guessing

Marchand Bergeron Pasta
Debrusk Krejci Nash
Heinen Acciari Backes
Schaller Kuraly Wingels

Chara McAvoy
Krug Miller
Grz Holden/Mcquaid

Doesn't sound like Riley will be ready until game 2-3 (or longer)

If he skates tomorrow he will probably be a game-time decision for Thursday and hopefully good to go on Saturday.

I thought I saw somewhere that he has been skating, but not practicing?

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
If everyone’s healthy and Donato plays, the option that makes the most sense is Backes to line 4

I both completely agree with you and also the people that believe it will never happen.

A shame, because Backes on L4 would really fit for everyone. I could really see a Schaller - Kuraly - Backes line doing some damage and maybe being a series changer.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
If he skates tomorrow he will probably be a game-time decision for Thursday and hopefully good to go on Saturday.

I thought I saw somewhere that he has been skating, but not practicing?

yup. Thats what I saw too

The stitching/healing or he might have a minor concussion. Even if healthy, just uncomfortable/traumatized a bit ...which is understandable

AT least Rick and Kuraly will be ready

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
I can see this lineup having trouble scoring if Bergy's line plays like it did the last week or so. Who knows how Rick Nash is in 1st game action and then a lot of grinders

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I would definitely switch Kuraly and Acciari. Kuraly and Backes had some great success last year. Putting Heinen with those 2 would surely create a fine 3rd line.

Hadn’t thought about it like that, but you are right, Kuraly and Backes were good together. I’m not sure what Cassidy sees in the Heinen, Backes, Acciari trio? He had them together in a game last week. Acciari and Kuraly are similar players, so it could work.

Personally, I like a little more offensive look to the third line if Riley is out. For whatever reason, Cassidy really doesn’t like Backes at C, otherwise I would like to see 17-42-43.

I suppose if he’s getting offense out of the Top 6, the Bottom 6 they had today (with Acciari in for Gionta) will be rock solid defensively.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Different take if Riley can't go:

Marchy-Bergy-Pasta
DeBrusk-Krejci-Heinen
Rick N.-Donato-Backes
Schaller-Kuraly-Acciari

I'd almost give the 4th line 3rd line minutes, to shelter the Donato at center, ease Nash back into gameplay, and conserve Backes for a deep run. Also, you'd have Donato with two defensively reliable wingers.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
No.

The less Dobby plays (hopefully 0 second), the better it goes for the Bruins.

this is not true...

How many important games have the Bruins lost with Rask in the last few years

Not saying Dobby will save the day...but something strange is going on regarding these big must win games/game 7s with team not pulling through with Rask in net

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
do not like the acciari centering the 3RD line. Acciari at best is a 4TH line energy winger. To much to ask from him to play 3RD line centre.
He will be exploited.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
this is not true...

How many important games have the Bruins lost with Rask in the last few years

Not saying Dobby will save the day...but something strange is going on regarding these big must win games/game 7s with team not pulling through with Rask in net

If Dobby get's any playing time in this series, means the Bruins are in big trouble.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
also think chara & mcavoy need to play against Mathews and Nylander and Krug plays against Marner.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
also think chara & mcavoy need to play against Mathews and Nylander and Krug plays against Marner.

No Krug vs Marner please

I rather play Grz vs Marner. That 2nd line is fast. Krug has trouble with dealing with speed at the defensive end

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Definitely an interesting decision to go with Acciari as the 3C. I know Backes is best as a winger, but you can easily get by with him as the 3C and then bring in Donato on the RW. Keep the 4th line intact.

Reactions: Estlin

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
How is that cowardly?

An elite offensive talent isn't being given a shot to make his mark on the playoffs. Everyone ups the intensity in the playoffs just because Donato doesn't drop the gloves doesn't mean he won't as well and be more phyiscal/backcheck harder.

Play the kid game 1 under the assumption that he will be sitting for Riley Nash game 2/3 unless he goes off and forces us to keep him in the lineup. You can't really lose.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
An elite offensive talent isn't being given a shot to make his mark on the playoffs. Everyone ups the intensity in the playoffs just because Donato doesn't drop the gloves doesn't mean he won't as well and be more phyiscal/backcheck harder.

Play the kid game 1 under the assumption that he will be sitting for Riley Nash game 2/3 unless he goes off and forces us to keep him in the lineup. You can't really lose.
Can't really argue with this line of thinking.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Yuck they are saying Wingels in for Donato.

Very cowardly move if true.

More than half of Donato pts came in the PP . Not saying this is a bad thing but , 5 vs 5 ... he struggled (as expected as a rookie and coming in this late into the most intense part of the regular season). There is no way to sugar coat this. He got the puck stolen, outplayed along the boards etc. He was eventually dropped to the third line

Now with guys coming back, Donato, Gionta are odd players out. Wingels will be next once Riley is back

However if this team struggles to score , you can bet that Cassidy will insert Donato somehow

I think the original crew (plus Rick) deserve the chance to finish what they started.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Can't really argue with this line of thinking.
I can...

I have no problem whatsoever with Wingles going ahead of Donato and the idea of putting Donato in as our 3rd line center is just asking for trouble. Don't get me wrong, the kid is gonna be a fine player for us, but right now, he's a big liability on the defensive end.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I can...

I have no problem whatsoever with Wingles going ahead of Donato and the idea of putting Donato in as our 3rd line center is just asking for trouble. Don't get me wrong, the kid is gonna be a fine player for us, but right now, he's a big liability on the defensive end.

I love Donato but you can't ask him to play C up against Matthews/Kadri/Bozak/Plekanec.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Any word on the defensive pairings

Chara McAvoy
Krug Miller

look like looks

So does Grz

but will it be Mcquaid or Holden?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Any word on the defensive pairings

Chara McAvoy
Krug Miller

look like looks

So does Grz

but will it be Mcquaid or Holden?

Signs point toward it being Gryz and McQuaid

I think that can be a very effective 3rd pairing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad