Line Combos: 2017-2018 Sens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I hope so when it comes to Burrows. He's not going to provide a replacement for Mac's point totals but if he could provide 70% of them (huge "if") plus throw his opponents off their game, that would be alright with me.

Problem is, he did virtually none of the "throw opponents off their game" stuff once acquired from the Canucks. He's a nice veteran, I guess. But for all his veteran-ish-ness, is he an upgrade over Dzingle or White this year? Likely not. Over Pyatt, maybe. Kind of a low bar.

Didn't Burrow say in an interview when he got here that he wasn't really that agitating type of player anymore? I seem to recall him mentioning something about just sticking to hockey these days.

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
Didn't Burrow say in an interview when he got here that he wasn't really that agitating type of player anymore? I seem to recall him mentioning something about just sticking to hockey these days.

Well he should stick to trying to draw penalties for the team, he's not that great of a hockey player anymore.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
With MacArthur out indefinitely it sounds like, the Burrows trade suddenly could be really important for Ottawa this year.

I do not view Burrows as a top 6 winger. At his age he is trending down and on a contender would be a 3rd liner at best and probably a 4th liner.

MacArthur was very good in his first year with the Senators, top 6 for sure, and has not got back to that form since then.

Dorion may have suggested Burrows was added due to the loss of MacArthur, but Burrows was not an equivalent player in my view.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I'll say this will probably be somewhere around what Ottawa's lineup will look like around opening night.

Ottawa Senators 2017-18 Line-Up. Only 22 active on the line up I posted.

Line 1 LW Hoffman C Turris RW Ryan
Line 2 LW Smith C Pageau RW Stone
Line 3 LW Paul C Thompson RW Burrows
Line 4 LW McCormick C White RW Pyatt

1st D-Pair LD Phaneuf RD Ceci
2nd D-Pair LD Chabot RD Wideman
3rd D-Pair LD Claesson RD Oduya

Goalie's:
Starter: Anderson
Backup: Condon

Scratched List
LD Borowiecki
LD Harpur
RD Karlsson + Foot
C Brassard + Shoulder
LW Dzingel + Wrist
LW MacArthur + Concussions (Failed physical)

LW VandeVelde ~ (PTO) < Release from try out.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'll say this will probably be somewhere around what Ottawa's lineup will look like around opening night.

Ottawa Senators 2017-18 Line-Up. Only 22 active on the line up I posted.

Line 1 LW Hoffman C Turris RW Ryan
Line 2 LW Smith C Pageau RW Stone
Line 3 LW Paul C Thompson RW Burrows
Line 4 LW McCormick C White RW Pyatt

1st D-Pair LD Phaneuf RD Ceci
2nd D-Pair LD Chabot RD Wideman
3rd D-Pair LD Claesson RD Oduya

Goalie's:
Starter: Anderson
Backup: Condon

Scratched List
LD Borowiecki
LD Harpur
RD Karlsson + Foot
C Brassard + Shoulder
LW Dzingel + Wrist
LW MacArthur + Concussions (Failed physical)

LW VandeVelde ~ (PTO) < Release from try out.

Dzingel is currently out with a groin tweak. He should be in the startling lineup
I think they go closer to the way they are currently going in camp

Hoffman Turris Smith
Ryan Pageau Stone
Dzingel White Burrows
McCormick Thompson Pyatt

Oduya Ceci
Chabot Phaneuf
Boro Claesson
Wideman... Still see Wideman being moved

I have high hopes for Harpur and think he could stick but until Wideman is moved he is likely sent down. Boro will be on the bottom pair.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
Dzingel is currently out with a groin tweak. He should be in the startling lineup

Hoffman Turris Smith
Ryan Pageau Stone
Dzingel White Burrows
McCormick Thompson Pyatt

Oduya Ceci
Chabot Phaneuf
Boro Claesson

I have high hopes for Harpur and think he could stick but until Wideman is moved he is likely sent down. Boro will be on the bottom pair.

This all makes a lot of sense to me. I could see Paul taking McCormicks place if he gets healthy early enough.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Hoffman Turris Smith
Ryan Pageau Stone
Dzingel White Burrows
McCormick Thompson Pyatt

Oduya Ceci
Chabot Phaneuf
Boro Claesson

This is pretty close to what I am thinking as well with a few minor tweaks. Even before White was hurt, I didn't think he was quite ready to step into the NHL & would require some time in the AHL. Brassard & Karlsson's return should really give this team a boost whenever they are ready.

Hoffman - Turris - Ryan
Smith - Pageau - Stone
Dzingel - Thompson - Burrows
VandeVelde/Paul - McCormick - Pyatt/Blunden - Rodewald might even have a shot for a 4th line job.

Chabot or Harpur could stay until Karlsson returns & IMO Harpur might stick while Chabot gets big minutes in Belleville.

Phaneuf - Ceci
Oduya - Claesson
Boroweicki - Wideman - until Wideman is traded

Anderson - Condon - Ottawa has some decent depth in goal this yr.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Hoffman - Turris - Ryan
Dzingel - Pageau - Stone
Smith - Brown - Pyatt
Burrows - Thompson - Chlapik

Oduya - Karlsson
Chabot - Ceci
Cleasson - Phaneuf

Boro - Wideman

I really think it would be boss for Brown to get 1 - 9 games to learn from the pros and then dominate OHL/Word Juniors.

