MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Smith-Pageau-Burrows
Dzingel-White-Pyatt

Kulikov-Karlsson
Claesson-Phaneuf
Chabot-Ceci

Anderson
McBackup (~1 mil)

Comes in around 71 mil, need some cheap players for extra's, and royally messes things up come time to re-sign Turris, Stone, and Karlsson, but we'd look good for this coming season. Oh, also, I somehow kept White in the lineup when I said I'd trade him to Philly, just sign Colin White the retired Dman and send that over in the trade, hope they don't notice.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
Karlsson will be just getting ready as the season starts. I would not expect him to be rostered until late October at the earliest. That leaves a hole on the RD and at the No1 spot.

I'd wonder if Ceci is promoted to RD1 for that time, or if Phaneuf steps across to fill it. Either way, it stresses the line up, including who is playing with who.

Claesson - Ceci
Chabot - Phaneuf
Borowiecki - Wideman
Harpur

We need a Stone type of player on the RD, especially with Karlsson out

That's a lot of youth/inexperience/limited skill on the left side. Yikes!! I just don't see why we go out and get a RD instead of a LD.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
Hmmm....

Sign Kulikov at ~2.5, Pageau at 2.75 Pyatt at 1

Trade Brassard, 1 rd pick, White, Chlapik for Giroux

Trade Boro and/or Wideman for futures

Hoff-Giroux-Stone
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan
Smith-Pageau-Burrows
Dzingel-White-Pyatt

Kulikov-Karlsson
Claesson-Phaneuf
Chabot-Ceci

Anderson
McBackup (~1 mil)

Comes in around 71 mil, need some cheap players for extra's, and royally messes things up come time to re-sign Turris, Stone, and Karlsson, but we'd look good for this coming season. Oh, also, I somehow kept White in the lineup when I said I'd trade him to Philly, just sign Colin White the retired Dman and send that over in the trade, hope they don't notice.
As you said, adding any new long-term contracts (ie. longer than 2 years) is soooo risky and has the potential to cause a lot of problems ahead of the 19/20 season. This is why Thorton ("free")or Duchene (giving up assets) make more sense.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
As you said, adding any new long-term contracts (ie. longer than 2 years) is soooo risky and has the potential to cause a lot of problems ahead of the 19/20 season. This is why Thorton ("free")or Duchene (giving up assets) make more sense.

The reality is in order to add a long term impact player, we need to shed one of Phaneuf of Ryan. It's still fun to see our team with an elite #1 though.

Thornton would be ideal, as I think he'd be an effective #1 and would help a ton on the PP, I also think a 2 year deal is not outside the realm of possibilities, unfortunately he probably has zero interest in Ottawa.

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
Say we start the season without EK and Brassard, and that we resign all of our FA...

Hoffman - Turris - Dzingel
Smith - Pageau - Stone
MacArthur - White - Ryan
Stalberg - Pyatt - Burrows

Chabot - Phaneuf
Claesson - Ceci
Harpur - Wideman

Andy/Condon

Yikes

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
If I had a guess before tomorrow we'll sign Kulikov for 3.4 million for one season. Purely based on his previous experience with Guy.

Then we'll try to trade for a top six forward, hopefully a center. If the price on Duchene has gone down we might be in luck there.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Don't sign anyone, leave some spots for the NHL ready prospects.

Hoffman- Turris- Stone
MacArthur- Brassard-Ryan
Dzingel- Pageau - White
Smith- Paul - Burrows
Pyatt

Claesson - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Chabot - Wideman
Boro

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Hoffman- Turris- Stone
MacArthur- Brassard-Ryan
Dzingel- Pageau - White
Smith- Paul - Burrows
Pyatt

Claesson - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Chabot - Wideman
Boro

There is no way Pyatt is an extra forward... Boucher loves that guy.

I'd like to see if we could add a guy like Kulikov to insulate the LD a bit; I'd also explore options like Grigerenko (high end talent reclamation project) and Jagr (mentor for some of our younger guys)

If we sign Kulikov, I'd look to move both Wideman and Boro, making room for Chabot, Claesson, and Harpur to fill out the roster.

I suspect only one of White or Paul makes the roster out of camp, though the surgery to Brassard might mean an extra rookie makes the cut.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If I had a guess before tomorrow we'll sign Kulikov for 3.4 million for one season. Purely based on his previous experience with Guy.

Then we'll try to trade for a top six forward, hopefully a center. If the price on Duchene has gone down we might be in luck there.

Kulikov's contract will be an interesting one. He may choose to sign dirt cheap in the right situation to rebuild his value for the next contract, or sign at a more 'fair' price if he want's instant gratification. I'd be ok with giving him 1 or 2 years, but would really have to weigh the pros and cons for a longer deal.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
This team currently has a log jam on defense with the amount of NHL/almost NHL ready prospects at the door and need playing time to develop.

You already got

Karlsson
Claessson
Ceci
Phaneuf
Wideman
Boro

and then that will push for spots this year
Chabot (Nothing to be said)
Harpur (Played NHL games)
Englund (Management loves him)
Jaros (All the impressions that he basically NHL ready)
Lajoie (A sleeper prospect, Boucher loved this dude last summer)
Wolanin ( Has looked good in dev camp)

We might have to trade one of Wideman and Boro to clear some roster spots for these dudes.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
hoffman turris stone

macarthur brassard ryan

smith pageau dzingel

pyatt white burrows

claesson karlsson

phaneuf ceci

chabot wideman

anderson

condon

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Trade Boro and/or Wideman for futures

This team currently has a log jam on defense with the amount of NHL/almost NHL ready prospects at the door and need playing time to develop.
With the loss of Methot & possibly Karlsson, the last thing we need is to get rid of proven defence, until a few of those rookies are proven. That isn't going to happen overnight.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Based on the internal budget, who is left to sign, one way contracts, who played well in the playoffs & who is healthy to start the yr this is my guess as to who starts the yr in Ottawa. Brown might get a 9 game stint before the decision is made as to whether to send him back to junior. I would guess Claesson starts with Karlsson but every other defencemen may also spend some time with Karlsson to spread the minutes around. Smith & Hoffman could again get played on different lines to spread the scoring around. I think White & Chabot spend some time (months) in Bellville to refine their game & learn the pro game, speed & decision making. Paul is older, looks NHL ready & has the size & strength to compete with NHL players. We'll see.

Smith - Turris - Stone
MacArthur - Brassard - Ryan
Hoffman - Pageau - Pyatt
Dzingel - Paul - Burrows/McCormick

Claesson - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Boro - Wideman/Harpur

Anderson - Condon/Dreidger

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Based on the internal budget, who is left to sign, one way contracts, who played well in the playoffs & who is healthy to start the yr this is my guess as to who starts the yr in Ottawa. Brown might get a 9 game stint before the decision is made as to whether to send him back to junior. I would guess Claesson starts with Karlsson but every other defencemen may also spend some time with Karlsson to spread the minutes around. Smith & Hoffman could again get played on different lines to spread the scoring around. I think White & Chabot spend some time (months) in Bellville to refine their game & learn the pro game, speed & decision making. Paul is older, looks NHL ready & has the size & strength to compete with NHL players. We'll see.

Smith - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Pageau - Pyatt

Claesson - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Boro - Wideman/Harpur

This is how I see it as well, though I think Chabot slots in to the #5 spot sooner than you think. I'm not sure he spends time in Belleville honestly.

Glaring needs I see: top 6 LW, top 9 RW.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
This is how I see it as well, though I think Chabot slots in to the #5 spot sooner than you think. I'm not sure he spends time in Belleville honestly.

Glaring needs I see: top 6 LW, top 9 RW.
Agreed,i find the RW a little more pressing.Its far too slow,it needs an injection of some speed

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Agreed,i find the RW a little more pressing.Its far too slow,it needs an injection of some speed

Pyatt played 3rd line RW for most of last yr with Pageau & I have a feeling that won't change this yr & Burrows also played RW on & off since we acquired him. Unless there is a trade I don't see any of that changing this yr & then there is White who they can play at C or RW. The left side is basically the same thing, even if Mac doesn't last long Dzingel can replace him again & they have some left wing depth. I'm not sure we see any changes until the deadline or next season. :shakehead

Last edited:

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
The reality is in order to add a long term impact player, we need to shed one of Phaneuf of Ryan. It's still fun to see our team with an elite #1 though.

Thornton would be ideal, as I think he'd be an effective #1 and would help a ton on the PP, I also think a 2 year deal is not outside the realm of possibilities, unfortunately he probably has zero interest in Ottawa.

I think he has interest in Ottawa now would he be willing to take a 2 or 3 year deal I am not sure.

delchief

Jun 10, 2006
Start of the year lineup, assuming one UFA acquisition (Kulikov) and one more re-signing (Stalberg).....

Hoffman - Turris - Ryan
Smith - Brass - Stone
Mac - Pageau - Burrows
Dzingle - White - Stalberg
(Pyatt)

Phaneuf - Karlsson
Claesson - Ceci
Kulikov - Harpur
(Boro, Wideman)

Andy/Condon

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Smith - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Pageau - Pyatt

Claesson - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Boro - Wideman/Harpur

Reasonable. I suspect McCormick plays in Bellville.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
He got a concussion from a bit of a dirty hit against boston; Never a healthy scratch to my knowledge,

He was a "healthy scratch" at some point in the playoff but it was after being cleared to play and the team was playing well.

After being insert, he was not taken out.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Hoffman- Turris- Stone
MacArthur- Brassard-Ryan
Dzingel- Pageau - White
Smith- Paul - Burrows
Pyatt

Claesson - Karlsson
Phaneuf - Ceci
Chabot - Wideman
Boro

Interesting to see someone else think Paul can play 4th line centre. Disagree White will replace Pyatt though & Chabot Boro, IMO both start in Bellville.

Reasonable. I suspect McCormick plays in Bellville.

All three extras should probably start in Bellville McCormick, Harpur & Dreidger at least until the first injury & it will give Ottawa some space to keep Brown for a few games or to try a couple of other guys should they want to do that.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
We came close last season. We will need a better team this year to improve. There are no guarantees that we will enjoy the same success with the same cast of characters. Essentially, we need at least the same production from the vets, and the younger guys need to step up
IMO, the projected lineup isn't enough. We need a proven 35+ goal-scorer and another top pairing defenseman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad