Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
Interesting pairings Gesus. I'll share mine-

Without Karlsson, I want:

Chabot-Phaneuf
Claesson-Ceci
Oduya-Wideman
Boro

Boro is out, which is good. This speeds up the LD which has been horrible in the pre-season. There is an offensive and defensive minded guy on each pair. To hell with this whole ' the system needs a puck retrieval guy on the right side BS

Without Karlsson, I expect:

Phaneuf-Chabot
Oduya-Ceci
Boro-Wideman
Claesson

I hate that second pairing a lot, but I bet it's what we see for a long while. I don't like Chabot as much on his off side. It really limits his breakouts negatively. He's still good, but he's not as dynamic.

With Karlsson, I want:

Chabot-Karlsson
Claesson-Phaneuf
Oduya-Ceci
Boro-Wideman

I hate this idea that Chabot is this baby who needs to be coddled and protected. He's good. Let him play and let him play along side our best Dman on his natural side. It's top loaded, but that top pair will put up a lot of your minutes. Claesson works well with Phaneuf, I think. He is more reliable with the puck, and Phaneuf can sit back and allow Claesson to activate offensively. Ceci is best suited for a balanced role on the bottom pairing. I think he could really shine in that role. Oduya, I have hated his play so far, but I like him over Boro. Easy.

I expect:

Oduya-Karlsson
Phaneuf-Ceci
Boro-Chabot

For some reason the coaches like Oduya, So I be he plays up with Karlsson. I doubt Boucher can stay away from that 2nd pairing of Phaneuf and Ceci for long. It doesn't work, but he likes it. I think the Sens can survive with Boro on the bottom pair. It's silly but I think Boucher leaves Claesson in the press box with Wideman. I do think Chabot still gets to play on this bottom pair. I don't like that he'd be playing such a limited role, but I think that is how it'll be.

Reactions: Mika Hoffmanijad

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I know Boucher has his left D step up system but I'd really like to see Chabot play his natural side and see how his effectiveness changes. He's probably much more Co f identify on his natural side and we would probably see a more effective player both offensively and defensively

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Getting close to opening night, and Brassard looks like he might be ready on times. Here's my guess.

Dzingel-Turris-Stone
Hoffman-Brassard-Ryan
Smith-Pageau-Burrows
Forementon-Thompson-Pyatt
Extra: Brown

McCormick is sent down, and gets called up when one of Brown or Formenton gets sent back down to juniors after 9 games.

Phaneuf-Chabot
Oduya-Ceci
Claesson-Wideman
Extra: Boro

When Karlsson returns, Wideman goes down, Claesson or Oduya pairs with Karlsson the other with Ceci.

Of note, if Forementon makes the team, we probably have the fastest group of left wingers in the league.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
With Formenton and Brown as our 12/13, when Brassard and Karlsson return, anybody think Guy Boucher might roll with 11 forwards/7 defenders for a few games?

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
With Formenton and Brown as our 12/13, when Brassard and Karlsson return, anybody think Guy Boucher might roll with 11 forwards/7 defenders for a few games?

I would be very surprised if they sit both Formenton and Brown at the same time. Maybe for a game but it seems like they want them here to play.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Here's my guess.

Forwards
Dzingel-Turris-Stone
Smith-Brassard-Ryan
Hoffman-Pageau-Burrows
Extra: Brown

Defence
Phaneuf-Ceci
Oduya-Claesson
Borowiecki-Wideman

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Line 1 LW Dzingel C Turris RW Ryan
Line 2 LW Hoffman C Brassard RW Stone
Line 3 LW Smith C Pageau RW Formenton
Line 4 LW Thompson C Brown RW Burrows

1st D-Pair LD Phaneuf RD Ceci
2nd D-Pair LD Claesson RD Oduya
3rd D-Pair LD Borowiecki RD Wideman

Goalie's:
Starter: Anderson
Backup: Condon

Scratched List
LW Pyatt
RD Karlsson + Foot
C White + Broken Wrist 6-8 weeks SOIR
LW MacArthur + Post Concussion Syndrome (Failed physical)

Should recall Chabot after Tuesday’s roster compliance. To replace Boro in the top 6.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I'm not sure that having two of our 13 forwards as junior aged players is viable for very long. How long do we really think Formenton and Brown will stick around?

I'd probably be scouring the waiver wire over the next few days...

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Remember when people kept insisting that Methot's loss wasn't that big of a deal? Just keep watching. It'll become even more apparent when the regular season starts.

Reactions: Bileur

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Remember when people kept insisting that Methot's loss wasn't that big of a deal? Just keep watching. It'll become even more apparent when the regular season starts.
remember when the regular season didn't start yet?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Perhaps missing Karlsson and Ceci for the last few also had something to do with our struggles the last 3 pre-season games

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Sure, that has a lot to do with it too, and I know it's early...but he will be missed more than people like to think, in my opinion. I don't see this team as a playoff team especially with that defense. I hope they prove me wrong though like they did last playoffs.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Methot will be greatly missed and it will be made worse by the coach who will overuse guys like Borowiecki, Oduya and Phaneuf while better players in Chabot and Harpur ride the bus in the AHL. This is a dumpster fire waiting to happen. Only Karlsson can save us from getting out of the basement and being competitive this season.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
What I really dislike right now with Boucher is that all of his LD absolutely need to play the LW lock... And to me that's shows lack of imagination/good coaching. When you have a kid like Chabot coming up, you play him on his natural side to help him out and make it easier on him. Even if that pair is not playing the lock, you have a stud puck moving D ... You don't absolutely need to use that strategy.

