25. DET - 49 - 48 (16)
26. EDM - 50 - 48 (20)
27. VAN - 51 - 48 (21)
28. MTL - 51 - 46 (18)

Just Detroit playing tonight.

Reactions: turkleton85

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
of course, winning the game against san jose wasn't "ideal" (although i always enjoy the team winning). Nice to see mrazek play well again, i'm anxious to see how he plays the rest of the season. I think for a goalie he is still pretty young, and consistency in confidence might still improve.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
of course, winning the game against san jose wasn't "ideal" (although i always enjoy the team winning). Nice to see mrazek play well again, i'm anxious to see how he plays the rest of the season. I think for a goalie he is still pretty young, and consistency in confidence might still improve.
Pressure is off now that the team is out of the playoff picture. He needed to play like this in October and November.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Pressure is off now that the team is out of the playoff picture. He needed to play like this in October and November.
You could say the same about most of the roster. Hopefully he and Howard both play well enough this month that one or both get traded.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

Blashill should have went to Mrazek during Howard's prolonged slump.
It'll be funny if the Red Wings miss by a few points and the reason for it is that massive slump when Blash rode AA on Line 4 and Mrazek on the bench while Howard rocked an .880 sv percentage and couldn't get a win.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
You could say the same about most of the roster. Hopefully he and Howard both play well enough this month that one or both get traded.
No doubt, I'm sure Tatar will pot 15 goalies in the final 30 games and everyone will talk about what a great winger he is.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
No doubt, I'm sure Tatar will pot 15 goalies in the final 30 games and everyone will talk about what a great winger he is.

I'm quite sure he won't score even near of the 25-goal rate until his last contract year.

No incentive. Take the millions and be lazy.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm quite sure he won't score even near of the 25-goal rate until his last contract year.

No incentive. Take the millions and be lazy.

I have never been the biggest Tatar guy but I find this a little unfair.

He has been pretty consistent in terms of his effort for most of his career. He just simply isn't quite as good as we hoped he would be. Nyquist is the same way just he is a little more talented so he is just a little better when looking at it. They are talented guys and can drive play, they just cannot do it consistently and that is why they aren't star players. It is the consistent danger that elevates guys there. Not hot 10 game stretches and big moments of disappearance. Our young guys need to work this out as well or they have a similar fate in front of them. They have more time before passing that judgement.

They are good secondary players, the kind of players contenders should actually value in my opinion. Which should be interesting when we look to move Nyquist and Tatar. They are Brad Stuart albeit at forward kind of adds for somebody in my opinion.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Blashill should have went to Mrazek during Howard's prolonged slump.
It'll be funny if the Red Wings miss by a few points and the reason for it is that massive slump when Blash rode AA on Line 4 and Mrazek on the bench while Howard rocked an .880 sv percentage and couldn't get a win.
That's revisionist history based solely on Howard's save %. And I say that as someone who was advocating starting Mrazek more.

Not that Howard was playing stellar but he didn't go in some massive slump that was costing the team wins. The entire team wasn't very good. Granted keeping AA on the 4th line wasn't helping.

Reactions: Red Stanley

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
Alright, if you don't want to make the playoffs, that is fine, though I continue to believe that this strategy, by itself, will get us absolutely nowhere. But to say that we are "out of the picture", with 32 games left, 6 points out, and with a game in hand over the second wild card, is just puzzling.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
That's revisionist history based solely on Howard's save %. And I say that as someone who was advocating starting Mrazek more.

Not that Howard was playing stellar but he didn't go in some massive slump that was costing the team wins. The entire team wasn't very good. Granted keeping AA on the 4th line wasn't helping.

It's not revisionist.
We had people here in this forum saying it was time to sit Jimmy.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It's not revisionist.
We had people here in this forum saying it was time to sit Jimmy.
I was one of those people. That's not the same thing.

You're painting the picture that the Wings were losing games because Howard was playing awful. That wasn't the case.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I was one of those people. That's not the same thing.

You're painting the picture that the Wings were losing games because Howard was playing awful. That wasn't the case.

Yes it was the case.

If you're going to credit Howard for the good stretches he's had this year - and he has - then you have to credit him for his awful stretches.

He's had those, too.

He's been hot and cold all year.

Starts out 3-0 with a 955 sv percentage.
Over the next 5 games he goes 0-4 with an 898 sv percentage.
Then he goes 5-1-1 with a 940 sv pecentage.
Then he went 2-7-5 with an .880 sv percentage. (this was the stretch when Blashill stubbornly stuck with Howard as the Wings fell out of the playoff picture).
Then he goes 4-0 with a .960 sv percentage.
Now he's gone 0-4 with an 860 sv percentage.'

He had 3 good stretches and three bad stretches... with one bad stretch being prolonged.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Yes it was the case.

If you're going to credit Howard for the good stretches he's had this year - and he has - then you have to credit him for his awful stretches.

He's had those, too.

He's been hot and cold all year.

Starts out 3-0 with a 955 sv percentage.
Over the next 5 games he goes 0-4 with an 898 sv percentage.
Then he goes 5-1-1 with a 940 sv pecentage.
Then he went 2-7-5 with an .880 sv percentage. (this was the stretch when Blashill stubbornly stuck with Howard as the Wings fell out of the playoff picture).
Then he goes 4-0 with a .960 sv percentage.
Now he's gone 0-4 with an 860 sv percentage.'

He had 3 good stretches and three bad stretches... with one bad stretch being prolonged.

No, it isn't. Stop trying to make it into a Howard vs Mrazek issue with cherry picked stats. It's doing nothing but injecting more toxicity into threads when we should instead be happy that our younger goalie is finally finding his game again.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
No, it isn't. Stop trying to make it into a Howard vs Mrazek issue with cherry picked stats. It's doing nothing but injecting more toxicity into threads when we should instead be happy that our younger goalie is finally finding his game again.

Comments about Mrazek when people were suggestion he should playmore while Howard couldn't stop a beach ball

"Playing Petr Mrazek or not is a completely worthless and irrelevant complaint. "

"There's nothing to address. Blashill wants to win, thus he plays Howard. You may have an argument if Mrazek was playing better than Howard, or maybe if they were playing about equal. "

"Trading Howard instead of Mrazek? That's hilarious. Mrazek is shaky and has an attitude problem. Good riddance, Raz."

"Mrazek... a much better goalie? Ah the Jimmy Howard naysayers are hilarious. 2 time all star and is nowhere near streaky, unstable or a locker room cancer like Raz"

". Mrazek is not a good goaltender. He’s a fantastic athlete but he clearly is ****ing terrible at positioning and is super aggressive to the point of detriment."

Yet, I'm injecting toxicity into the debate for saying that Blashill made a mistake sticking with a goalie who had 2-3 wins in 17 outings.

Leadzedder

Jan 2, 2005
Is this a goalie thread?

Team - Games - Points (Row)

21. CHI - 52 - 56 (24)
22. CAR - 52 - 56 (21)
23. NYR - 52 - 55 (22)
24. FLA - 50 - 50 (20)
25. DET - 51 - 50 (17)
26. EDM - 50 - 48 (20)
27. VAN - 52 - 48 (21)
28. MTL - 52 - 48 (19)

2 games matter tonight. The Montreal game is vs Ottawa so hoping for a 3 pointer.

But as PZ29 mentioned earlier we are not that far out of a playoff spot. 7 points as of now. We are as close to the playoffs as we are to third overall (position). We'll see how it goes.

Last edited:

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
Last night went quite well! Florida beats us and have a game in hand. Habs and Sens both win.

Sabres, Yotes and Canucks though ughhhh

I ran tankathon twice and we got Dahlin both times wooooohooooooo

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Is this a goalie thread?

Team - Games - Points (Row)

21. CHI - 52 - 56 (24)
22. CAR - 52 - 56 (21)
23. NYR - 52 - 55 (22)
24. FLA - 50 - 50 (20)
25. DET - 51 - 50 (17)
26. EDM - 50 - 48 (20)
27. VAN - 52 - 48 (21)
28. MTL - 52 - 48 (19)

2 games matter tonight. The Montreal game is vs Ottawa so hoping for a 3 pointer.

But as PZ29 mentioned earlier we are not that far out of a playoff spot. 7 points as of now. We are as close to the playoffs as we are to third overall (position). We'll see how it goes.

All we need is a nice 5-6 games losing streak now, which is very possible with the upcoming schedule.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad