Line Combos: 2017-2018 Sens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I think we will battle for a playoff spot, but I could see us missing. You have to think Tampa is going to be better than last year, Toronto should get better, Montreal is always in it. Not sure about Florida to be honest. Boston is kind of like us I guess. Is Buffalo finally going to move in the right direction? I don't see Detroit as being a very good team right now.

I say 3rd in the division is the best we do, but we could be anywhere from 3-6 in the division I think.

We're going to be soo much better than people think we're going to be. Year two of this system, a legit defensive core, center depth, White, Chabot, Paul, McCormick coming up. Very exciting.

Even if we make no improvements from here put we're a top six team in the east, and our roster is still young or just entering the prime performance years of their careers.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Look about right. Tough for Chabot, Harpur, Paul and White who probably have to start in Belleville now if Karlsson and Brassard are indeed back.

I can see a Wideman trade this year as Chabot develops. If Jaros is indeed another Boro (per Dorion), Boro could be another on a short leash by December.

Starting in Sweden does affect the schedule, so they will need bodies I'm sure. That could slow things a little.

TBH I expect to see a trade or two. Bobby Ryan to New Jersey? Maybe. I hope not.

I could actually see a package of both Boro and Wideman to Washington for a 2nd and a prospect or something.

Harpur looked very good. To have Englund and Jarros pushing fur the same spot - we should be prudent and move that asset while it still holds value (for the record, I like Mark, he's a fine #6 D)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Hoffman - Turris - Stone
MacArthur - Brass - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Pyatt
Dzingel - Thompson -Burrows

- White comes in while Brass is out

Claesson - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Chabot - Boro

Harpur - Wideman (I would trade Wideman for a the highest pick I could get by Sept 1)

Anderson
Condon

Are Harpur, Paul and Englund subject to waivers this year?

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Phaneuf - Karlsson
Claesson - Ceci
Chabot - Harpur
(Boro, Wideman)

Brings a good point here as we look at whether Chabot draws on the natural LD or the RD side. The system is set up for the movers to be RD and the thumpers to be LD. Chabot would then be slotted Rd would be not. His natural side is LD though as a Left handed shot.

Would Boucher alter the system so that he has a puck mover capability from either side and use Chabot on the LD side with a RD partner of Phaneuf (natural side), Harpur (off side), Ceci (different role), Jaros (eventually), or does he play the possibility of two puck movers (and no thumper) with a Karlsson as a partner? Or does he play Chabot on the RD side as the system demands his skillset be used.

Until Englund is established, Phaneuf and Borowiecki will have to establish the no-go zone on the LD side. I do not see Chabot as maximum useful in that role. I'd like to see him use his skills, rather than fit a system. I hope the system gets altered when he is on the ice to allow for this.

Gonna make everyone think a little more if it does, but better results I think as the opposition will have to adjust as well.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
We're going to be soo much better than people think we're going to be. Year two of this system, a legit defensive core, center depth, White, Chabot, Paul, McCormick coming up. Very exciting.

Even if we make no improvements from here put we're a top six team in the east, and our roster is still young or just entering the prime performance years of their careers.

Paul and McCormick will be in the AHL, but even if they were here they'll be on the 4th line. Not much to get to excited aboot. Looking forward to White and Chabot though.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Brings a good point here as we look at whether Chabot draws on the natural LD or the RD side. The system is set up for the movers to be RD and the thumpers to be LD. Chabot would then be slotted Rd would be not. His natural side is LD though as a Left handed shot.

Would Boucher alter the system so that he has a puck mover capability from either side and use Chabot on the LD side with a RD partner of Phaneuf (natural side), Harpur (off side), Ceci (different role), Jaros (eventually), or does he play the possibility of two puck movers (and no thumper) with a Karlsson as a partner? Or does he play Chabot on the RD side as the system demands his skillset be used.

Until Englund is established, Phaneuf and Borowiecki will have to establish the no-go zone on the LD side. I do not see Chabot as maximum useful in that role. I'd like to see him use his skills, rather than fit a system. I hope the system gets altered when he is on the ice to allow for this.

Gonna make everyone think a little more if it does, but better results I think as the opposition will have to adjust as well.
I think the main reason we play this left wing lock is precicely because we lack speed and skill on the LH side .I think boucher,s system will be greatly enhanced with another PMD element attacking from the opposite side .

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So, I had a nice little wall of text drafted until I hit the backspace button to correct a typo and lost everything as internet explorer navigated me to my previous page...

Oh well, he's the short version;

Two problems last year; puck movement from any D pairing without Karlsson, and our wretched 4th line getting caved in every time they stepped on the ice.

Prob 1; Either put Claesson with Karlsson on the top pair, and Chabot on the bottom pair, creating 2 pairs that can move the puck at will, or put Phaneuf with Karlsson (filling a Kuba like role) and Chabot can play with Ceci. Both options give us more puck movement, and I think our bottom pair can be less sheltered than last year if Harpur over Wideman.

Problem 2; This one seems like a slam dunk to improve over last year; with Pyatt getting pushed to the 4th line (replaying Neil), Thompson signed (replacing Kelly) and MacArthur's return pushing Dzingel or Smith onto the 4th line, our bottom line should be far better than the combination of Kelly with any two of Lazar, Neil, Varone, Blunden, Bailey, and Puempel. No more need to shelter the bottom line also means the top 9 gets more offensive opportunities.

I haven't even assumed White makes the team yet, which could improve the 4th even further.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
if we didn't lose Methot we could've had:

Methot-Karlsson
Claesson-Phaneuf
Chabot-Ceci
Boro-Wideman

:(:(

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Chabot is one of our top 6 D, easily. He'll be a top 4 guy by X-mas. Playing in the NHL will not harm him. The Sens wanted Chabot in the Boston/New York series, had he been available. Not as a black ace, as a contributor. I can't comment on the Pitts series as I have no idea if things changed.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
I think Chabot is ready for the NHL.

I would start with:

Hoffman - Turris - Stone
Macarthur - Pageau - Ryan
Smith - Paul - Dzingel
Burrows - Thompson - Pyatt

Claesson - Karlsson
Ceci - Phaneuf
Chabot - Harpur/Boro (would trade Wideman - his puck mover role is redundant now)

Yes i would start White down in the AHL even with Brass being out to start the year. I'd do that for at least a few games to see how he does down there. Given Nick Paul an honest shot in a decent role and see what happens.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

I would start with:

Hoffman - Turris - Stone
Smith - Paul - Dzingel

Claesson - Karlsson
Ceci - Phaneuf
Chabot - Harpur/Boro (would trade Wideman - his puck mover role is redundant now)

Yes i would start White down in the AHL even with Brass being out to start the year. I'd do that for at least a few games to see how he does down there. Given Nick Paul an honest shot in a decent role and see what happens.

Not bad. There's also the possibility Smith starts the year at centre. Burrows could move up to the third line, and Paul, White or McCormick could start on the 4th line.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I see alot of people suggesting bobby Ryan to New Jersey. Is this because he's from Cherry Hill? Correct me if im wrong but i thought he spent most of his youth in California and now lives in Ohio or Idaho. Can't remember which

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I would start with:

Hoffman - Turris - Stone
Smith - Paul - Dzingel

Claesson - Karlsson
Ceci - Phaneuf

Here is what Dorion reportedly said when acquiring a Burrows:

"I made a list of potential candidates that could come and take [MacArthur's] spot in the lineup and I feel Alex is going to do that with the intangibles, the character that he brings, the leadership that also Clarke had," Dorion said. "We hope [MacArthur] can be back at some point in time next year. Until then if we could add somebody like Alex ... we had to do something like this."

I think Burrows should be higher up in the lines than 4th line based on Dorion's comments when he traded for him. Perhaps RW on third line.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I see alot of people suggesting bobby Ryan to New Jersey. Is this because he's from Cherry Hill? Correct me if im wrong but i thought he spent most of his youth in California and now lives in Ohio or Idaho. Can't remember which

I believe it's Idaho. New Jersey does have a lot of cap space. I imagine they have some holes to fill, but not sure if they want Ryan's long term contract. The trade for Johansson was a great one for them though.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Here is what Dorion reportedly said when acquiring a Burrows:

"I made a list of potential candidates that could come and take [MacArthur's] spot in the lineup and I feel Alex is going to do that with the intangibles, the character that he brings, the leadership that also Clarke had," Dorion said. "We hope [MacArthur] can be back at some point in time next year. Until then if we could add somebody like Alex ... we had to do something like this."

I think Burrows should be higher up in the lines than 4th line based on Dorion's comments when he traded for him. Perhaps RW on third line.

Yeah that's a good point. In the lines I listed Burrows and Dzingel could be interchangeable.

Smith - Paul - Burrows makes sense. The reason I put Dzingel is because I felt that the line would lack speed and seemed like prime candidates to get pinned in their own zone.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I think the main reason we play this left wing lock is precicely because we lack speed and skill on the LH side .I think boucher,s system will be greatly enhanced with another PMD element attacking from the opposite side .
Not trying to be a dick - just a bit of info in case you are curious. What we did most of the time was not a left wing lock. It's more or less semantics but it wasn't always the LW that stayed back and because our LD pinched along the boards doesn't make it a LW lock.

Usually, we had our LD pinch down with forward support to the middle of the ice and that F could have been any of the 3. As a coach, I will occasionally run something very similar to the LW lock in the offensive zone because it's less demanding mentally on the F's than what Ottawa does (I coach AAA but at Atom age levels so has to be simple). As the kids get older I would implement something closer to GB with the offside W dropping back and rotating as needed as it makes the forecheck a bit more effective imo.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hoffman - Turris - Stone
Mac - JGP - Ryan
Smith - Pyatt - Iginla
Dzingle - White - Burrows

So we turn Brassard into an aging Iginla, and play Pyatt as a center instead of the center we just signed? I'm not sure I'm following what you're trying to do here...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Mac will get concussed, Ryan will break hands, Burrows will disappear.

Ok... you have all three in that lineup, you still don't have Brassard, you have an ancient Iginla for no particular reason playing with guys that frankly aren't suited to setting up Iginla to use his one quality asset (shot). You still have a starting lineup that doesn't include the center we just gave a 2 year 1.6 mil per deal to all the while playing Pyatt as a center when he's been exclusively a winger for us.

I'm sure we could give you some high fives and an A+ for effort if you like, but the end result is still a confusing lineup with no explanation as to why or how you came to it.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
While this would be my lineup with this roster I doubt GB goes with this.

Hoffman - Turris - Dzingel
MacArthur - Brassard - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Stone

Phaneuf - Karlsson
Claesson - Ceci
Boroweicki - Wideman

Anderson - Condon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events