2017 7-Round Mock Draft 1.0 (All GMs See Post #926!!)

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
:caps select

Ivan Prosvetov, G, Minnesota (NAHL)

Thanks for running this risto

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
**Announcement**

THIS ONLY APPLIES TO PEOPLE CURRENTLY IN THE MOCK. I will be hosting another one starting March 2nd, after the deadline. I may post the thread before that, and feel free to post your rosters and trade block, but no moves can be made until March 2nd, and all deals made in real life at the deadline will be honored. That's also the day I will conduct the lottery.

If you want in, you may claim your team first come, first serve on this thread. As always, I'm holding onto Buffalo and McMozesmadness has claimed Vegas. Feel free to choose a new team or stay with the one you were in this one. Also, if you don't want in, let me know so I know how many more people I need to find.

I'll update this post with the claimed teams for the next one.

Claimed Teams
Anaheim: heusy_79
Arizona: FinPanda
Buffalo: Ristoreilly
Calgary: Pondcake
Chicago: Teemu
Colorado: Ermo20
Detroit: Rare Jewel
Edmonton: Zemgus26
Florida: uncleben85
New Jersey: belair
NY Islanders: BTrotts19
NY Rangers: Joey Bones
Tampa Bay: 5cotland
Toronto: Patmac40
Vegas: McMozesmadness

I'll take :canes

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
This was the smoothest, fastest mock I've ever been in.

I feel like some fancy rich person being in all of the private Risto mocks.

Congrats to everyone, and thanks to Risto for comishing the heck out of these things.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
**Announcement**

THIS ONLY APPLIES TO PEOPLE CURRENTLY IN THE MOCK. I will be hosting another one starting March 2nd, after the deadline. I may post the thread before that, and feel free to post your rosters and trade block, but no moves can be made until March 2nd, and all deals made in real life at the deadline will be honored. That's also the day I will conduct the lottery.

If you want in, you may claim your team first come, first serve on this thread. As always, I'm holding onto Buffalo and McMozesmadness has claimed Vegas. Feel free to choose a new team or stay with the one you were in this one. Also, if you don't want in, let me know so I know how many more people I need to find.

Claimed Teams
Carolina: showjaxx

:jets please

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I want to hear some summaries.

:blues

-my trades probably weren't too hot....but I got a goalie for the Blues (Bishop) and I like the addition of Coburn....in theory....can't say anything too eventful for the pro-team though.

-added some goalie depth and a wing spec in Dreidger and Gagne....kind of meh prospect wise on the tradefront as well. Although I did add a 2nd which ended up being Nick Henry.

-Draft Summary;

1-19 Lias Andersson, C, HV71 (Sweden) - I think he goes top 15 so good value at that spot. Good Leadership and two-way ability for this Swede who has shown ability to translate his game to the Swedish mens league. Will hopefully become a "driver" at the NHL level.

2-46 Nick Henry, RW, Regina (WHL) - Seems to be billed as a complimentary scorere. A lot of people would credit his scoring pace to Sam Steel...but I don't think you can discount how well he has done in his first year.

2-50 Grant Mismash, LW, USA NTDP (USHL) - I've read a comparison to Corey Perry. So he is a big physical scoring forward....headed to UND for seasoning.

4-112 Cameron Crotty, D, Brockville (CCHL) - Great skating defender headed to BU I think. Seems like a guy who could rise dramatically after his draft year.

5-129 Ty Lewis, LW, Brandon (WHL) - Maybe a late bloomer. Lewis has finally stuck on the championship Wheatkings and is putting up decent numbers if you still considered him a rookie.

6-174 Nicky Leivermann, D, Eden Prairie (HS-MN) - Leading scoring among the defenders of Eden Prairie HS and Captain of the team. Headed to Notre Dame. A bit undersized.

7-205 Jakub Pour, LW, Plzen (Czech) - Not too sure about him. He likes Ovechkin. Played in some Five Nations tourneys and may end up in NA according to the poorly translated interview I read.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
First off, a huge amount of thanks to Ristoreilly for running a smooth, fast moving draft....thoroughly enjoyed it and looking forward to the next one !! :handclap::handclap:

:isles DRAFT SUMMARY

The team had a limited number of picks but added quality to the stable at the amateur level and are excited to add Anthony Duclair, who is a young dynamic winger to fortify their top 6. The expansion draft forced us to say goodbye to Thomas Hickey, and we wish him well in the desert, but are happy to have not lost any of their young defensemen and with the loss of #14, opens up a spot for our kids to flourish in full time roles. Of course we will keep an eye out on the open market and if an experienced defenseman becomes available, we will have the cap space to add. Team is excited to have Matt Barzal begin his professional career, centering veterans Andrew Ladd and Jason Chimera.

Our #1 selection Gabe Vilardi will compete for a spot on the roster in October but happy to let him blossom to become a key cog in the future of the organization. He certainly has the skills to be a very good top 6 center. His size, strength, scoring ability and excellent hockey IQ will be on display and Islander nation will be very fortunate to have another play-making smart center who will obviously learn from our captain when his time comes on the big club.

Our 2nd round selection Henri Jokiharju is a very good defenseman to add to the young upcoming blue liners and were surprised he was available for us at the #34 overall. We are expecting big things from him and as his game flourishes we will put him in a position to succeed. With the deep pool of blue liners in the system, adding one more talent is a strength of our organization.

Our final selection, in the 7th round, Corson Green is a big strong kid who will begin the next chapter of his hockey life in the collegiate ranks and we will track his progress.

The New York Islanders had a very good Draft, adding quality over quantity, adding key pieces at the NHL level and the junior ranks and once the business of signing John Tavares to his long term extension is complete we will be focused bringing a Championship back to Islander Nation.

Last edited:

FrodoBeggins

Jun 26, 2016
Kerch
You aren't in this mock, and the bolded part states this announcement only applies to those in this mock. Sorry.

Very sorry. Again at the savages will be a bad manager. Or the one that is poorly versed in the prospects or the one that will do terrible exchanges.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
:nashville

#18 Callan Foote RD Kelowna Rockets WHL 6'3 / 215 lbs
#49 Antoine Morand C Acadie-Bathurst Titan QMJHL 5'10 / 180 lbs
#80 Jarret Tyszka LD Seattle Thunderbirds WHL 6'3 / 190 lbs
#111 Emil Bemstrom C Leksands IF SHL 5'10 / 180 lbs
#142 Alexander Polunin LW Lokomotiv Yaroslavl KHL 5'9 / 175 lbs
#173 Linus Nyman RW Kingston Frontenacs OHL 5'9 / 160 lbs
#179 Denis Smirnov LW Penn State University NCAA 5'9 / 185 lbs
#204 Shawn Boudrias RW Gatineau Olympiques QMJHL 6'3 / 200 lbs

Quite happy with how the draft turned out overall.

With the addition of Foote, Nashville now has a surplus of young and talented right handed d-men coming in, most of them with top 4 NHL potential.

May not have selected Tyszka myself, but am quite happy with the pick too. Never hurts to have some left handed defensemen in your system.

Forward prospect depth was quite thin but it got restocked with Bemstrom and Morand down the middle, the Russian overagers Smirnov and Polunin on the wing along with Nyman and a longer term project in Boudrias who I was really surprised to still see on the board in the 7th rnd.

And as for the March 2nd draft, count me in as :nucks

SabresSociety

Jan 3, 2014
**Announcement**

Claimed Teams
Montreal: TT1
Ottawa: edguy
Vancouver: King Weber
Winnipeg: Zaddy Zads

Columbus please

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
**Announcement**

Claimed Teams
Columbus: ZGirgs28

I'll take Boston

Jul 10, 2003
KW
**Announcement**

Claimed Teams
Boston: FlamerForLife
Columbus: ZGirgs28

Philly please and thanks!

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
:panthers Draft Summary

Heading into the offseason, a large goal for the Florida Panthers was to add size and toughness to the team. We in Florida believe we have put together a team that will no longer be afraid to bite back! Defensive depth was another concern that we attempted to address.

Adding the likes of Andrew Shaw, Roman Polak, Viktor Loov, and Ryan Collins both size and defensive depth were addressed. Adding a great veteran like Jack Johnson, at a reasonable price was icing on the cake.

Garrett Sparks will hopefully push our several goaltending prospects at the minor league level and can step in an emergency backup role if needed.

Many thanks to the players we parted ways with. Reto Berra, Graham Black, Patrick Shea, and Mackenzie Weegar. Shea and Weegar especially are two young players that we feel can one day contribute to their new teams. We wish them all the best.
Special wishes go to Alex Petrovic, who was ripped too soon from our hands by Vegas. Best of luck Alex!

Our draft went well. Unfortunately we were looking to add more picks, to help fill our quickly emptying cupboards, but were not able to. That said our focus was on defense, again, and forwards that could potentially play multiple positions down the road. While we were looking for players that would be ready to play sooner than later, we are comfortable with the mix we got.

Second round, 43rd overall: Pierre-Olivier Joseph - D - Charlottetown Islanders - 6'0", 161lb
Joseph is a prospect who has really improved his value in this his draft season. Joseph's confidence and poise is hard to ignore on the ice. He has good movement and vision, and projects to be a solid PP contributor in the NHL.

Third round, 64th overall: Jake Leschyshyn - C - Regina Pats - 5'11", 181lb
Son of former NHLer Curtis Leschyshyn, Jake chose to go the direction of forward instead of defense, a decision that seems to be working out for him. Jake plays a solid two-way game, and inherited a strong drive and understanding of the game from his father. While he may be a "safer" pick, if Jake can demonstrate the same dedication, consistency, and commitment his father did, he may be in for a long NHL career as well.

Fifth round, 136th overall: Kasper Kotkansalo - D - Sioux Falls Stampede - 6'2", 190lb
The Florida Panthers are comfortable in saying we had no intention of taking Kotkansalo with this pick... because we did not believe for a second he would still be around! A defender with good size, Kotkansalo is a shutdown defender, who can still contribute offensively to your team and generate chances. Kasper makes good passes and is not afraid to throw his body around if need be. While Kasper will need some time adjusting to the North American ice, he will have plenty of time to adjust as he has committed to Boston University next year to play with impressive bloodlines like Ty Amonte and 2018 top prospect Brady Tkachuk as well as potentially partnering up with BU linchpins Charlie McAvoy and Dante Fabbro.

Sixth round, 171st overall: Daniil Skorikov - C/W - Tolpar Ufa - 6'3", 174lb
With a slender frame, Skorikov will likely need to fill out a little more (and he has already since the beginning of the season) over the next couple seasons. The versatile forward has demonstrated skill and goal scoring prowess at both the U16 and U17 level and now needs to take that step forward at the next level. Expect Skorikov to spend the next year or two in Russia developing, but he may make a North American appearance before you know it.

Seventh round, 200th overall: Tobias Geisser - D - EV Zug - 6'4", 201lb
At 6'4" Geisser has amazing reach, but needs to work on his upper body strength. While his development has been slow, it has been steady, becoming a reliable defender that can play in most situations. While he will likely be a longer term project for Florida, with all of his international experience the Panthers will be watching very carefully at the 2018 World Juniors to see if he can step up and be an important piece for Team Switzerland.

Updated Roster

Great thanks to Risto for hosting such an amazing draft! :handclap:

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2003
KW
This was the smoothest, fastest mock I've ever been in.

I feel like some fancy rich person being in all of the private Risto mocks.

Congrats to everyone, and thanks to Risto for comishing the heck out of these things.

Well said.

Great job Risto, I know how much work it is.

MrClutch86

Aug 23, 2013
Tampa
:bolts complete team
Drouin ($4M) - Stamkos ($8.5M) - Kucherov ($4.766667M)
Gusev ($825,000) - Nugent-Hopkins ($6M) - Eberle ($6M)
Killorn ($4.5M) - Point ($686,667) - Mantha ($863,333)
Paquette ($812,500) - Boyle ($2.25) - Boll ($900,000)
Yakupov ($950,000)

Hedman ($7.875M) - Stralman ($4.5M)
Garrison ($4.6M) - Green ($4.5-1.5M retained)
Koekkoek ($1.2M) - Hickey ($2.2M)

Vasilevski ($3.5)
Nilsson ($1M)

Cap 75,000,000
Spent $70,420,030
Cap Space = $4,579,970

Added prospects:
Dunn
Barbashev
few others

Traded prospects:
Howden

Draft picks:
Popugayev
Rasanen
Binner
Studenic
Anokhovsky

Thanks to RistoReilly for hosting this draft. I will be sitting out the next one but hope to partake in another in the near future.

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
Risto just out of curiosity when will you open the remaining teams for people not registered in this one?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->