WJC: 2017 Canada Roster Talk - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Pretty hard to sugar coat a shootout loss in the Gold Medal game.

However, going into the tournament I was seriously concerned that they weren't going to even medal. So overall I am happy with their performance.

And remember, at least we aren't Sweden. :sarcasm:

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Strome was just plain bad tonight. By no means does this guarantee him as a bust, but damn was he ever disappointing in this game. The tournament as a whole was somewhat shaky for him, I was hoping he'd score a couple and finish on a strong note but this was the complete opposite- slow, ineffective on the PP, some poor decisions with the puck, and his line was probably the worst of the 4. Jost was a much lesser player when he moved onto that line, and Speers didn't play well all tourney.

Depth on D was suspect as well. As unbelievable as Chabot was, you'd never expect a Team Canada d-man to ever have to play 11 mins per period.

But again, they lost the gold medal game in a shooutout; pretty much a coin flip at that point. I'm proud of this team, they played hard and well.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Strome was just plain bad tonight. By no means does this guarantee him as a bust, but damn was he ever disappointing in this game. The tournament as a whole was somewhat shaky for him, I was hoping he'd score a couple and finish on a strong note but this was the complete opposite- slow, ineffective on the PP, some poor decisions with the puck, and his line was probably the worst of the 4. Jost was a much lesser player when he moved onto that line, and Speers didn't play well all tourney.

Depth on D was suspect as well. As unbelievable as Chabot was, you'd never expect a Team Canada d-man to ever have to play 11 mins per period.

But again, they lost the gold medal game in a shooutout; pretty much a coin flip at that point. I'm proud of this team, they played hard and well.

I'm very proud of this team

USA I think we're overhyped. They did not dominate all their games but won

What lacked from this team Canada was pure gaol scorers

I truly believe the lack of goal scoring was due to the coaching staff thinking strome would be able to carry the gaol scoring

I also saw a lack of cycle aggressiveness on this team
I think next years team should be as fast and will have more aggressiveness

Yes I do believe that fast is the name of this sport

Fast first with lots of puck aggressiveness as a complement

Mattavarner

Apr 17, 2014
Strome is ****ing terrible, to win the tourney your best players need to be your best players, and he didn't even show up after the latvia game.
Parked himself in the slot waiting for the puck to come to him every single time, and when he did get it he was always trying to force a play that wasn't there.
Frustrating as **** to watch.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
What frustrated me the most was the coaching or lack of it. Or just a lack of general recognition from the players and staff all around.

Parsons is not the biggest goalie and he has a very wide and low stance. This has certain advantages and disadvantages. This wide and low stance allows him to get into the butterfly quickly and efficiently where he can dominate down low moving laterally. We saw that today. However, he was leaving the upper third of the net open all night. That's just the way he plays. Someone needed to identify that. Not one player even tested him high in the shootout and he was practically dropping to the ice before a lot of them even made their move.

I can't be the only one who saw this? I've watched Parsons for awhile though but it seems pretty obvious.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I thought the coaching was fine. I think coaching was actually one of the main reasons they got as far as they did.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
I thought the coaching was fine. I think coaching was actually one of the main reasons they got as far as they did.

I agree the q coach did well

I will say that it is time for hockey Canada to clean house

1 gold medal in 8 years? That is unacceptable.

Really need new people at the top

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I agree the q coach did well

I will say that it is time for hockey Canada to clean house

1 gold medal in 8 years? That is unacceptable.

Really need new people at the top

Only real beef I have with coaching is not changing the PP units more often. Barzal and Strome on the same PP is great against Latvia and such, but when it doesn't work, you need to change it.

Wasted opportunities against the USA tonight because of a lack of coaching on the PP. Strome/Barzal did not click on the PP together.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Did Dubois remind anyone else of Virtanen or just me?

And it's not just because of the number either...but I agree, however, I think Dubois showed a lot more flashes of being an effective player than Virtanen did. There were shifts where Dubois just took over and dominated downlow.

Then he would go and take a penalty to kill that momentum...

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario

I agree for the most part. But someone really needed to tell these kids to shoot high. I'm a goalie guy but I can't be the only one that saw it? I know someone on the leafs board was saying the same thing.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I agree for the most part. But someone really needed to tell these kids to shoot high. I'm a goalie guy but I can't be the only one that saw it? I know someone on the leafs board was saying the same thing.

I'm sure they went through a scouting report on Parsons, but it is up to the players to execute those shots not the coaching staff. This coaching staff made a not-so-talented Canadian roster come together in a very short tournament, and got them thisclose to the gold medal.

Looking at this roster there were a lot of doubts, but the coaching staff made something out of meh, IMO.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
I'm sure they went through a scouting report on Parsons, but it is up to the players to execute those shots not the coaching staff. This coaching staff made a not-so-talented Canadian roster come together in a very short tournament, and got them thisclose to the gold medal.

Looking at this roster there were a lot of doubts, but the coaching staff made something out of meh, IMO.

That would make sense. But it doesn't make sense that if there was a pre-game scouting report on Parson, why did 0/5 shooters even make an attempt up high? Hell all they had to do was look up rather than go with their pre-determined move. They all played right into his strengths where he was dominating all night.

I agree that this wasn't even close to the best Canada team we've iced in recent years and I'm content with Silver.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
That would make sense. But it doesn't make sense that if there was a pre-game scouting report on Parson, why did 0/5 shooters even make an attempt up high? Hell all they had to do was look up rather than go with their pre-determined move. They all played right into his strengths where he was dominating all night.

I agree that this wasn't even close to the best Canada team we've iced in recent years and I'm content with Silver.

Canada shooters seemed to be overthinking and that was evident with Roy's attempt. Thinking he has to make that extra move to beat Parsons. There were a couple times throughout the game where a Canadian player gave up a glorious shooting opportunity to try and make an extra move or make an extra pass.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Tough way to lose the gold medal, but I guess a silver is pretty good considering how little the odds seemed they'd even get this far based on how they played at the end of the round robin/first game against the Czechs.

Strome was a big disappointment. The guy is a 19 year old, 3rd overall pick, returning player who should have dominated. Instead, he looked largely invisible except against the weak teams in the tournament.

In total, I didn't think the "big guns" showed up when it mattered enough. Canada seemed to get sparks from its bottom six guys, but the stars didn't show up enough in key moments.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
People are being overly harsh with regards to Dylan Strome. He had 10 points in 7 games in the tournament. He is a fine player with a promising NHL future. It's not fair to take one kid and make him a scapegoat.

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
I agree that people saying he has no future are definitely taking it a bit too far but in general he did not have a good tournament. Most of his points were against the weaker competition or on the PP and his play overall was just not what we were expecting. Some of that blame can be placed on tsn I think for overhyping him and some blame should be towards him. He hardly created anything 5v5, looked slow, didn't move much on the PP and for whatever reasons, his wingers did statistically and through the eye-test look worse when on his wing compared to with others (Stephens, Dubois, Speers and Jost).

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
One thing I'll say is Barzal drove me insane. skilled yes, but is really not a team player and I hated watching him play. Always, ALWAYS went to his backhand and more often than not missed the net.
Powerplays died when he would get the puck as he never moved it, when he did pass, others seemed surprised because it was such a rare occurrence.
Lastly, defensively he was horrid. Was a turnover machine and 100% directly responsible for the U.S tying the gold medal game. Just get the damn puck out, stop looking to dangle and be so fancy.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
The role players/bottom 6 forwards were really impressive in this tournament. Without them Canada would potentially have not received a medal. The top forwards had flashes, but did not step up when they needed to. That was the difference.

jsalz16

Feb 21, 2010
Maybe I'm old or maybe it's how the game has evolved but I can't believe how many times a TC player had a chance to just flatten someone in open ice and didn't. For years the opposite was true and oposing teams would really think twice about cutting across east west looking. I love the fast, skilled game but I think the physicality of past teams is what really set them apart.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Maybe I'm old or maybe it's how the game has evolved but I can't believe how many times a TC player had a chance to just flatten someone in open ice and didn't. For years the opposite was true and oposing teams would really think twice about cutting across east west looking. I love the fast, skilled game but I think the physicality of past teams is what really set them apart.

You just honestly can't play like that anymore you will end up with lots of penalties

86Habs

May 4, 2009
The role players/bottom 6 forwards were really impressive in this tournament. Without them Canada would potentially have not received a medal. The top forwards had flashes, but did not step up when they needed to. That was the difference.

That, yes, and our defence corps (except Chabot of course) was about as thin as a piece of Kleenex - in terms of their d-zone coverage, questionable decision-making and ability to move the puck out of the zone effectively and consistently. Each of them had their good moments, but simply put this was not a stellar group of defencemen to begin with and losing Myers before the knock-out round was devastating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->