NHL 2017-2018 Standings Watch

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Understanding anything can happen in hockey playoffs If I was was able to pick only 4 teams to win the Stanley Cup in a Vegas bet it would be
Boston
Nashville
Tampa
Toronto

To play the Leafs in the first round is not in theory what you want

Boston could do it but that would be 2 sports series wars and I'd rather do one

Tampa vs Toronto would take a physical and mental toll

Bruins better win these games and grab that first seed
Need to add Winnipeg forgot them but they are very good albeit dirty

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
We've clinched home ice for two rounds...just not the two rounds you're probably hoping for (yet).

We've locked Toronto out of second place, so we get the home ice the first round. (They've also locked Florida out of third, so they literally have nothing to play for tonight.) With Washington having the most potential points in the Metro bracket, but still coming in at only 107, we also have home ice for the ECF, should we make it.

Actually, we should probably be rooting for Toronto to win against Winnipeg, since WPG is one of the few teams that could take home ice from us in the last round....but it just feels wrong.

Correct me if I'm wrong here.

I don't think the Bruins have clinched home ice for 2 rounds. If they finish in first they would get home ice in the east but if they fall back to second then they only get home ice for one round, even if they cross over, the Met Division winner would get home ice if the face the 2nd place team in bruins division. Do I have that right?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Man, could you imagine if they end up playing the Pens 1st round? Very unlikely, but technically possible.
Bruins vs NJ
Bruins vs Leafs
Bruins vs Columbus
Bruins vs Nashville

It's going to be emotional to see Carlo come out and raise the Cup

May 9, 2010
Weymouth
My apologies if this has been mentioned already, but does anyone know what the playoff schedule is going to look like? I think the 12th is a lock for Game 1. After that, what should we expect? Will we play on the 14th or will that go to the Celtics?

Reactions: nfld77

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
QFT. Like you said there are no easy opponents . Finishing 1st guarantees you nothing just as being a wild card team doesn't mean you got no chance. I just like this team a lot. I think it's a better team than the one that won it all in 2011 though....

Sadly, I fear Carlo's injury is going to be significant and in turn is significantly going to hurt the Bruins chances.

I'm hoping we can face one of those teams in the 1st round (preferably NJ OR Flyers) and hope it's enough time to get Carlo back up to speed. I'm not sure we can do this without Carlo. We can probably get out of the East without him but I don't think we can win it all without him . Nobody on this team closes the gaps against speedier players the way Carlo does.

Carlo was terrific the past while when we were really hurting with so many injuries. BUT Carlo wasn't great all season, in fact, some would say he wasn't even good. But the team still played lights out with him in the line up. Plus it wasnt long ago there was talk he may not play in the post season because of the depth we had on the D.

I love the way Carlo played the past while. He really stepped up his game when we needed him. But take him out and replace him with Chara and McAvoy, I really think we'll be fine. I love the kid's play, please dont take this as a downer against Carlo cause is certainly isnt.

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
My apologies if this has been mentioned already, but does anyone know what the playoff schedule is going to look like? I think the 12th is a lock for Game 1. After that, what should we expect? Will we play on the 14th or will that go to the Celtics?

Good day 304 and belated Happy Easter. All I want considering Bruins are the only playoff team playing Sunday, is They DO NOT play on the 1st day of postseason. If playoffs begin the following Wed and Thur, Bruins damn well better be playing Thursday!! I cant believe the make up game vs Florida couldn't have been made up before this..To have to play a make up game when the regular season is over for everyone else just dont seem right to me.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008

4/12 should be Game 1. Garden is tied up Mon-Wed with 2 Pink concerts and the Celtics.

4/14 should be Game 2 if Toronto is the opponent because Hockey Night In Canada would want that game to be on Saturday. But if there is another opponent then game could be either Saturday or Sunday as there will probably be an NBC game on Sunday. If Philadelphia and Pittsburgh end up being a Round 1 match up then NBC would probably grab that one over what may be a Bruins/Devils Round 1.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Carlo was terrific the past while when we were really hurting with so many injuries. BUT Carlo wasn't great all season, in fact, some would say he wasn't even good. But the team still played lights out with him in the line up. Plus it wasnt long ago there was talk he may not play in the post season because of the depth we had on the D.

