Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Draw took place today

CvJwpiQXgAAnj-C.jpg

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Algeria always seem to get these tough groups

Group D is essentially the World Cup qualifying group with Mali except Guinea :laugh:

As usual the hosts get a relatively soft group

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Interesting potential scenario. Cote D'Ivoire boot Morocco next month in Morocco then help exclude Morocco from the out rounds of the 2017 AFCON. Morocco fires Renard, and Cote D'Ivoire decides not to renew Dussuyer and brings back Renard. I could see this happening.

Also, I never knew before today how fierce the rivalry is between Maroc and Algerie. I thought the north african teams would like each other more.

Last edited:

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
It's not as fierce as Algeria vs Egypt

Morocco is gonna ne so good with Renard
Renard's main attributes are his recruiting and his flexibility. He's not a tactical genius, his offenses have absolutely no form, hence why he's never been able to keep a Ligue 1 job. When he got here everyone celebrated him getting Boufal but I honestly thought securing Tannane was bigger. Boufal overlaps with Belhanda and Ziyech, he can't play all of them at once, kinda the Algeria dilemma with all the attacking midfielders. Tannane however is a true upgrade on that right wing and he was easily their best player against Gabon.

They need to do much better than they did against Gabon offensively, DR Congo's offense is actually marginally better than Gabon's, but if they beat DR Congo they could sneak into the out rounds.

I hope Algeria play Cote D'Ivoire in the finals, that or Senegal/Cote D'Ivoire. Far and away the three best teams in CAF. In AFCON for some reason upsets before 2013 were the norm (as opposed to WC qualifiers), hopefully we get none of those this year, just the best teams go through and win out.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Renard's main attributes are his recruiting and his flexibility. He's not a tactical genius, his offenses have absolutely no form, hence why he's never been able to keep a Ligue 1 job. When he got here everyone celebrated him getting Boufal but I honestly thought securing Tannane was bigger. Boufal overlaps with Belhanda and Ziyech, he can't play all of them at once, kinda the Algeria dilemma with all the attacking midfielders. Tannane however is a true upgrade on that right wing and he was easily their best player against Gabon.

They need to do much better than they did against Gabon offensively, DR Congo's offense is actually marginally better than Gabon's, but if they beat DR Congo they could sneak into the out rounds.

I hope Algeria play Cote D'Ivoire in the finals, that or Senegal/Cote D'Ivoire. Far and away the three best teams in CAF. In AFCON for some reason upsets before 2013 were the norm (as opposed to WC qualifiers), hopefully we get none of those this year, just the best teams go through and win out.

Nice post

But finals?

Us?

Hahahahahahahahaha

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Nice post

But finals?

Us?

Hahahahahahahahaha
Why not? Algeria are the prohibitive favorites (as nominated by others) to win, they were last time too. Most people think they're head and shoulders above the others. What I've read most people think 1. Algeria 2. Senegal 3. Cote D'Ivoire

But there's a reason people keep rating Cote D'Ivoire so low, they can't identify the strength of the team. The strength of the team is the defense, they haven't conceded more than a goal in the last 19 games, 19. Of course streaks are built to end, and records are made to be broken, eventually it will happen, however, Algeria and Senegal are the only two teams that have a realistic shot at scoring 2 goals against Cote D'Ivoire, and then they must hope they don't concede 2 to Gervinho, Kalou, Gradel etc.

I think Cote D'Ivoire will win, because I'm biased, but Algeria have a good shot. Senegal is also an incredibly dangerous team, the 3 are in their own tier.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Nice with arab nations like Algeria, Tunisia, Egypt and Morocco. They are better than most people think.....probaly on the same level as Belgium and Croatia.

But why is other arab nations like Libyia, Iraq, Syria, Saudi, Lebanon etc so bad?

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Nice with arab nations like Algeria, Tunisia, Egypt and Morocco. They are better than most people think.....probaly on the same level as Belgium and Croatia.

But why is other arab nations like Libyia, Iraq, Syria, Saudi, Lebanon etc so bad?

Have you ever heard of a television programme called 'The News?'

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015

*drops phone and chokes on water*
:eek:

By the way @PowerMan
https://jnewsfoot.com/2015/03/03/na...sri-qui-ma-convaincu-de-jouer-pour-la-france/
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...has-no-intention-of-playing-for-france-again/
Oh the irony...

Last edited:

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Group C Probable Depth Charts

CIV Probable Depth Chart

Gervinho - Kodjia - Kalou (Gradel - Bony - Sio)
Serey - Kessie - Seri (Doukoure - Angban - Gnoukouri)
Kanon - Bailly - Kone - Aurier (A.Traore - Djidji - Viera - Bagayoko)
Gbohouo (Mande - Badra)

I want Lacina Traore and Seydou Doumbia as well but it looks unlikely. Brice Dja Djedje will be starting with Watford so I'd like him as well but it also seems unlikely, he'll be back. Kodjia will get shut down by the good countries, but will feast on the easy ones. Also, Dussuyer is recruiting some personnel for this tournament, but until they commit I won't update.

MAROC Probable Depth Chart

Amrabat - El Arabi - Tannane (Hadad - En-Nesryi - Carcela-Gonzalez)
Ziyech - El Ahmadi - Belhanda (Fajr - Boufal - Boussoufa)
Lazaar - Da Costa - Benatia - Ait Bennasser (Mendyl - Abdelhammid - Saiss - Chafik)
Munir (Bono - El Kharroubi)

DRC Probable Depth Chart

Bakambu - Mbokani (Assombalonga - Bokila) (Bolingi)
Bolasie - Kebano (Mpoku - Botaka)
Mbemba - Maghoma (Mulumba - Bokadi)
Mutambala - Tisserand - Zakuani - Mpeko (N'Simba - Botuli - Oualembo)
Matampi (Kudimbana - Lomboto)

They might get Dodi Lukebakio, we'll see, even so he has work to do to make the Toulouse roster.

Togo Probable Depth Chart

Ayite- Adebayor - Gapke (Dossevi - Fessou - Abraw)
Nouwoklo - Romao - Atakora (Eniful - Wome - Amewou)
Mamah - Akapko - Amevor - Djene (Ouro-Akori - Bossou - Kodjo - Mensah)
Agassa (Djehani - Yacoubou)

Last edited:

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Ok, Cote D'Ivoire were just dealt a blow. Eric Bailly had the injury today, he'll probably be back in time for the AFCON but he will for sure miss the match in Marrakesh. That means Wilfried Kanon will slide over to his natural position at CB, and Adama Traore (LB for the team that PSG destroyed in the UCL last week) will fill in at LB. The drop-off shouldn't be large, if noticeable, I fully believe someone is going to shell 20 million for Kanon in the next few years. Problem is that it displays our lack of depth. Dja Djedje is hurt so we don't yet have a good backup for Aurier, CB backups after Kanon are Ousmane Viera (team daddy, mascot) and Simon Deli (Dussuyer recruit in Czech Republic).

There's Koffi Djidji, Evilo any thoughts? I hear from the Ivorian crowd that he's the best player at Nantes but I can't imagine that being unbiased. He finally healed up so he's an option.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Best player in Nantes is Amine Harit, though he struggles in the last play.
Djidji has been pretty decent, but this is a team that doesn't work well, so it's hard to say.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad