OT: 2017 American Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I've been hearing a fair amount of push back on this recently.

Some reasons for the low completions %

1)Play in Wyoming. Cold and windy.

2)WR's that don't run well, and don't catch well either.

3)They play a down the field passing game. Not many easy short completions to be had.

he is Kyle Boller.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
This could either be great if the Giants pass on Darnold or disasterous if they don't.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
he is Kyle Boller.
So you discount the reasonings I mentioned?

Edit: Allen's %'s are also better then Boller's were. Boller played 4 years, 3 of those years he was under 50%. His best year, his senior year, he was at 53%. Allen was 56% in both his soph and junior year. Obviously we will never know what he could have done as a Senior.

Allen is also bigger.

Last edited:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
So you discount the reasonings I mentioned?

yes, because plenty of other QBs play in bad weather. There is also bad weather in the NFL so if he is that affected by it, he is going to have a bad time.

Also, he played at Wyoming. While his roster might not have been great, he also played against lesser competition than some of his peers and did not put up great numbers while doing it. Great QBs can elevate the players around him and there is no evidence that he can do that.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
yes, because plenty of other QBs play in bad weather. There is also bad weather in the NFL so if he is that affected by it, he is going to have a bad time.

Also, he played at Wyoming. While his roster might not have been great, he also played against lesser competition than some of his peers and did not put up great numbers while doing it. Great QBs can elevate the players around him and there is no evidence that he can do that.
Still, he had better collegiate #'s then Boller. Better physical gifts as well.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Allen's comp % in both his Soph and Junior years was 56%.

Rosen's, in those same years was 59% and 62%. Better, but not a drastic difference. Plus factor in the reasonings from above.

We've all seen California QB's who excel in college but not so much in the pro's.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
We've also seen plenty of Big 12 QB's, or system QB's or whatever put up big college #'s.

These other factors need to be considered.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Playing PAC 10 teams is a lot different than playing Mountain West teams
it is. but if he's throwing balls that are bouncing off his WR's hands, then that is a legit consideration. As is playing a down the field the field attacking style as opposed to a West coast offense, or some sort of spread offense.

And finding some some guy from 15 years ago who had a bad completion % who turned out to be a mediocre pro really doesn't do much for the conversation.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Cleveland isn't taking Mayfield. Especially after the Manziel comparisons (even if they're mostly unjustified) they will not go down that road again and risk a second implosion. It's the same reason NYJ won't take Allen. He's a rich mans Hackenberg. Not happening. Whoever both teams draft may end up being a mistake but they'll make sure it's a different kind of mistake

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
It's not a good comparison

Allen is going to be an excellent NFL QB

both are QBs who have all the physical traits and look the part but have horrendous accuracy issues...its actually a very apt comparison

I think Allen is better than Boller, but you're lying if you don't at least see why the comparisons are made.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Now this new tweet controversy is a whole other thing.

Yeah I didn’t even want Allen before this, now I’m really running for the hills. Any of the other three even Rosen I could live with.

I love when the offensive tweets surface on these things. It's almost like teenagers are really, really stupid. What a shock!

Also why you have to be very very careful on social media.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
It's not a good comparison

Allen is going to be an excellent NFL QB

No evidence points to that. He's going to need to sit and learn for a while. Get coached up, eliminate bad habits. Lots of work with him. I would like to see him succeed in the league but I wouldn't count on it as of now

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
both are QBs who have all the physical traits and look the part but have horrendous accuracy issues...its actually a very apt comparison

I think Allen is better than Boller, but you're lying if you don't at least see why the comparisons are made.
56% is not good, but it's not horrendous either. As noted Rosen was 59% last year and is considered the best pure passer in the draft.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Yeah I didn’t even want Allen before this, now I’m really running for the hills. Any of the other three even Rosen I could live with.

Also why you have to be very very careful on social media.
I liked him the most of the 4 QB's.

The tweet to me is something that will blow over, but will be a complete poop storm for the next day or two. Enough so that it could scare off a team like the Giants. Cleveland too probably as I'd guess they want to walk away from day 1 as kings for the day.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Allens tweets are a burger o' nothing. He was a kid. He has since matured. He did well in his interviews. He tested extremely well. Everybody loves his character and his physical gifts.

It's his on field play that's the red flag.

Wherever he ends up he is going to end up a project and lay low for a while trying to correct his bad habits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->