WJC: 2017 Czech Republic Roster Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
No offense to the Danes. I'm happy for them. But if Czechs can't beat a team like that, they don't belong in the qf's. Simple as that. Another year of disappointment. And next year won't be much better.

Next year will only be worse.

Honestly, there nothing to look forward to anymore at this tournament. We either get to quaters just to get kicked out by Canada/USA/Russia or we get to relegation group and play against Latvia/Slovakia... no doubt on paper our team is clearly superior to those two, but so it was to Denmark and to lesser extent to Switzerland. See how those games went.

PS it's crazy when you consider how our 96 and 97, by far the best age groups in the past few years, did in the WJC. They did absolutely no damage whatsoever.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
I just don't understand why we can't ever seem to do well in this tournament, you know?

I mean like Wooren says, we have had some strong age groups recently, like 96 and 97. And they got thumped in the QF 7-0 last year and 3-0 to Slovakia the year before.

We have guys who won U-18 silver, Ivan Hlinka silver but somehow it doesn't translate to success at the U-20 level. It seems like the jump from U-18 to U-20 is pretty big and our boys don't seem to manage it well. We all know how hard it is from U-20 to the A-team, but it looks like it's equally hard from U-18 to U-20 as well.

I dunno really. One year it's the coach, one year it's the lack of talent, one year it's questionable roster decisions, one year it's all of those thing, one year we get lucky and face Slovakia in the QF and still mess up...I mean for god's sake, it's a miracle we've ever won the tournament at all! :laugh::shakehead

If we don't get past the QF this year (looks like another Canada/USA match-up if we get there) then it's 12 years in a row.....it's just not good enough. The sad thing is, I have no idea how you'd solve the issue......:cry:

EDIT: And entering the tournament with 17!! goals conceded and none scored with arguably the most talented defence in years is inexcusable. Petr has a lot of explaining to do. He is rapidly losing credit in my eyes....

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
Yes, it's like the U20 is cursed or something. It's especially frustrating when you see all those other inferior (on paper) countries have some success , yet Czech Republic can't do anything. Weak roster/strong roster, bad coach/good coach, doesn't matter, the result is always the same.

The disparity in effort against strong or weak team is also headscratching. I mean, last year they almost beat Russia or Finland and at the same time they almost lost points against Slovakia or Belarus. This year they play well against Finland and then suck hard against Denmark (except the 1st period). I have no doubt they will come out strong against Sweden.

Still, despite all this, I think the Czech junior teams are getting better, 1999 and 2001 look quite strong, 200 isn't that bad either... this quaterfinals losing streak has to end sometime... right?

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Frankly guys, you change opinion as socks every day. These guys have different roles than 5years ago. It will take some time. We loosing same games as any other top 6nation lose to us several years ago.

This game was about coaching imo. Petr is young and lacks experiences. Otherwise we woudlnt stop playng after first period. These young guys look super vulnurable....And to be honest, we are not Canada, we do everything with heart but also wild. Do all our coaches have even top licence?

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
I just don't understand why we can't ever seem to do well in this tournament, you know?

I mean like Wooren says, we have had some strong age groups recently, like 96 and 97. And they got thumped in the QF 7-0 last year and 3-0 to Slovakia the year before.

We have guys who won U-18 silver, Ivan Hlinka silver but somehow it doesn't translate to success at the U-20 level. It seems like the jump from U-18 to U-20 is pretty big and our boys don't seem to manage it well. We all know how hard it is from U-20 to the A-team, but it looks like it's equally hard from U-18 to U-20 as well.

I dunno really. One year it's the coach, one year it's the lack of talent, one year it's questionable roster decisions, one year it's all of those thing, one year we get lucky and face Slovakia in the QF and still mess up...I mean for god's sake, it's a miracle we've ever won the tournament at all! :laugh::shakehead

If we don't get past the QF this year (looks like another Canada/USA match-up if we get there) then it's 12 years in a row.....it's just not good enough. The sad thing is, I have no idea how you'd solve the issue......:cry:

EDIT: And entering the tournament with 17!! goals conceded and none scored with arguably the most talented defence in years is inexcusable. Petr has a lot of explaining to do. He is rapidly losing credit in my eyes....

He should explain it, for sure, but loosing credit? I never heared Petr is a product of czech coaching school or smth. like this. What I know he is young hockey enthusiast who is progressive and get along with players. I dont doubt his coaching skills, but czech hockey enviroment was or is still so broken that this itself push him to position of saviour of czech youth hockey. He is not a thief, he is not opportunistic etc. That itself basically make people happy even if it should be normal anywhere else. I am happy for guys like him otherwise we would probably be ****ed.... We use modern statistic probably not because some commission pushed us to use it but because there was another fanatic hockey ninja etc etc etc. Even Jandac mostly talked about getting experiences from World cup when, in the same time, there was Julien, Babcock etc... on second bench. We heavily rely on individual enthusiasts or natural talents who somehow have these skills gifted. This is the case of Ruzicka. However it wouldnt be Czech Rep, if he didnt steal 500000 crowns. Only one general authority is probably old Bukac who seems to speak in diff language than federation.

Somebody more informed about CZ hockey might proved what I wrote is wrong But because above mentioned Petr still has big credit in my eyes...

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016

It is terribly important that we have good junior competition. Many participants is a joke and after-U18 perhaps most importantly perion ofí hockey players, there will decide who will be successful. And if these players play matches desperately poor, they can not adequately improve. It's a matter hockey federation, unfortunately, there is personal gain superior to the success of czech hockey.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
Somebody more informed about CZ hockey might proved what I wrote is wrong But because above mentioned Petr still has big credit in my eyes...

Perhaps I'm a little too harsh on him. I guess I anticipated slightly better results after Prerost left.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
It is terribly important that we have good junior competition. Many participants is a joke and after-U18 perhaps most importantly perion ofí hockey players, there will decide who will be successful. And if these players play matches desperately poor, they can not adequately improve. It's a matter hockey federation, unfortunately, there is personal gain superior to the success of czech hockey.

I agree about having good competition. But how can it be that Switzerland loses to Canada 4-3 in OT and we lose twice 7:0 and 5:0?

There's got to be something wrong somewhere and it can't just be talent on paper.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
There's not much to say anymore guys. I just hope that the 99-2001 years are going to be good. From what I've seen, they look like they are tough. Physically, and most importantly, mentally. My main example is U-17 challenge this year.(2000). Didn't have crazy good results, but they stuck it out in EVERY game. Played with a lot of heart. Whether that's player mentality or coaching, I don't know. But U-18,U-17, and U-16, all look really good this year. There's not much of a gap like our 98's.
So, as much as these past few years have sucked with apparently good age groups, we still have some hope looking forward. U-18's and U-17's both just beat Finland. 3-1 and 4-2.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
From an outside perspective the team has not played badly in any game really. Have outplayed each opponent.

Has been a serious lack of finish though, so many chances not cashed in on, some guys seem snake-bitten really.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
From an outside perspective the team has not played badly in any game really. Have outplayed each opponent.

Has been a serious lack of finish though, so many chances not cashed in on, some guys seem snake-bitten really.

Yes, terrible productivity and inexcusable penalties...

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
There's not much to say anymore guys. I just hope that the 99-2001 years are going to be good. From what I've seen, they look like they are tough. Physically, and most importantly, mentally. My main example is U-17 challenge this year.(2000). Didn't have crazy good results, but they stuck it out in EVERY game. Played with a lot of heart. Whether that's player mentality or coaching, I don't know. But U-18,U-17, and U-16, all look really good this year. There's not much of a gap like our 98's.
So, as much as these past few years have sucked with apparently good age groups, we still have some hope looking forward. U-18's and U-17's both just beat Finland. 3-1 and 4-2.

I like how you always have so much optimism. It's nice :)

I saw those results and they certainly please me. I just hope that they finally translate to the U-20 level, because the recent ones haven't :/

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
I like how you always have so much optimism. It's nice :)

I saw those results and they certainly please me. I just hope that they finally translate to the U-20 level, because the recent ones haven't :/

I try my best haha. But I just have a better feeling about these groups. And so far it looks like their depth is better as well. And even in the U-16. So we shall see.

I also actually think next year might not be too too bad. Hard to say. Our defense will be good again. Goaltending too. Necas, Safin, Kondelik, Zadina, Kaut, Kubik, and Reichel as offense. Doesnt look THAT bad. Still not too great but good skill anyways. Who knows who can step up in a year.

Varada as coach too? :sarcasm:

Babula

May 31, 2012
I try my best haha. But I just have a better feeling about these groups. And so far it looks like their depth is better as well. And even in the U-16. So we shall see.

I also actually think next year might not be too too bad. Hard to say. Our defense will be good again. Goaltending too. Necas, Safin, Kondelik, Zadina, Kaut, Kubik, and Reichel as offense. Doesnt look THAT bad. Still not too great but good skill anyways. Who knows who can step up in a year.

:yo: thanks man. for this hope... I can not say it better way. :nod:

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic

I am not following it that much but fromwhat I see on Hlinka, junior A challenge and this WJC, it seems to me its getting better. Maybe not results, but overall individual quality and level of play. We are not jokes anymore. World si getting better too so I hope we can keep up...

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
Budik added to the roster. Kodytek out, Zacha couldn't go. Budik should play against Sweden.

Main problem is that next year the top forwards will be 18, while it's tournament mainly for 19 years old.

I am very interested to see how the groups will look like next year. With Finland in relegation and thus likely ending 9th overall, one group could be really stacked...

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
There hasn't been a game where they played badly and yet they're 1-3, so disappointing

It is discouraging, but at the same time it can be seen as a good thing. We are taking a step in the right direction. I've been watching the WJC for 11 years. This is the 1st year where they are playing quite well. And everyone is noticing it. Some bad luck for sure. But nothing we can do. Just hope that it continues to get better.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
It is discouraging, but at the same time it can be seen as a good thing. We are taking a step in the right direction. I've been watching the WJC for 11 years. This is the 1st year where they are playing quite well. And everyone is noticing it. Some bad luck for sure. But nothing we can do. Just hope that it continues to get better.

I don't agree. That year when we had Hertl, we lost 2-1 in OT to Russia. I'd say we played better then.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
I like how even when down 5-0, they kept playing hard and scored 2 goals. Fully deserved as well. There's something to build on at least. There was pockets of play where they were the better team. They need to be more consistent. They disappear for like 10 minutes and then play amazing for 5.

Too little too late now. Canada or USA will beat us in QF.

But what seems to be our problem? I still say coaching. Swiss are far behind us in overall talent, yet every year they keep games close. There can't be another answer. Czechs never know how to play against the big boys.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
I don't agree. That year when we had Hertl, we lost 2-1 in OT to Russia. I'd say we played better then.

I disagree as well haha. That was a 1 man team. Petr Mrazek was the name.
They played very mediocre in round robin play. Losing 5-0 to Canada and 4-0 to Finland. Weren't impressive whatsoever. And even in their win against USA(who really sucked btw) they got horribly outshot. 50-20.
This years team is better then that. Sorry.

Wooren

May 17, 2015
Prague
I like how even when down 5-0, they kept playing hard and scored 2 goals. Fully deserved as well. There's something to build on at least. There was pockets of play where they were the better team. They need to be more consistent. They disappear for like 10 minutes and then play amazing for 5.

Too little too late now. Canada or USA will beat us in QF.

But what seems to be our problem? I still say coaching. Swiss are far behind us in overall talent, yet every year they keep games close. There can't be another answer. Czechs never know how to play against the big boys.

I actually think they played **** poor since the 4th goal until our 1st goal, which came out of nowhere. Fully deserved the goals though, they had 38 SOG...

Speaking of coaching, I wonder how can we suck on PP and PK so much. Everyone knows our team isn't top tier yet they can't make the PP work. PP is always the main weapon of an underdog. Just ****ing garbage.

Mar 11, 2013
QC
I actually think they played **** poor since the 4th goal until our 1st goal, which came out of nowhere. Fully deserved the goals though, they had 38 SOG...

Speaking of coaching, I wonder how can we suck on PP and PK so much. Everyone knows our team isn't top tier yet they can't make the PP work. PP is always the main weapon of an underdog. Just ****ing garbage.
Our PP is too stationary, once they set up the umbrella the 3 players on top are just passing it between them until 1 decides to take a weak shot on goal, which won't do anything specially with some of the weak, lazy screens that goalies see right through. The only player that did a great job of actually creating something was Necas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->