I love the way Carlo played the past while. He really stepped up his game when we needed him. But take him out and replace him with Chara and McAvoy, I really think we'll be fine. I love the kid's play, please dont take this as a downer against Carlo cause is certainly isnt.

I'll agree he wasn't great all year long but to suggest he would be odd man out is hyperbole.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Correct me if I'm wrong here.

I don't think the Bruins have clinched home ice for 2 rounds. If they finish in first they would get home ice in the east but if they fall back to second then they only get home ice for one round, even if they cross over, the Met Division winner would get home ice if the face the 2nd place team in bruins division. Do I have that right?

Nope. In the ECF/WCF and SCF, home ice isn't determined by seeding; it's determined by regular season standings all over again. Points, ROW, and season series (minus the extra home game, if applicable), and then goal differential for the whole season. Since the Bruins have more points than any Metro team can possibly get, they have home ice for the ECF should they make it that far.

So if the WC in the Metro bracket had more points than the second-place team in the Atlantic bracket, and both teams win the first two rounds, the Metro team gets home ice, even though it's a 4th seed versus a 2nd seed. Same for the SCF - it's not seeding that determines home ice; it's your points in the regular season.

nfld77

Aug 13, 2007
Newfoundland
I'll agree he wasn't great all year long but to suggest he would be odd man out is hyperbole.

I certainly agree with you. I'm only passing on what I read. BUT rumours are just that, rumours. I just hope the kid makes it back for some playoff time. Gotta feel for him, same thing happened last season.. He's a major big part of Bruins future.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Is there any chance the game against Florida on Sunday doesn't get played? It's entirely possible that it's a meaningless game for everyone involved

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
It happens in baseball on occasion. That's why I'm asking. I wasn't sure if it's ever happened in the NHL or if it could happen

You're right - a year or two ago, the Indians played a 161 game season instead of 162 games. I forget the other team, but it was a game that wouldn't change seeding or entry into the post season.

If there were a disaster that struck really, really close to the end of the season, and a team involved played on the final Friday AND the final Saturday, then yeah, they might schedule a conditional game on Monday, because that's cutting into the post-season, and doesn't give ticket holders a good chance to either rearrange their lives or sell their tickets.

In this case, AFAIK, the Bruins didn't offer refunds, although they'd probably gladly have taken the tickets off anyone's hands. The weekday January game was going as low as $50 or $60 IIRC. The Sunday regular season ending game is now going for about $140 on the official exchange. There's 2-3 months to figure out what to do with the tickets, and selling them at a profit would be easy for most people to do if they couldn't go...or they could go to a game that's "better" - end of the season, and now on a weekend.

In short, JJ wants his beer money, and rescheduling the game gets him that. It doesn't put too much stress on the teams, as the NHL has a moderately lengthy break compared to the MLB, resting for three days. I think baseball almost immediately goes into any tie breaker games on the Monday after the regular season , followed by wild cards on Tuesday and Wednesday, with 2 of the ALDS and/or NLDS series starting Thursday.

Plus, the Bruins are likely to get an extra day of rest, since the Celtics play at home on Wednesday.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Going to end up with 2 teams facing each other with over 100 points and one gone while two inferior teams face each other and one advances.. WORST PLAYOFF SETUP EVER

Reactions: Marcobruin

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Update through 4/3:

Maximum potential pointsCurrent ROWTotal remaining gamesHome gamesAway gamesSets of back-to-backsRemaining opponents' combined goal differential per game
Bruins116463211-0.29
Lightning114472111-0.65
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
Less than a week left and there are still 6 teams that we might wind up playing in the 1st round!:eek:
Toronto, Pittsburgh, Columbus, New Jersey, Philadelphia, or Florida are all possibilities. Any preference? Florida is pretty doubtful but after that No easy outs. Having said that, if we are healthy, I like our chances against anyone. Pretty sure all of these teams are hoping to avoid us in the 1st round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad