NFL: Young QB tracker/discussion/etc

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Years ago I had a thread that tracked young QB's such as Sanchez/Freeman/Ponder/Locker etc to see how they would develop and who would work out and who wouldn't and figured I would start it again given the depth of the 2017 and 2018 QB draft classes for young QB's starting in NFL now or soon

2017 QB Class

Starting now

1) Mitchell Trubisky (2nd overall - Chicago Bears)
Thru 13 NFL starts has shown very little. 2018 = New coach and no more excuses so its up to Mitchell to prove he has the talent to be NFL #1 or Bears will be forced to confront possiblity they threw away a 2nd overall pick

2) Patrick Mahomes (10th overall - Kansas City Chiefs)
Essentially redshirted his rookie year with Alex Smith around. Year 2 he is the man for first time and threw 4 TD's in opening day win vs Chargers. The sky is the limit for QB with all the tools to be something special in NFL

3) Deshaun Watson (12th overall - Houston Texans)
Had a phenomanal start to NFL career throwing for 19 TD's last year in 6 starts and appeared to be breakout star and sure fire OROY until knee injury ended his season. Is looking to get back to that level and stay healthy going forward

4) Nathan Peterman (171st overall - Buffalo Bills)
Poor Nathan , Doesn't have talent to be a #1 but is sacrifical lamb for slaughter until Josh Allen is given keys to franchise. Every start of his in NFL career thus far has been a nightmare with a 5 INT first half last year and posting a 0.0 this year in 1st half of opener before getting hook

Started some last year

1) DeShone Kizer (52nd overall - Cleveland Browns)
Playing in NFL is a dream come true but sometimes those dreams turn into nightmares. 22 INT's to just 11 TD's as a rookie for woeful Browns in 15 starts. Was traded to Packers and will likely sit as Rodgers #2 for a few years looking to rebuild his NFL stock until he gets another shot

2) C.J. Beathard (104th overall - San Fransisco 49ers)
Started 5 games for SF last year and had his moments. With acquisition of Garoppolo he was relegated to #2 role and likely will continue in that role for SF and in future of NFL career though could get a shot somewhere again down line

The others

1) Davis Webb (87th overall - New York Giants)
Spent rookie season as #3 in NY seeing no action. Waived by Giants at end of preseason and signed to Jets practice squad

2) Joshua Dobbs (135th overall - Pittsburgh Steelers)
Was #3 his rookie year in Pittsburgh seeing no action. Won #2 job this past camp/preseason and is now Big Ben's primary backup

3) Brad Kaaya (215th overall - Detroit Lions)
Drafted by Lions , Claimed off waivers by Panthers , Then waived by Panthers and claimed by Lions , Then signed by Colts off Lions practice squad in rookie year. Injured and waived/placed on IR by Colts during training camp this year

4) Chad Kelly (253rd overall - Denver Broncos)
Was on IR all of rookie year but won #2 job this year in camp. Could have an NFL future down line but for now is a backup for Broncos

5) Cooper Rush (UDFA - Dallas Cowboys)
Saw very limited action last year for Cowboys but is currently #2 on depth chart so its not inconceivable he can find way onto field in event of Prescott injury

6) Kyle Sloter (UDFA - Denver Broncos)
Waived by Broncos and signed to Vikes practice squad at end of last years offseason. Put on active roster weeks later and is still #3 on Vikings active roster for another season

7) QB Taysom Hill (UDFA - Green Bay Packers)
Waived by Packers but signed by Saints early last year. Was Saints #3 QB/ST player last year and appears to have same role this year

8) Phillip Walker (UDFA - Indianapolis Colts)
Spent 2017 on Colts practice squad and is on it again this year

9) Nick Mullens (UDFA - San Francisco 49ers)
Spent 2017 on 49ers practice squad and is on it again this year

2018 QB Class

Starting now

1) Sam Darnold (3rd overall - New York Jets)
Won job outright at end of preseason and had an excellent first NFL game after disastrous first throw (Pick 6)

Waiting for chance

1) Baker Mayfield (1st overall - Cleveland Browns)
Is #2 behind Tyrod Taylor but is expected to eventually get his shot this year especially if Taylor plays the way he did in opener for Browns

2) Josh Allen (7th overall - Buffalo Bills)
Played 2nd half for Bills in opener after Peterman failed miserably. Have to imagine he get handed the #1 job soon

3) Josh Rosen (10th overall - Arizona Cardinals)
#2 behind Bradford and will likely have to wait a little longer then others before getting his chance with a more established #1 in place

4) Lamar Jackson (32nd overall - Baltimore Ravens)
#2 behind Flacco and likely wont be starting anytime soon unless Flacco gets injured

5) Mason Rudolph (76th overall - Pittsburgh Steelers)
#3 in Pittsburgh behind Big Ben and Dobbs. Will be looking to stay around and eventually compete for #1 job as Big Ben winds down his career

6) Kyle Lauletta (108th overall - New York Giants)
#3 in New York behind Eli and journeyman Alex Tanney. Could find way onto field if Eli struggles and Giants end up on outs of playoffs

7) Mike White (171st overall - Dallas Cowboys)
#3 in Dallas currently but a potential cut option in future if the Cowboys decide to go with just 2 QB's down stretch

8) Luke Falk (199th overall - Tennessee Titans)
Waived by Titans at end of preseason and claimed by Dolphins. Currently #3 QB on Dolphins active roster

Others

1) Tanner Lee (203rd overall - Jacksonville Jaguars)
Waived by Jags at end of presason but signed to practice squad

2) Danny Etling (219th overall - New England Patriots)
Waived by Pats at end of preseason but signed to practice squad

3) Alex McGough (220th overall - Seattle Seahawks)
Waived by Seahawks at end of preseason but signed to practice squad

4) Logan Woodside (249th overall - Cincinatti Bengals)
Waived by Bengals at end of preseason but signed by Titans for practice squad

5) Luis Perez (UDFA - Los Angeles Rams)
Waived by Rams at end of presason but signed to practice squad

6) Chase Litton (UDFA - Kansas City Chiefs)
Waived by Chiefs at end of preseason but signed to practice squad

7) Kurt Benkert (UDFA - Atlanta Falcons)
Waived by Falcons at end of preseason but signed to practice squad

This year I went a little more expansive with entire list of drafted QB's and UDFA who are currently on NFL roster or on NFL Practice Squad

Sadly it appears that old thread didn't survive transition but this should be fun to follow in coming years

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
It is true discussions will be had about a QB who currently cant even play at a Shane Matthews level

But we have plenty of other QB's to talk about given the depth of these two drafts

Eight 1st rounders to track and some guys in later rounds who may be able to build solid NFL careers down line

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Realistically though this league might have a star power problem at QB going forward:

QB talent, like anything almost always comes in waves. If you look at the waves of the last...i guess 4 or so years, it is not looking promising

The only guy really living up to his billing thus far is Wentz, assuming he (hopefully) returns to form after his ACL injury. Goff remains to be seen.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Well some guys always do exceed expectations

Previous thread had alot of horrific busts form 2011 first round but guys like Dalton , Kaepernick and eventually Taylor became NFL #1's being drafted after 1st round (Taylor and Dalton became Pro Bowlers)

2010 draft was pretty horrific outside of Bradford at QB

2012 had some gems in later rounds (Wilson , Cousins and Foles)

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I don't think there will be a QB shortage. What the league needs is more Shanahan's and McVay's and less Gruden, O'Brien and McCarthy's.

Reactions: Bozle

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It is true discussions will be had about a QB who currently cant even play at a Shane Matthews level

But we have plenty of other QB's to talk about given the depth of these two drafts

Eight 1st rounders to track and some guys in later rounds who may be able to build solid NFL careers down line

If Trubisky is still at the same level at the end of this season, I think there's an issue.

As it is,

-He only really started one season in college, so he's behind a bit in terms of development.

-Played 12 games as a rookie last year on a bad team with a bad coach. Further, he had the worst set of WR's in the league. I saw in the other thread that got closed you mentioned the WR's weren't that bad, and I really have to wonder what you're talking about. None of those WR's are NFL starters (much less a #1 guy) and many are trending out of the league.

-Played one game this year.

He needs to take a step forward this year, that's for sure. He has (in theory) a coaching staff that will open things for him. They have added actual weapons on offense in Robinson, Miller, Burton and Gabriel. So if everyone stays healthy and Trubisky doesn't improve then it's time to ask questions.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Trubisky either can't or doesn't want to throw to his left. That's a major issue.

Eventually teams will pick up on that. It's the same thing that killed Rick Mirer

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Trubisky either can't or doesn't want to throw to his left. That's a major issue.

Eventually teams will pick up on that. It's the same thing that killed Rick Mirer

The drop off was so crazy from the MOF/Right that its alarming. Chad Kelly is the same except he can't really throw to either side lol.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California

This is where Trubisky has to improve. Burton was wide open at the top of his drop. He was uncovered presnap too.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
How do you miss that opening? I get the game moves fast and I'm not a pro but that's huge.

I feel like if I can make that read in Madden, a pro should be able to see a wide gap like that.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
How do you miss that opening? I get the game moves fast and I'm not a pro but that's huge.

I feel like if I can make that read in Madden, a pro should be able to see a wide gap like that.

I think Burton never was his primary option. It was that weird dump down screen. A more experienced QB would see Burton uncovered pre snap and immediately check to him. Again its hard to say because we don't know how he's coached or what he is asked to do.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think Burton never was his primary option. It was that weird dump down screen. A more experienced QB would see Burton uncovered pre snap and immediately check to him. Again its hard to say because we don't know how he's coached or what he is asked to do.

Yeah, you see this all the time but if a guy isn't your primary or secondary read down the field it doesn't really matter how open you are.

This looked like a designed screen anyway.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I both kinda agree and disagree. Cant coddle your top 5 pick forever but at the same time...that Bills roster is ****ing ghastly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->