Line Combos: 2017-2018 Sens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Unfortunately I expect us to miss the playoffs next year unless the youth movement steps up big time.

I can't see Tampa missing the playoffs again and they missed because of mass injury, I think they're contenders.

I think Carolina is due to make the playoffs and their amazing young Defencive core can only get better, I think they finally have their goaltending fixed with Darling, and Teravainen and a few others are due for a breakout season as well.

I also see Buffalo making a rise in the standings if Eichel plays a full year, he was one of the best players in the NHL once he came back and could carry Buffalo to the playoffs himself the same way McDavid and Matthews did for their respected teams this past season. I also still think Lehner can be a top 10 goalie in the NHL and this season is a make or break for him.

With the youth movement in Philly, I can't see them missing they playoffs. Giroux can't be as bad as he was last year and I think Elliott will thrive in Philly. They have a few young stud dmen coming up to shore up their defence (Sanheim, Myers etc.) I can't see them missing they playoffs next year either.

My point here is with all these teams improving, I don't see how Ottawa can make the playoffs when in all honestly we regressed. But if our younger players (Chabot, Harpur, White, Paul) can take on larger roles, and play amazingly, it might be different.

But there is the fact that aside from Karlsson, like basically every single player on the team had a very down year offensively....

Imagine this team if Ryan, Brassard, Mac, Pageau, Dzingel, Stone, Smith, Turris and Hoffman were ALL going at the same time.

We haven't seen anything close to that yet, and I still believe that it's capable of doing enough collective damage when we factor EK into the equation..

Even if 6 of the 9 of them are going strong that will be enough to win on most nights.

This team still has more to show, even with the loss of Method. Chabot, Claesson and Harpur all have their own legit chance to make an impact next year with this opportunity.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Having Andy all season would help both be better. If we can play Condon 30-35 games, and Andy 47-52, I think both will put up great stats.

As long as Andy stays healthy and has no other commitment elsewhere, even at 36 he can easily start 60 games. I'm just hoping Condon's solid play from last season carries through this season and pushes Anderson for play time. That said, I agree with your numbers.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Unfortunately I expect us to miss the playoffs next year unless the youth movement steps up big time.

I can't see Tampa missing the playoffs again and they missed because of mass injury, I think they're contenders.

I think Carolina is due to make the playoffs and their amazing young Defencive core can only get better, I think they finally have their goaltending fixed with Darling, and Teravainen and a few others are due for a breakout season as well.

I also see Buffalo making a rise in the standings if Eichel plays a full year, he was one of the best players in the NHL once he came back and could carry Buffalo to the playoffs himself the same way McDavid and Matthews did for their respected teams this past season. I also still think Lehner can be a top 10 goalie in the NHL and this season is a make or break for him.

With the youth movement in Philly, I can't see them missing they playoffs. Giroux can't be as bad as he was last year and I think Elliott will thrive in Philly. They have a few young stud dmen coming up to shore up their defence (Sanheim, Myers etc.) I can't see them missing they playoffs next year either.

My point here is with all these teams improving, I don't see how Ottawa can make the playoffs when in all honestly we regressed. But if our younger players (Chabot, Harpur, White, Paul) can take on larger roles, and play amazingly, it might be different.

This fear comes up every year. Some of the teams will live up to it and some wont, if we just take care of ourselves that is all that will matter and the chips will fall in place. Every team is optimostic before the season starts.

The only regression that can be argued is losing Methot. We've added a better 4th line center, hopefully we'll have Mac & Andy all year, and Brassard & Ryan couldnt possibly have worse years than last year.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I just hope no long injuries happen to anyone in the top four

Don't want Boro playing 20+ a night

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
I think that the projected lineup is worse than last year. Unless a bunch of guys have career years, the playoffs may be out of reach.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think that the projected lineup is worse than last year. Unless a bunch of guys have career years, the playoffs may be out of reach.

The only thing that makes it worse is not having Methot...
I think he will be missed other than that we are in better shape up front than what we had to ice most of last year. At this point we have to hope that Claesson, Harpur and/or Chabot can help fill the void left by Methot.

emo

Aug 25, 2003
Cap City
Visit site
Burrows had 31 pts in 75 games, so I may be a little high, but 30 to 35 is my range I expect.

Brassard had a rough start but I think he's figured out the system; put up a 48 pts pace in the playoffs, and I expect Ryan to be less snake bitten which will help Brassard too.

I also think Chabot will help provide more offense from all the lines.

I think we'll be lucky to get 10g 12 a from Burrows. Brassard will likely miss the start of the season. How often have we seen players spend the summer not fully training due to injury/surgery then go on to have good seasons? Rarely. I hope you're right though.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Sign Jagr to a 1 year deal.

Hoffman-Turris-Stone
Macarthur-Brassard-Ryan
Dzingel-Pageau-Jagr
Burrows-Thompson-Pyatt

Phaneuf-Karlsson
Chabot-Ceci
Claesson-Harpur/Wideman

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I think we'll be lucky to get 10g 12 a from Burrows. Brassard will likely miss the start of the season. How often have we seen players spend the summer not fully training due to injury/surgery then go on to have good seasons? Rarely. I hope you're right though.

Yeah no offense to Micklebot, but he's terrible at projecting points. I still remember the argument last summer where he tried to convince me that he Sens will score more points than Cameron's Sens.

I see the same thing for Brassard. 20 to 25. In general I think the Sens will score about the same as last year. Maybe slightly better if Boucher figures out the PP, but I'm not holding my breath.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yeah no offense to Micklebot, but he's terrible at projecting points. I still remember the argument last summer where he tried to convince me that he Sens will score more points than Cameron's Sens.

I see the same thing for Brassard. 20 to 25. In general I think the Sens will score about the same as last year. Maybe slightly better if Boucher figures out the PP, but I'm not holding my breath.

Do you mean goals or points?

If it's points then this seems way too extreme of a drop off, that would be like half of the worst season of his career.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Meh ,we are likely the deepest and best 4 line grinding team in the east .That is what we are :nod:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Do you mean goals or points?

If it's points then this seems way too extreme of a drop off, that would be like half of the worst season of his career.

Points.

Not really. He scored 22 pts two years ago in 79 games. Was on pace for 30 with VAN before the trade. Will be 37 years next year. Actually I'll revise my projection to be more specific. I think he'll score 27 pts., while being invisible for the most parts of the year.

Meh ,we are likely the deepest and best 4 line grinding team in the east .That is what we are :nod:

Well, we better be for the all the money on the 4th line.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Points.

Not really. He scored 22 pts two years ago in 79 games. Was on pace for 30 with VAN before the trade. Will be 37 years next year. Actually I'll revise my projection to be more specific. I think he'll score 27 pts., while being invisible for the most parts of the year.

Where else would you like us to spend it on ???We dont have unlimited cap space moving forward and have some pretty big pieces to resign .So unless there is some mystical elite level player out there we can obtain for peanuts ,and then pay him in the same currency.Both in dollars and term .Then this is the best route to go :nod:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
We'll be a bubble team.

Perfect place to be as long as we get into the playoffs hot.
Yep ,if we get in healthy we will be a very tough out for anyone .We wont put up gaudy numbers in the reg season,but in the grind fest which the playoffs are .We should be able to compete nicely :nod:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Admittedly, I expected the PP to improve (how could it not, I said to myself). I also didn't anticipate Ryan and Brassard to be snake bitten, or Boucher to go into a defensive shell every time he got a 1 goal lead midway through the 2nd.

There's a lot of guesswork when projecting results with a new coach and a new system. Not nearly as much when those variables are static.

Ryan seems to have figure out his role in the new system, and Brassard should benefit from that, but as you said he likely misses the start of the season. Since I said my projections were based on healthy seasons, that 50 pts for Brass is just that, an 82 game projection, if he misses the first 10, shave off about 5-6 pts. I hadn't taken into account the rust factor though, so that's a perfectly fair observation.

Wrt Burrows, imo he's gone to a much better situation than he had in Vancouver. Went from the 2nd lowest scoring team in the league to a team that scored 30 more goals, and that same team (Ottawa) went through an adjustment period for the first 25 or so games where they scored at a much lower clip. Not sure why people think he's going to produce less than his pace with Vancouver, I think 30 pts from him would be the conservative estimate.

Time will tell, but I also think with Chabot instead of Methot, we have a more offensive backend.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Points.

Oh you meant Burrows, in what I quoted from you it said Brassard then 20-25 so I thought thats who you were referring to. No way Brass is that low unless he misses a lot of games.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Opening night rosters....more wild predictions than what I'd personally hope for....

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Burrows-Pageau-Stone
Hoffman-Smith-Pyatt (lol sorry Hoffman)
McCormick-Thompson-Dzingel

Claesson-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Ceci
Chabot-Harpur

(Healthy Scratches: Chris Wideman/Mark Borowiecki/Andrew Hammond)

Colin White starts in the AHL because Guy Boucher hates players with any less than 12 years of NHL experience. Chabot is the exception. If a forward goes down, we'll just go with 7D and double shift until Brassard is back because we're gonna roll with a 22 man roster due to Andrew Hammond's contract being on the books.

Claesson paired next to Karlsson, but I'd expect a revolving door next to him out of Claesson, Harpur, and eventually Chabot if/when he earns Boucher's trust. One of them will stick eventually.

Smith back at C, but I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't last long and Thompson played 3rd line minutes to start the season until Brassard came back since they seem to like Smith better at LW. In which case, maybe we have to call up Max Reinhart or Colin White to be the 4C.

Hoffman would be more ideal next to Pageau and Stone, but Boucher has used him on the "shutdown" line for a big chunk of last season so maybe that sticks.

It's entirely possible that Chabot isn't in during the first game and Wideman or Boro are in that spot instead. I am more confident that Chabot will start in the NHL than I am that White will, even if it means Chabot starts as a scratch.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Opening night rosters....more wild predictions than what I'd personally hope for....

MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Burrows-Pageau-Stone
Hoffman-Smith-Pyatt (lol sorry Hoffman)
McCormick-Thompson-Dzingel

Claesson-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Ceci
Chabot-Harpur

I really hope not re your forwards... D looks ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad