them. You kind of see the transition offence starting to come, but... We'll see!

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Have to laugh at some on here that think some of the plays these guys make out there in the best league in the world are ones they themselves "could easily do."

Last edited:

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
If Benson can do the same(somehow) man does that make the Trade deadline much easier on Holland. Still need a 3C though and McLeod is not ready yet.

Benson/McD/Kass
RNH/Drai/Yammo

Get a decent 3C in here and we suddenly are not just talking about making the playoffs rather how deep we can go in the playoffs.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If Benson can do the same(somehow) man does that make the Trade deadline much easier on Holland. Still need a 3C though and McLeod is not ready yet.

Benson/McD/Kass
RNH/Drai/Yammo

Get a decent 3C in here and we suddenly are not just talking about making the playoffs rather how deep we can go in the playoffs.
I agree completely. Someone with some skill though, so they could play with Neal more effectively.

I would really like to see what Benson can do with this group, with McDavid and Kassian.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
So funny to see the Yamamoto skeptics go on about small sample sizes yet if he was struggling after 8 games, they would be the first ones in line to say "I told you so" that he would be a nothing in the NHL. Hell, look at their Broberg takes for proof of that.
I don't even think they're wrong about needing to see a bigger sample size to be sold on him but still.

Also, you don't score goals in the NHL by being "lucky", that's a copout to minimize his contribution.
He earned the empty net goal by making a great defensive play to free up the puck and then finishing into the empty net, something far more experienced players have had a hard time doing.
The 2nd goal he needed to be in position to receive the pass and still have to get the one time shot off to score. More experienced players have whiffed on opportunities like that or "dusted it off" allowing the goalie to get in position to make the save.
The 3rd goal was coming off a hard working shift in which he fended off bigger players to get a sneaky quick shot off that surprised Raanta hence why he was scrambling to the point of knocking it in his own net.

No the goals weren't picassos but they were the result of hard work, positioning and an ability to get the shots on net. Not luck, sorry.
You can also counter that to say that it was bad luck that he didn't score on the 2 on 1 when he got robbed by the goalie but it doesn't work that way.

With that said, he still has some proving to do to solidify himself as a permanent top 6 fixture. As always, consistency is key with youngsters after the initial energy from the call up levels off.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->