Last edited:

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Hoffman - Turris - Ryan
Dzingel - Pageau - Stone
Smith - Brown - Pyatt
Burrows - Thompson - Chlapik

I really think it would be boss for Brown to get 1 - 9 games to learn from the pros and then dominate OHL/Word Juniors.

With Brassard not likely starting the season, I see no reason not to give a few of those games to Brown.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Hoffman Turris Smith
Ryan Pageau Stone
Dzingel White Burrows
McCormick Thompson Pyatt

Oduya Ceci
Chabot Phaneuf
Boro Claesson

Based on the games I have seen, Harpur has not stood out as very good at anything other than size and reach. I think he will be sent to Bingo for further development. I hope he develops more physical play to use his superior size to greater effect. I hope he develops over the next year in the AHL. He has super size so I hope he makes it.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Based on the games I have seen, Harpur has not stood out as very good at anything other than size and reach. I think he will be sent to Bingo for further development. I hope he develops more physical play to use his superior size to greater effect. I hope he develops over the next year in the AHL. He has super size so I hope he makes it.

I liked what I saw from him in the playoffs last year and I only saw him in one preseason game where I thought he was fine... not outstanding.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I liked what I saw from him in the playoffs last year and I only saw him in one preseason game where I thought he was fine... not outstanding.

Agreed. On a scale of 1 poor, 2 fair, 3 fine (good), 4 very good, and 5 excellent, he is about average somewhere between 2 and 3. He has not shown much in the way of puck-handling, shooting, play-making, passing, physical play, etc. to be rated higher than that. I hope he gets the AHL coaching and experience required to develop into a very good Defenseman because he has the size and reach to potentially become dominant as a defensive D man.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada

Hoffman Turris Ryan
Smith Pageau Stone
Dzingel White Burrows
McCormick Thompson Pyatt

Oduya Ceci
Chabot Phaneuf
Boro Claesson

I agree with your lines/pairing, just a little tweak on the first 2 lines (management love their Boro)

Ciccarelli22eh

Jan 30, 2015
Hey guys just looking st getting some input on your defence before my fantasy draft tonight. I picked up Boro last season and worked out well for me with hits & PIMs. My question is will his time be limited this season and possibly be your 7th Dman with Chabot? Is Chabot likely to get a full time position this year with the sens. I'm very interested in both of them but you guys seem to have a log jam on defence. So I would like to take the one that is more likely to be playing full time.

Thanks

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
Hey guys just looking st getting some input on your defence before my fantasy draft tonight. I picked up Boro last season and worked out well for me with hits & PIMs. My question is will his time be limited this season and possibly be your 7th Dman with Chabot? Is Chabot likely to get a full time position this year with the sens. I'm very interested in both of them but you guys seem to have a log jam on defence. So I would like to take the one that is more likely to be playing full time.

Thanks

Tough to say about Boro. I think he'll still see a fair share of games and icetime this season but maybe not as much as last year due to the arrival of Chabot and other prospects.

As for Chabot he's making the team IMO. Especially with the injury to Karlsson. He looks great out there so I'd expect him to start on the bottom pair (or maybe top 4) with some PP time to start the year. By mid season I expect him to have top 4 icetime.

Ciccarelli22eh

Jan 30, 2015
Tough to say about Boro. I think he'll still see a fair share of games and icetime this season but maybe not as much as last year due to the arrival of Chabot and other prospects.

As for Chabot he's making the team IMO. Especially with the injury to Karlsson. He looks great out there so I'd expect him to start on the bottom pair (or maybe top 4) with some PP time to start the year. By mid season I expect him to have top 4 icetime.

Perfect.

Thanks

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Hey guys, just wondered why Smith didn't get to play much while you guys still expect him to be in a top9 role. Something wrong with him or just preseason and they wanna look at other guys?

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Hey guys, just wondered why Smith didn't get to play much while you guys still expect him to be in a top9 role. Something wrong with him or just preseason and they wanna look at other guys?

Smith has played in 4 of the 5 preseason games thus far which is probably the most out of all the vets. So... not sure what you mean exactly.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Smith has played in 4 of the 5 preseason games thus far which is probably the most out of all the vets. So... not sure what you mean exactly.

Not sure what you'e talking about, I haven't seen Smith on the ice at all during preseason.......

Or at least that's the impression I got.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Guys, who would you say is our top 4 defensemen?

Karlsson, Ceci, Phaneuf and Oduya?, Claesson?

I get the impression Oduya is probably considered in our top 4 by Guy Boucher, but it's pretty evident that Thomas Chabot has the talent to push him out very quickly.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I agree. Oduya has looked good so far and appears to have healed well from his ankle injury. So Karlsson-Oduya is pair 1 and Phaneuf Ceci is pair 2. Pair 3 will be some combination of Boro, Wideman, Claesson and Chabot. I think Chabot will make the team very soon after a brief seasoning in the AHL possibly after Dorion works out a trade for Wideman, Boro and/or Claesson to improve the forwards.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
They've said that Oduya will be with Ceci at least to start so that one seems set.

Without Karlsson, I want:

Phaneuf-Chabot
Oduya-Ceci
Claesson-Wideman
Boro

Without Karlsson, I expect:

Phaneuf-Chabot
Oduya-Ceci
Boro-Wideman
Claesson

With Karlsson, I want:

Phaneuf-Karlsson