NHL 2017-2018 Standings Watch

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I don’t think refs get together and conspire.

I do think refs are incompetent in general (Lee) and many of them individually allow their bias to show (Jackson and Rooney).
The bias in the Super Bowl is all you need to know about referees

Two catches in the regular season called incomplete were called touchdowns

Personally I don't agree with the NFL and thought one should have been a TD but considering the Steelers got hosed on the same call the first Eagles TD should have been ruled incomplete

The second touchdown was a joke and cost the Patriots minimum 4 points and momentum

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
We've clinched home ice for two rounds...just not the two rounds you're probably hoping for (yet).

We've locked Toronto out of second place, so we get the home ice the first round. (They've also locked Florida out of third, so they literally have nothing to play for tonight.) With Washington having the most potential points in the Metro bracket, but still coming in at only 107, we also have home ice for the ECF, should we make it.

Actually, we should probably be rooting for Toronto to win against Winnipeg, since WPG is one of the few teams that could take home ice from us in the last round....but it just feels wrong.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Update through 3/31:

Maximum potential pointsCurrent ROWTotal remaining gamesHome gamesAway gamesSets of back-to-backsRemaining opponents' combined goal differential per game
Bruins119465232-0.04
Lightning116464311+0.04
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Unbelievable that this team is an actual contender to not only win the East, but is a legit threat for the President's trophy. It's also unreal that they lead the league in diff at +61. The two best teams in diff in the Metro are Pitt at +19 and the Caps at +15. Let that disparity sink in for a moment. The best in the entire West is Winnipeg at +53. And this is with an absurd number of key injuries down the stretch for the Bs. It really sucks that Cassidy won't win coach of the year, because this is one of the best coaching jobs in a regular season I have ever seen. Nobody, and I mean nobody, saw this coming before the season started.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I recall a thread recently quoting an article stating the Bruins shouldn't be chasing the President's Trophy. Sure, there is not a strong history of that being too meaningful, including their own collapse in 2014.

And while I do agree I'd rather they be healthy (almost a pipe dream) than have home ice throughout, one of the biggest factors in the Pens defeating the Preds in the Final last year was Pittsburgh's ability to exploit Nashville's bottom pairing D the three games in Pittsburgh.

Obviously that's looking way ahead, but the President's Trophy is within their grasp; and home ice the entire playoffs would be an advantage.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I recall a thread recently quoting an article stating the Bruins shouldn't be chasing the President's Trophy. Sure, there is not a strong history of that being too meaningful, including their own collapse in 2014.

And while I do agree I'd rather they be healthy (almost a pipe dream) than have home ice throughout, one of the biggest factors in the Pens defeating the Preds in the Final last year was Pittsburgh's ability to exploit Nashville's bottom pairing D the three games in Pittsburgh.

Obviously that's looking way ahead, but the President's Trophy is within their grasp; and home ice the entire playoffs would be an advantage.

The President's Trophy worked well for Vancouver in 2011 until

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
The President's Trophy worked well for Vancouver in 2011 until

So in other words, it didn't work too well for them! ;)

Like 2009, home ice was a factor, until Game 7, when anything goes. Heck, even my Astros won their only World Series on the road in Game 7.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Update through 4/1:

Maximum potential pointsCurrent ROWTotal remaining gamesHome gamesAway gamesSets of back-to-backsRemaining opponents' combined goal differential per game
Bruins118464221-0.05
Lightning114463211-0.17
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Unbelievable that this team is an actual contender to not only win the East, but is a legit threat for the President's trophy. It's also unreal that they lead the league in diff at +61. The two best teams in diff in the Metro are Pitt at +19 and the Caps at +15. Let that disparity sink in for a moment. The best in the entire West is Winnipeg at +53. And this is with an absurd number of key injuries down the stretch for the Bs. It really sucks that Cassidy won't win coach of the year, because this is one of the best coaching jobs in a regular season I have ever seen. Nobody, and I mean nobody, saw this coming before the season started.
I like this

Had Bruins 3rd 100+ points but didn't see this

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Huge day and nice help tonight . We are now still in the driver's seat I'd we lose in regulation Tuesday and any point or two we get in game would be huge . Florida falling further out sure doesn't hurt either .

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Presidents trophy would be nice, but I must admit, if we clinch the division, and thus home ice in the Eastern playoffs before the season ends, I would be resting as many key players as I possibly could after that

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Presidents trophy would be nice, but I must admit, if we clinch the division, and thus home ice in the Eastern playoffs before the season ends, I would be resting as many key players as I possibly could after that

I'm 100% with you on this. If we win Tuesday, Tampa needs five games to go perfectly - 2 ROWs for them, and 3 losses in regulation for us. Tampa getting into a shootout just once, or the Bruins making it past regulation just once, will spoil Tampa's chacnes. That's a tall order...but not impossible, I suppose. Frankly, if we do win Tuesday, I'd half-ass it and play Khudobin on Thursday, and rest anyone and everyone who needs to be rested. If we clinch by virtue of either of the two Thursday games, done. If not, THEN I'd kick it into gear, playing Rask on Saturday, and heck, even Sunday if necessary. All that said, I think any NHLer finds it difficult to hold back, so these are minor tweaks.

As far as SCF home ice...meh. I don't care about catching one team. For it to be a factor, we'd have to make the SCF first...and so would the Preds! That small probability isn't worth a little extra rest for players.

Reactions: JOKER 192

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
With the Panthers just about done, time to keep an eye on the standings in the Metro division. Still lots of room for movement to see who gets the Wild Card 2 spot:

Pittsburgh - 96 pts. - 2 games remaining
Columbus - 94 pts. - 3 games remaining
Philadelphia - 94 pts. - 3 games remaining
New Jersey - 93 pts. - 3 games remaining

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
With the Panthers just about done, time to keep an eye on the standings in the Metro division. Still lots of room for movement to see who gets the Wild Card 2 spot:

Pittsburgh - 96 pts. - 2 games remaining
Columbus - 94 pts. - 3 games remaining
Philadelphia - 94 pts. - 3 games remaining
New Jersey - 93 pts. - 3 games remaining

Honestly not afraid of any of those teams. And it would be a special pleasure to be the team that eliminated the SCC of 2017.

Let's make sure we beat Tampa on Tuesday , we can coast the rest of the way after that. Rest who ever needs it. Play who ever needs to shake the rust off or keep it off.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Honestly not afraid of any of those teams. And it would be a special pleasure to be the team that eliminated the SCC of 2017.

Let's make sure we beat Tampa on Tuesday , we can coast the rest of the way after that. Rest who ever needs it. Play who ever needs to shake the rust off or keep it off.

I'm not afraid of any of them either, that being said, there are no easy opponents regardless of how it plays out.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I'm not afraid of any of them either, that being said, there are no easy opponents regardless of how it plays out.

QFT. Like you said there are no easy opponents . Finishing 1st guarantees you nothing just as being a wild card team doesn't mean you got no chance. I just like this team a lot. I think it's a better team than the one that won it all in 2011 though....

Sadly, I fear Carlo's injury is going to be significant and in turn is significantly going to hurt the Bruins chances.

I'm hoping we can face one of those teams in the 1st round (preferably NJ OR Flyers) and hope it's enough time to get Carlo back up to speed. I'm not sure we can do this without Carlo. We can probably get out of the East without him but I don't think we can win it all without him . Nobody on this team closes the gaps against speedier players the way Carlo does.

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
QFT. Like you said there are no easy opponents . Finishing 1st guarantees you nothing just as being a wild card team doesn't mean you got no chance. I just like this team a lot. I think it's a better team than the one that won it all in 2011 though....

Sadly, I fear Carlo's injury is going to be significant and in turn is significantly going to hurt the Bruins chances.

I'm hoping we can face one of those teams in the 1st round (preferably NJ OR Flyers) and hope it's enough time to get Carlo back up to speed. I'm not sure we can do this without Carlo. We can probably get out of the East without him but I don't think we can win it all without him . Nobody on this team closes the gaps against speedier players the way Carlo does.

Carlo is a significant loss absolutely for the reasons you mentioned. I think they can still win without him, only because their D without him is still awfully good, Bruins might be the leagues deepest team on the right side after Winnipeg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad