Prospect Info: 2017 Draft - 1st Pick: Kailer Yamamoto II Rookie Pro Season in the Books

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Maybe I wasnt paying attention but how could anyone give up faith on Bear. Guy was a beast in WHL, had a great audition in the NHL as a 20 YO briefly and had some solid AHL seasons

There are at least a few on this board that have short memories and Shiney new toy syndrome.

Bear had an incredible draft +2. Bear had an excellent nhl debut. When not injured a solid AHL game.

But when Jones came in and played ok it was heavily Jones >>>> Bear. Or Jones was a guaranteed furure top 4 defenseman.

Bear always seemed to have a significant edge over Jones to me eye and mind.

I realize it's human nature but I hate how many times if one player is doing well its somehow at the expense of another.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Bear always seemed to have a significant edge over Jones to me eye and mind.

In my opinion there is little to no difference between Bear and Jones in terms of who will have a better nhl career.

giphy.gif

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Maybe I wasnt paying attention but how could anyone give up faith on Bear. Guy was a beast in WHL, had a great audition in the NHL as a 20 YO briefly and had some solid AHL seasons

IIRC, injuries and him being out of shape [probably caused by injury time] were the problem. Aside from average skating, Bear always had a good head for the game. The question was how much of it would translate

McJesusSaves97

I see the light
May 17, 2015
Cowtown: Behind Enemy Lines
I was so ticked off when we selected Yams. There were a couple players I would have taken over him at the time. He has certainly been one of our best players since his call up. Happy to be wrong on this...loving what he brings so far :thumbu:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Bear took a huge step during this offseason. Jones was the better prospect last year.

Reactions: Zaddy

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I was so ticked off when we selected Yams. There were a couple players I would have taken over him at the time. He has certainly been one of our best players since his call up. Happy to be wrong on this...loving what he brings so far :thumbu:
Tolvanen was what Hfoil wanted but everyone and their dog knew Oilers were targetting Yamamoto.. as they knew of Eberle.

Reactions: voxel

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
For whatever reason, people lose faith in prospects when they don't make it to the NHL at age 20 EVEN when they know it should take prospects around 2 years in the AHL. I've seen this ongoing cycle for a decade on these boards now lol. Now we're seeing Bouchard and Samorukov go through the same thing. People will probs think they're busts by the end of the year or next

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Lol hasn’t every player after him dropped off?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
After injury Bears play did take a hit so I think people were concerned that it was going to stunt his growth as a player. He instead busted his ass in the summer.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Yama another great game, another goal that... he actually didn't beat the goalie.

My only concern continues... Yama needs to score goals against an nhl goalie face to face.

Empty net, open net, and goalie knocks it into his own net while going wide...

It's getting almost comical. Numerous grade A scoring chances miss and then he gets a free one.

Otherwise awesome. His speed was very noticeable, he actually seems you be getting faster.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I hope he starts to get some more pucks on net. 10 shots in 7 games doesn't project well for long-term success.

It's just a lack of confidence. He's trying really hard to pass to Nuge and especially Draisaitl, playing the role of a complimentary player. When he starts to gain more confidence he'll shoot more. I'm not worried at all.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
It's just a lack of confidence. He's trying really hard to pass to Nuge and especially Draisaitl, playing the role of a complimentary player. When he starts to gain more confidence he'll shoot more. I'm not worried at all.

I'm actually seeing a surprising lack of deference from Yamamoto. He's playing his own game, I think he's had a good mix of hanging on to the puck, distributing it, shooting when he can. Ripped a great shot this afternoon on a nice break. I'm liking his maturity out there.

So, I kind of agree with @Dempsey that the next big challenge for Yamamoto is to find more space to shoot, find more of his own chances. No reason to doubt he'll get there.

Reactions: Dempsey

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Yama needs to hang out with Sheahan more and learn some selfishness..

Signed McDavid after missing out on hatty.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I'm glad Yamamoto is proving me wrong.

At the draft I was on the fence of Vesalainen and Yams of for I would draft (was upset NYR reached for Chytil right before us). I was leaning towards the big Fin, and Yams is proving me wrong so far.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
How good is Yams feeling right now? Instead of 4 games with the Condors over the next couple weeks, he gets to chill and collect his NHL paycheques :)

Benson on the other hand. THe ripening must go on!

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
How good is Yams feeling right now? Instead of 4 games with the Condors over the next couple weeks, he gets to chill and collect his NHL paycheques :)

Benson on the other hand. THe ripening must go on!
I feel like Benson has to come up after the break. He’s been well ripened and we have to give him a serious look before we go into the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->