OT: 2017 American Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Let the piling on continue

This is a bit extreme. Especially when they do have Richardson-Wilkerson-Williams on the D-line. That's great talent. Though they under-performed last year (Wilkerson was hurt)

Also Forte and Powell. And Jamal Adams is already looking great at safety.

If you're actually looking at things objectively the Jets have at absolute worst a league average defense. To say they have the worst talent in a decade is an absurd statement to make. This scout was likely fired by the Jets and is looking to just continue the media narrative of Jets bashing.

Remember that "Hackenberg will never make it" quip that leaked out by some source who used to work for the Jets? Well I'm not saying he definitely will make it but Hackenberg has actually made some impressive strides thus far. He's clearly moved past Petty on the depth chart. Maybe that isn't saying much but all this he doesn't belong in the league crap is quickly evaporating

Last edited:

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
This is a bit extreme. Especially when they do have Richardson-Wilkerson-Williams on the D-line. That's great talent. Though they under-performed last year (Wilkerson was hurt)

If you're actually looking at things objectively the Jets have at absolute worst a league average defense. To say they have the worst talent in a decade is an absurd statement to make. This scout was likely fired by the Jets and is looking to just continue the media narrative of Jets bashing.

Remember that "Hackenberg will never make it" quip that leaked out by some source who used to work for the Jets? Well I'm not saying he definitely will make it but Hackenberg has actually made some impressive strides thus far. He's clearly moved past Petty on the depth chart. Maybe that isn't saying much but all this he doesn't belong in the league crap is quickly evaporating

Nah, they have the worst roster in the league. Their defense is not average. You can't have an "average" defense in this league with no corners. C'mon man. Even if they end up allowing average numbers this season, it's more likely because their offense averaged 9 points a game and other teams didn't need to score a ton, rather than the Jets D being average.

As for offense, they have by far the worst roster. Not close.

Who do you think has a worse roster? The 49ers and Rams? Even if I give you those two, they are 3rd from last.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Decker lands with Tennessee on a 1 year deal. That offense is starting to look like dynamite

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore

You're basing anything anyone is doing on OTAs. OTAs mean nothing but hype.

You're setting yourself up for disappointment. First, there will be two rookies at safety. They are going to get burned dozens of times over learning the position. It took Atlanta's safeties over 10 games to even get to NFL average. The LBs are complete garbage. The corners aren't much better.

The offense is a disaster in the making. The QB situation is laughable. But before they can even get a interception off, who's going to block for them? They might have the worst O-line in football. What hole are Forte and Powell going to run through?

Back to QBs. Hackenberg couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from 10 feet away and accuracy is not something that can be taught. If Hackenberg was making strides, then why were they really hesitant to even put him on the roster last year? Petty has been overrated by the team since day 1. And Josh McCown? :biglaugh:

If they get the ball off, who's going to catch the ball? Enunwa is a #3, #2 at best. Enunwa is not going to be able to shake a #1 corner's coverage. Who's the #2 receiver? Who's the TE?

This team will be lucky to score 15 TDs next year. But that's a part of the plan. They have to get the kid from USC or the other one from Wyoming. You can't win in the NFL unless you have a top 10 QB or an decade elite defense.

They will be losing a lot of games 31-10. Just accept it.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
What's the point of calling Football "American Football"

When did this start? When I was growing up it was just football?

It's kind of like saying Water Swimming or Air Flying.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You're basing anything anyone is doing on OTAs. OTAs mean nothing but hype.

You're setting yourself up for disappointment. First, there will be two rookies at safety. They are going to get burned dozens of times over learning the position. It took Atlanta's safeties over 10 games to even get to NFL average. The LBs are complete garbage. The corners aren't much better.

The offense is a disaster in the making. The QB situation is laughable. But before they can even get a interception off, who's going to block for them? They might have the worst O-line in football. What hole are Forte and Powell going to run through?

Back to QBs. Hackenberg couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from 10 feet away and accuracy is not something that can be taught. If Hackenberg was making strides, then why were they really hesitant to even put him on the roster last year? Petty has been overrated by the team since day 1. And Josh McCown? :biglaugh:

If they get the ball off, who's going to catch the ball? Enunwa is a #3, #2 at best. Enunwa is not going to be able to shake a #1 corner's coverage. Who's the #2 receiver? Who's the TE?

This team will be lucky to score 15 TDs next year. But that's a part of the plan. They have to get the kid from USC or the other one from Wyoming. You can't win in the NFL unless you have a top 10 QB or an decade elite defense.

They will be losing a lot of games 31-10. Just accept it.

As a fellow Jet fan sufferer, I laughed at the bolded a lot more than I should have.

What's the point of calling Football "American Football"

When did this start? When I was growing up it was just football?

Probably just to distinguish it from the soccer thread, which purists call football.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
As a fellow Jet fan sufferer, I laughed at the bolded a lot more than I should have.

Probably just to distinguish it from the soccer thread, which purists call football.

They should just call soccer soccer. As is done in America

Hackenberg is actually looking better but the media narrative is still overly negative it seems. I don't get why everybody is so eager to see him fail. Really I'd be hard pressed to find an NFL QB who has had such harsh judgement passed against him before taking the field.

I actually think he is progressing at a normal rate. He's pretty clearly better than Petty right now.

For all the overhyped busts at Jets QB I have a funny feeling that the one guy who turns out great is the guy nobody ever expected would.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
They should just call soccer soccer. As is done in America

Hackenberg is actually looking better but the media narrative is still overly negative it seems. I don't get why everybody is so eager to see him fail. Really I'd be hard pressed to find an NFL QB who has had such harsh judgement passed against him before taking the field.

I actually think he is progressing at a normal rate.

They drafted him a round or two early.
He had a bad college career.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If you had Bill O'Brien as the coach MAYBE I could see getting something out of Hackenberg. But unless this new o-coordinator from the Saints is a QB whisperer it's not like they have anyone else available to teach this guy. McCown's a good mentor for off-field stuff, that's it. And Bowles? :laugh: Child please.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The Jets are the worst NFL team in a decade?

Gimme' a break. The season hasnt even started, and total hyperbole.

2016 Browns went 1-15
2014 Titans went 2-14
2012 Jaguars went 2-14
2009 Rams went 1-15
2008 Chiefs went 2-14
2008 Lions went 0-16
2007 Dolphins went 1-15

That's a LOT of competition right there, and I bet the Jets win at least 4 games.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
They drafted him a round or two early.
He had a bad college career.

Definitely not bad. He just ended up in the worst possible situation and got absolutely battered. It's tough to really evaluate a guy when he has 1.7 seconds to throw.

Almost looked shell shocked at times

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Definitely not bad. He just ended up in the worst possible situation and got absolutely battered. It's tough to really evaluate a guy when he has 1.7 seconds to throw.

Almost looked shell shocked at times

Tell me why you think Christian Hackenberg is good

mind you, basically every single media person, fan, etc has agreed that he is terrible. I'd just like to know what you've seen that makes you think hes going to be any good.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
If it wasn't for Gase I'd dismiss it as just another Tanny name signing. But the Fish are the only team that makes remote sense for Cutler because of Gase and the fact Cutler had his best year for him. If Cutler does bomb they still have Moore, who's better than a lot of 2's, let alone 3's.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
These are actually my favorite seasons as a Jets fan, when I have 0 expectations. :laugh:

It's when I have expectations like last year that I get burned.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
What a DUMB signing by the Dolphins (Cutler)

What other choice do they have? This is their most talented roster in recent memory and they arent going to waste a year.

Please don't tell me Matt Moore. That guy is fine for 2-3 games at a time but he is not a full time starter

I trust Gase. He got Cutler to play some of his best football 2 years ago in Chicago.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Yikes.

Feel bad for him, would've like to see how he did being the top target.

I do feel like they have plenty of talent in the WR room but all of it is raw. It could get even uglier.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
They might as well just give Hackenberg and Petty a blindfold and a cigarette if they're going to throw them out there with the garbage that's on the O-line and green kids that don't have top-end talent at WR.

The D alone is probably going to prevent the Jets from getting a top two pick the way they should, but this offense is going to be PG-13. Here you go kids, throw the ball with a horrible offensive line to green low-round/UDFA receivers! Well that's one way to prevent INT's, make sure the QB's can't get the ball off in the first place, or have nobody open to throw to.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
They might as well just give Hackenberg and Petty a blindfold and a cigarette if they're going to throw them out there with the garbage that's on the O-line and green kids that don't have top-end talent at WR.

The D alone is probably going to prevent the Jets from getting a top two pick the way they should, but this offense is going to be PG-13. Here you go kids, throw the ball with a horrible offensive line to green low-round/UDFA receivers! Well that's one way to prevent INT's, make sure the QB's can't get the ball off in the first place, or have nobody open to throw to.

Sackenberg was thrown out of a recent practice for not mastering the playbook.
What a wasted draft pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->