Prospect Info: 2017-2018 Prospect Stats and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
32-save shutout for Skinner. I listened to the third period and he made an incredible pad save in the final two minutes according to the announcer.

Skinner’s going all world right now. Considering Hockey Canada makes these decisions months in advance he should be a shoe in for the world juniors.

Making whatever scout that pushed Chia to trade up and draft him look like a million bucks.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Skinner’s going all world right now. Considering Hockey Canada makes these decisions months in advance he should be a shoe in for the world juniors.

Making whatever scout that pushed Chia to trade up and draft him look like a million bucks.
I thought he was done in Junior? No?

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
His save percentage must be around 0.935 in the playoffs now, it was 0.929 before tonight's game.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Please remind us, what was the trade that got us Skinner? Which scout touted this kid? Keith Gretzky?

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Please remind us, what was the trade that got us Skinner? Which scout touted this kid? Keith Gretzky?

This answers both of your questions:

Hometown Oilers trade up for Skinner

In a nutshell...the Oilers traded the 82nd and 126th picks for the 78th pick, which they used to draft Skinner.

It was Dustin Schwartz and Sylvain Rodrigue (Oilers goaltending development coach) that saw him at the WJ development camp and I'm assuming went to mangement and said " We need to draft this kid". Sounds like Bob Green played a part in it too.

Reactions: MoneyGuy

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I want to be excited about Skinner but goalie development is so hard to predict, never know what you're going to get with them.
Also, this could just very well be just a hot streak and that he'll resort back to being mediocre next season.

In any event, his playoff run is outstanding and him outdueling Hart is no small feat.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I want to be excited about Skinner but goalie development is so hard to predict, never know what you're going to get with them.
Also, this could just very well be just a hot streak and that he'll resort back to being mediocre next season.

In any event, his playoff run is outstanding and him outdueling Hart is no small feat.
I'm in the same boat. Granted we've never really drafted anyone very high since Dubnyk, it just seems that for us anyone we every really had turned into dust. I remember the like of Pitton and Roy being talked about, as well as one of the finns from 2011. Then a year later, guys are either never heard of or struggling in the ECHL.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
Really excited Skinner is finding some consistency in his game. It seems like this trade to Swift Current either was a great fit or motivated him to play better.

Previously, you'd watch him play, and think wow, this goalie is really athletic and good, then you'd look at his stats and it was almost like it painted a different picture. Lethbridge didn't/doesn't have the best defence core and system, but there was always that disconnect.

Glad to see him play so well, and finally putting up the numbers to match his on-ice play, that I knew he was capable of. At thins point, I think he's a shoe-in for WHL Playoff MVP if SC can hold on and close out the series.

For those concerned its just a hot streak... His numbers have been good ever since being dealt to SC. He's played 49 games there (25 regular season + 24 playoff) which, I'd argue is more than a streak. He has 11 shutouts total this year, pretty wild.

Last edited:

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Swift and Skinner win again 3-2 in OT. Gawdin with the hat-trick.

Much as I love that we look to have a player in Gawdin, the flames look to have one in Glenn Gawdin. He went supernova this year.

Hard to say what to think of Gawdin, yes his numbers are impressive but he's also 21 years old right now...as an overager he SHOULD be impressive.

If there's one thing Stan Drulia taught me, it's that you should never put too much stock in offensive numbers garnered by an overage junior, no matter how outstanding.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Hard to say what to think of Gawdin, yes his numbers are impressive but he's also 21 years old right now...as an overager he SHOULD be impressive.

If there's one thing Stan Drulia taught me, it's that you should never put too much stock in offensive numbers garnered by an overage junior, no matter how outstanding.

Especially in the WHL.

They have a pretty ugly track record when it comes to guys who end up near the top in the league in scoring.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Gawdin definitely isn't anything special, I highly doubt he becomes an NHL regular

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Anyone know what will happen with Skinner next year, i.e. is there an annonced plan (by himself or others). I believe he could play in the AHL given his late b-day.

Easy path with another year in juniors, or throw him into the deep end by signing him and putting him in the AHL?

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Anyone know what will happen with Skinner next year, i.e. is there an annonced plan (by himself or others). I believe he could play in the AHL given his late b-day.

Easy path with another year in juniors, or throw him into the deep end by signing him and putting him in the AHL?
My guess is they'll start him in Wichita(ECHL) and if he blows the doors off move him to Bakersfield(AHL). They've already got Starett and one of Montoya/LB/Ellis in Bakersfield and for him I think it's best to get the most game action possible. It'd be similar to what Shelbyville did with Tyler Parsons this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->