Prospect Info: 2017 CFHF Prospect Rankings: #16 RUN-OFF POLL

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Philips. If it's gun to the head, I won't be surprised if Tspoon is straight up waived by the end of camp and he won't get claimed either.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Mini Matty

AINEC

Size issues are overblown, kid has the hockey sense and shiftiness to be a 25/25 guy.

Wotherspoon is no more likely to make the NHL and his ceiling is best described as non-existant.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Mini Matty

AINEC

Size issues are overblown, kid has the hockey sense and shiftiness to be a 25/25 guy.

Wotherspoon is no more likely to make the NHL and his ceiling is best described as non-existant.

I like Matthew Phillips, but I truly do not know how his game will translate to the Pro game. The kid is tiny, we're talking smaller than Johnny tiny. And while we've seen Johnny do some pretty special stuff... I don't think Phillips has that Johnny kind of ability, skill, craftiness or shiftiness.

Who knows though; I unfortunately do not own a crystal ball.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I would like to see TSpoon prove he's right there with Kulak as far as pushing for a 6/7 spot.
Even if he doesn't play NHL he is already a dependable and important AHL vet.
Don't know if Phillips ever even gets to that level.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I like Matthew Phillips, but I truly do not know how his game will translate to the Pro game. The kid is tiny, we're talking smaller than Johnny tiny. And while we've seen Johnny do some pretty special stuff... I don't think Phillips has that Johnny kind of ability, skill, craftiness or shiftiness.

That's fine, but Wotherspoon is a nobody.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
That's fine, but Wotherspoon is a nobody.

That be a little strong of a statement, but "nobody" would really argue that point either. I actually don't mind Wotherspoon, but he's his own worst enemy. He should have had a full time job 2 years ago but he step up and take anything from anyone.

Like I said, gun to the head, at this point Phillips is more intriguing to me simply due to upside.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
That be a little strong of a statement,

Sure. And Spoon could carve out an Ian Cole type #5 career for all we know.

But my point is, Wotherspoon has no ability to really separate himself from a long shot prospect other than the fact that he is entering his draft+7 season without being a sure bet to even play 40 NHL games. while Phillips for example is entering his draft+2 and shows more potential.

I am not saying Wotherspoon is a scrub, but he doesn't have much of an argument over guys like Phillips, Tuulola, and McDonald all of whom could be someone impactful even if they are trending towards long shots. Those guys have way more runway ahead of them with more upside. As far as prospects go they are more valuable long term. Guys like Wotherspoon and Hathaway, even if we like them and consider them ready, are throwaway prospects with no value.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

The real problem isn't so much that he is tiny, it's that he doesn't have the ability to shelter the puck in the same way a player like Gaudreau does. Phillips gets separated from the puck more easily than almost any player I think I have ever watched. Is it something that can be fixed? Maybe.

For now though I honestly don't see him projecting as an NHL player.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The real problem isn't so much that he is tiny, it's that he doesn't have the ability to shelter the puck in the same way a player like Gaudreau does. Phillips gets separated from the puck more easily than almost any player I think I have ever watched. Is it something that can be fixed? Maybe.

For now though I honestly don't see him projecting as an NHL player.

He also gets knocked down a ton. He's an impressive little kid with some silky mitts, but he really needs to improve his strength. I know Johnny is quite slender, but he's actually pretty solid for his build.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Wotherspoon. Phillips is too small and that is not overblown because he gets knocked down all the time in junior, as a pro he stands no chance. The guy is so ****ing tiny a fart could knock him down

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->