Line Combos: 2017-2018 Sens

Discussion in 'Ottawa Senators' started by Day Man, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cosmix

Cosmix Registered User

So, the second line is the Achilles heal of this team, being outscroed 121 to 64. The top 6 talent requires isignificant mprovement

2. Boud

Boud Registered User

He played with Karlsson a bit last year so I wouldn't be surprised ifnit happened.

3. Cosmix

Cosmix Registered User

The only D man who might play a more regular role with Karlsson is probably Phaneuf, as the lack of skill, weaknesses and lack of experience of Borowiecki, Claesson and Chabot will be exposed, particularly in road games. The loss of Methot is going to hurt a lot during the first half if not longer of next season.

I suspect it will take a trade to fix it. Chabot is probably the only LD that has the potential to reach first pair D level and he needs time to learn how to play against pros.

The top 6 Fs have not improved at all. If MAC can get back to his first year form then the top 6 will improve but I doubt he will get there or last the season.

A trade for a true top 6 F is required to fix this F weakness. It will cost picks, prospects and mortgaging some of the future to improve today.

4. Real Smart Sens Fan

Real Smart Sens Fan Registered User

To be fair, those numbers are low because Mac played 4 regular season games (and Brassard + Ryan had brutal years offensively).

5. Micklebot

Micklebot Moderator

Won't likely happen this year, but I really like the idea of a Harpur Jaros third pair if both develop as hoped.

Big and mobile guys with enough puck skills the contribute offensively from time to time.

6. aragorn

aragorn #Boucherout

Agreed but I think people are selling Englund a little short, he is going to be pretty good too. Maybe not offensively but very good defensively & hopefully as good as Methot was with Karlsson someday. I really think Ottawa will have a very dynamic defence at some future date, they have a few very good defencemen coming.

Englund - Karlsson
    Chabot - Ceci
    Harpur - Jaros

Claesson - Wideman
    Wollanin - Boroweicki
    Lajoie - Gendron

7. source

source Registered User

The emergence of Claesson and Harpur make me more confident about our depth.

But this does not compensate sufficiently for the loss of Methot. If Cleasson plays 20+ mins per night I am concerned about our playoff chances.

8. Sensinitis

Sensinitis Registered User

Chabot Chabot Chabot

9. Boud

Boud Registered User

I'm sure Boucher will adjust accordingly. If Claesson isn't able to fill that role, Phaneuf is always there and I'm sure Harpur will be given a chance and maybe even Chabot.

Of course, by saying that I also don't think anybody is expecting a flawless transition without Methot. There will be less consistency on the back end and Karlsson might have to be a little more conservative at times. My opinion is that we'll be just fine though. I think the role that Methot played with Karlsson can be filled internally and I think that Claesson has some tools that could benefit the team. For example, he is a better puck handler than Methot, he can rush the puck if needed which would take pressure off Karlsson. Most importantly, he has a BOMB of a shot, arguably as good as Karlsson's. When you have two guys that can shoot the puck like that on the same pair, it gives you a lot of options. Methot had a terrible shot and never used it. Imagine how hard it'd be to defend Claesson (105MPH shot), Karlsson and Hoffman rotating the point.

I think having Claesson back there with Karlsson we'll be sacrificing a little bit of consistency and toughness but we'll have some gains in possesion and offense. There will always be guys looking at EK, which also might leave Claesson with open lanes to shoot the puck. I think Claesson will have a solid year offensively and wouldn't be surprised to see him get more points than our other Dmen other than Karlsson.

10. Micklebot

Micklebot Moderator

Claesson let it rip in the skills comp with a running start, but I don't recall him ever using a bomb from the point in game action. Seemed to more often just wrist it on net or snap shot it.

11. Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy Registered User

12. DanyHeatley

DanyHeatley Registered User

our PK without Methot and Stalberg is gonna eat dirt

13. HSF

HSF Registered User

Thompson is pretty much the stalberg replacement

14. IranCondraAffair

IranCondraAffair Registered User

Karlsson is taking a PK role and Claesson is a fine Methot replacement on the PK. Not an upgrade, but solid.

Thompson replaces Stalberg. Burrows for a full season should help too.

I see the PP as the biggest unresolved issue facing the Sens personally.

We've added no one that fixes out PP and it is, by fra, our biggest weakness.

15. trentmccleary

trentmccleary Registered User

Home Page:
    Maybe, but;
    Methot was 4th in PK time among full time d-men (2:04).
    Borowiecki had his PK time cut substantially from 2:22 to less than a minute, Claessen barely had any this year and Harpur hasn't played a full season. So there are options.

16. Micklebot

Micklebot Moderator

We have Pageau, Smith, Burrows, Pyatt, Turris, Stone and MacArthur who are all good to capable penalty killing forwards. Stalberg was a nice option, but hardly crucial to our success on the PK (he wasn't even with the team until the deadline...)

Methot was on the second unit, and has typically played that role with the org. I don't think he was all that crucial to our success, though he was certainly an asset.

17. DanyHeatley

DanyHeatley Registered User

regardless, with all of those players you listed, we still finished in the bottom third of the league for efficiency and now we lost two major pieces in the rotation. unless claesson proves he can kill penaties and assuming everyone else improves and gets better, this PK got significantly worse than what we had last season

18. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Meaningless leaning mess

We were already bottom third on PK - two years running in fact.

19. Micklebot

Micklebot Moderator

Ok, so Stalberg is a non-issue, because Thompson and Burrows are also good penalty killing forwards.

Methot certainly was useful, but we've run with Boro as a top 4 Penalty killing dman in the past (2015 for example) and our PK efficiency was no worse then (we were actually 11th best with a PK of Ceci, Gryba, Boro, Cowen, Condra, Legwand, Michalek Stone, and Pageau.

Methot isn't what makes or breaks a PK. We'll be fine.

20. emo

emo Registered User

Home Page:
    I think you are being far too optimistic for Brass and Burrows.

21. Micklebot

Micklebot Moderator

Burrows had 31 pts in 75 games, so I may be a little high, but 30 to 35 is my range I expect.

Brassard had a rough start but I think he's figured out the system; put up a 48 pts pace in the playoffs, and I expect Ryan to be less snake bitten which will help Brassard too.

I also think Chabot will help provide more offense from all the lines.

22. Kryptekah

Kryptekah Mark.Stone.

Unfortunately I expect us to miss the playoffs next year unless the youth movement steps up big time.

I can't see Tampa missing the playoffs again and they missed because of mass injury, I think they're contenders.

I think Carolina is due to make the playoffs and their amazing young Defencive core can only get better, I think they finally have their goaltending fixed with Darling, and Teravainen and a few others are due for a breakout season as well.

I also see Buffalo making a rise in the standings if Eichel plays a full year, he was one of the best players in the NHL once he came back and could carry Buffalo to the playoffs himself the same way McDavid and Matthews did for their respected teams this past season. I also still think Lehner can be a top 10 goalie in the NHL and this season is a make or break for him.

With the youth movement in Philly, I can't see them missing they playoffs. Giroux can't be as bad as he was last year and I think Elliott will thrive in Philly. They have a few young stud dmen coming up to shore up their defence (Sanheim, Myers etc.) I can't see them missing they playoffs next year either.

My point here is with all these teams improving, I don't see how Ottawa can make the playoffs when in all honestly we regressed. But if our younger players (Chabot, Harpur, White, Paul) can take on larger roles, and play amazingly, it might be different.

23. NyQuil

NyQuil F.Y.R.O.U.S.

We had some injury trouble and we have MacArthur for a full season - not to mention more familiarity with the system.

I think it balances out and we're a bubble team again.

24. Sensinitis

Sensinitis Registered User

Having Andy all season makes a difference as well.

25. NB613

NB613 Registered User

Mac - Turris - Stone
    Hoff - Brass - Ryan
    Smith - Pager - Dzingel
    Stalberg/Pyatt - Thompson - Burrows
    White

Phaneuf - Karlsson
    Claesson - Ceci
    Chabot - Wideman
    Boro

Anderson