I'm totally fine with sending Chabot in Belleville, I personally think it was a good move especially that Karlsson will likely not miss much time if at all. That being said I just hope Boucher is willing to use him on the Left on future opportunities.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Agree completely Use the talent to build a system around it, not just plug it into an existing one. That's how Tampa was lost in that last year by Boucher.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Agreed. It's good to stick with a system and hold your ground, but you also need to be flexible. We can't continue to go out and overpay for every single body Boucher wants to fit his exact system. Sooner or later you need to work with the bodies you have and try to play to the players' strengths.

megalomania

Sep 29, 2010
Switzerland
What struck me as strange is that on the one hand Boucher seems to insist on this rigid differentiation of roles on the D and goes to the length of putting players on their off side while on the other hand forwards are expected to be totally flexible in their positions and in the way they cover the ice. Maybe I misunderstood that part, but this seems like a confusing contrast.
I generally agree with disliking what seems to be an excessive insistence on a specific part of the strategy. Sooner or later Boucher will have to adapt his system to the players he actually has.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Agree completely Use the talent to build a system around it, not just plug it into an existing one. That's how Tampa was lost in that last year by Boucher.

wait, you think Tbay was bad in year 3 under Boucher because they didn't appropriately use the talent they had and instead of adjusting the system to fit the players, plugged square pegs into round holes?

Can you provide a compelling case for this, because the obvious answer in year three (and two for that matter) was the drastic collapse of their goaltending; Roloson fell apart and the team couldn't make up for that. How many teams have made the playoffs with sub .900 goaltending? Tbay had a sv% of .899 in 12-13 (that includes the games Bishop played after Boucher was fired) and .889 in 11-12.

But here's the problem; if we are to assume that Ottawa's problem is not properly using the talent we have, what are you suggesting? Change the system every time a new player with talent arrives, even before they are a finished product? Perhaps change it only when Chabot is on the ice? I'm not sure either of these options are all that appealing.

I think you could make a case for (and against) developing a system that allows for a more diverse type of player in each slot. Personally though, I think Boucher was moving Chabot to the right because he saw more of an opening on that side. I also think he values Boro far more than most around here.

Now that pre-season is done, do we only have 6 Dmen on the roster (plus Karlsson)

Here's my guess at the lines;

Forwards
Dzingel-Turris-Stone
Smith-Brassard/Brown-Ryan
Hoffman-Pageau-Burrows
Extra: Brassard/Brown (if Brass is good to go he's in, otherwise Brown is)
Inj: MacArthur, White

Defence
Phaneuf-Claesson
Oduya-Ceci
Borowiecki-Wideman
Inj: Karlsson

Anderson
Condon

I think Karlsson might be there opening night and take Claesson's spot or at the very least travel with the team, because carrying 6 D seems odd to me.

Also; I've seen our roster listed as 23 men, I've got 24 with all the injured guys included. I'm assuming MacArthur isn't being counted, but Brassard, Karlsson, and White are?

We might pick up a waiver wire to have an extra healthy body, or call McCormick back up.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I hope someone is targeted on waivers... Terrible depth up front. Thank god McCormick was sent down he is not an NHL player. Sending Chabot down without giving him a single chance to play his natural position to me is mind blowing. Like I get sending him down when he doesnt perform but he certainly wasnt given a great opportunity. The 'system' excuse to me is strange, Oduya is not a big player is not physical why is it ok to have him in the left D role and not Chabot?

This entire training camp has been very strange to me. Is Paul skating at all? If so why wasnt he kept up with the team to have a chance to play? Having Boro in the top 6 after his training camp also goes against performance based evaluations. He was terrible and wasnt played out of position like Claesson and Chabot were.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Methot will be greatly missed and it will be made worse by the coach who will overuse guys like Borowiecki, Oduya and Phaneuf while better players in Chabot and Harpur ride the bus in the AHL. This is a dumpster fire waiting to happen. Only Karlsson can save us from getting out of the basement and being competitive this season.

My god, basement? You're kidding right? I trust the coach and GM who just took the same group to the Eastern final.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I hope someone is targeted on waivers... Terrible depth up front. Thank god McCormick was sent down he is not an NHL player. Sending Chabot down without giving him a single chance to play his natural position to me is mind blowing. Like I get sending him down when he doesnt perform but he certainly wasnt given a great opportunity. The 'system' excuse to me is strange, Oduya is not a big player is not physical why is it ok to have him in the left D role and not Chabot?

This entire training camp has been very strange to me. Is Paul skating at all? If so why wasnt he kept up with the team to have a chance to play? Having Boro in the top 6 after his training camp also goes against performance based evaluations. He was terrible and wasnt played out of position like Claesson and Chabot were.

Boro had a spot locked up as a 6/7 D. Not really hard to comprehend. He wasn't battling for a spot really.

Reactions: Classless Goon

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Boro had a spot locked up as a 6/7 D. Not really hard to comprehend. He wasn't battling for a spot really.

Its hard to comprehend his spot is secure when his performance was so underwhelming. Pretty mixed message to send to the group when performance isnt rewarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad