Player Discussion: Alexander Volkov

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Must have admit I wasn't the only one was shocked to see that we decided to choose him with are 2nd pick, hoping that this pays off.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Must have admit I wasn't the only one was shocked to see that we decided to choose him with are 2nd pick, hoping that this pays off.

I'm with others that pretend that we chose Lipitov in the second and Volkov in the 3rd.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Seems like a safe pick. Doesn't have any explosive characteristics you might be looking for in a first or second round selection, but he plays a very projection worthy pro style game it seems. Steve and Al love great international experience, too.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
First player to sign from the 2017 class? I'm not just talking Lightning prospects either.

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Really curious about this pick by you guys. What's his next season gonna look like in Syracuse? Will he be top 6? Thx!

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Really curious about this pick by you guys. What's his next season gonna look like in Syracuse? Will he be top 6? Thx!

I think we are all curious about him. Kind of a off the map pick by Yzerman and co. Good thing is that when we have done that we have been pretty successful at it. Even though SY hasn't been perfect at his job and at drafting he's still made some amazing decisions to get our team one of the elites.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

It's hard to say because he was injured a bit last year. He's not a big time scorer as you can tell in how he didn't light up the MHL like most top Russians do. He did play 15 games in the VHL so he has experience playing against professionals and men. He has a good frame too, so he should come in with similar expectations as some of the other rookies joining Syracuse. We are a bit deeper on the left so he most likely starts on the 3rd or 4th line and has to work his way up. Thinking he can be a 10-15-25 guy which a strong two way game and an endless motor, left handed Stephens type.

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Thanks! What's the consensus after the pre-season. Seemed like he was pretty effective already. Bolts have become my 2nd team/team in the east!

It's hard to say because he was injured a bit last year. He's not a big time scorer as you can tell in how he didn't light up the MHL like most top Russians do. He did play 15 games in the VHL so he has experience playing against professionals and men. He has a good frame too, so he should come in with similar expectations as some of the other rookies joining Syracuse. We are a bit deeper on the left so he most likely starts on the 3rd or 4th line and has to work his way up. Thinking he can be a 10-15-25 guy which a strong two way game and an endless motor, left handed Stephens type.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
4-point night.

After scoring just 1 point through first 10 games, he has 11 points in the last 14.

Possible call up? Is there room?

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
4-point night.

After scoring just 1 point through first 10 games, he has 11 points in the last 14.

Maybe when injuries happen. But even then I doubt he'll be the first guy they call up.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
4-point night.

No room right now, although maybe he gets a cup of coffee instead of Conacher if anything happens.

I imagine Peca is the first call up though.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Volkov not ready. He has a pretty good wrister but still lots of warts. I’m projecting him at 2 years out from cup of coffee. From the prospects Erne, Cirelli, and Joseph are ahead. From the veterans Peca and Bournival are ahead as well.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Volkov not ready. He has a pretty good wrister but still lots of warts. I’m projecting him at 2 years out from cup of coffee. From the prospects Erne, Cirelli, and Joseph are ahead. From the veterans Peca and Bournival are ahead as well.
I would guess his runway is shorter for the simple fact that he's a natural RW, and we are short on those in the organization right now. Maybe we convert a center to wing instead if it comes to that, but I do think there's a preference - when possible - of playing people in their natural position.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
I would guess his runway is shorter for the simple fact that he's a natural RW, and we are short on those in the organization right now. Maybe we convert a center to wing instead if it comes to that, but I do think there's a preference - when possible - of playing people in their natural position.

Yeah could be the runway is shorter for RW in the org. I’d say Erne plays both sides. Stephens plays all three forward positions. And Joseph is a natural RW better suited for bottom 6 role and Raddysh comes in next year better suited for a top 6 RW job. Kid is gonna have to carve out a space for himself. Get better at playing 200 foot game, better consistency shift to shift and game to game. As an example, I’d call up Cirelli to play RW for a short injury call up than Volkov as it stands right now.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
"Знакомимся ближе" с Александром Волковым | Национальная хоккейная лига
I have started translating all interviews in the series Знакомимся ближе", from the NHL in Russian site.
Here is the recent interview with Alexander Volkov #79 from yesterday.

Александром Волковым.jpg

BORN: August 2, 1997
BIRTHPLACE: Moscow, Russia
NATIONALITY: Russia
HEIGHT: 6' 1 (185 cm)
WEIGHT: 191 lbs (87 kg)
SHOOTS: Left
ELC SIGNING AGE: 20
WAIVERS SIGNING AGE: 20
DRAFT YEAR: 2017
DRAFTED OVERALL: 48
DRAFT ROUND: 2
DRAFTED BY: TBL

The main points from the interview:
  • Unfortunately he has been sent down to the AHL, but everyone is very happy and thrilled that he played on the Stamkos line against Buffalo in Sweden.
  • The name Alexander Volkov seems to go hand in hand with sports success in Russia. There is a MMA fighter, tennis player, basketball player, volleyball player, floor hockey player and three soccer players all named Alexander Volkov. The same was also true during the Soviet Union.
  • He comes from the SKA St. Petersburg youth academy, before being drafted #48 by the Bolts.
  • He was born in Moscow and started his hockey training at a young age in the "Penguin" Academy. New York Rangers goalie Alexander Georgiev also trained there.
  • Edmonton allegedly offered Jesse Puljujarvi to Tampa for Alexander Volkov, but the Bolts declined. (according to Elliotte Friedman).
  • During his first four NHL games he played around 11 minutes, but got no points and had a -5 rating, unfortunately.
  • His surname (Volkov) in Russian comes from the Russian word for wolf (volk = волк). So his name is quite fierce. (I wouldn't go as far as to call him Wolfman, but if he was German, that would be his family name). The author uses the friendly "Волчи", as a nickname translating to Volchy in the same line as many hockey nicknames.
  • He was very thrilled with his games in Sweden. The second game vs Buffalo was harder than the first. The event was good both for the hockey players and the fans, since the fans got to see NHL games and the players managed to see Stockholm.
  • What happened to his beard? He shaved it off before the second game in Sweden. He decided that it will bring him good luck to change his apperance and also says that he is tired from it, since he had worn it for a whole year. He says that he will grow it again when the time comes (Playoffs! :))
  • He was very awe struck during his first NHL game, but he says that he has already spent three years in North America and has excellent relations with all other players.
  • How does he view playing with Stamkos? He says that he and Palat have a more supporting role, including going strong in the corners and doing everything to provide Stamkos with the most shot opportunities. You must also play with heart and give your maximum if you don't nothing good is going to come.
  • What are his favorite books? He says that he recently read "Russian Five" (I guess it was included in the interview with promotion purposes). He also says that he likes to read books about life and motivation, which help you stay on the right path.
  • Who were his favorite players growing up? His favorite player was Sergei Fedorov.
  • Everyone is hoping for a "Russian Six" to emerge in Tampa if all players pan out.
That's it guys. When a Russian speaks to Russian media - there are more open answers.
I hope you enyoy! Keep in mind that I am not a professional translator and actually neither English or Russian are my first language.
Good luck and all the best to all of you!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->