Boston Bruins 2017-2018 Playoffs Roster

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Not sure about that,McQuaid plays physical and blocks shots.

But the Leafs aren't that tough are they? I worry more about their team speed and Holden is a lot faster than Quaider. The Captain, Killer and Backes can handle whatever rough stuff the Leafs might try IMO.

Reactions: Estlin

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Yep that’s the big question,and definitely a difficult decision for Cassidy to make.

He's been struggling on the boards, which is big in the playoffs. So if they want him in somehow there's a remote chance he could play 3C with Backes on the wing to do board work and have Nash center the 4th. I can't see it happen, but who knows.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
But the Leafs aren't that tough are they? I worry more about their team speed and Holden is a lot faster than Quaider. The Captain, Killer and Backes can handle whatever rough stuff the Leafs might try IMO.
No there not,that’s why I like him in,someone to punish there forwards,and his shot blocking,Leafs like to cycle and use the points a lot,and Bruins seem to give up quite a few goals from the points.

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
Although there are lots of options, everything seems to be set. The only real question is if Donato plays or not. If healthy, most of the lineup is seemingly locked into place
Yup. Not much wiggle room. If everyone is healthy it comes down to picking one of Donato, Acciari and Wingels and one of McQuaid and Holden.

I can see Cassidy testing Donato in the two home games and then sitting him in Toronto because of matchups. Get him in there with heavy emphasis on O-zone starts and see what he can do. If he's on fire he might stay in.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
It's basically Donato vs. Acciari, but sitting Donato would make things very easy for lines:

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
DeBrusk-Krejci-Rick Nash
Heinen-Riley Nash-Backes
Schaller-Kuraly-Acciari

If it's Donato in instead of Acciari, you're left with this framework:

DeBrusk-Krejci-X
X-Riley Nash-X
Schaller-Kuraly-X

You could argue for any of Donato, Heinen, Rick, and Backes being in any of those "X" spots except for Backes as 3rd line LW.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Tough tough decision at forward if all are healthy . Donato is a scorer and game breaker but it is absolutely useless to have or insert him on the 4th line . I can see Heinen going there but than Donato is moved up over him . I really have no clue what Cassidy will do . The 4th line is going to play and a lot so my guess is game 1 they stay together and he will see if they do well enough and if anyone plays themselves out of the line up . I am going with Donato being scratched but it could even be heinen but I think his all around play will win out . acciari basically has to hold off wingels with his own play and the general play of the 4th line will decide if he can keep a guy like Heinen joining it . I know I wouldn't want to make this decision because Donato is at worst still one of the very best goal scorers on this team so it is scary to scratch him.

mmk

Sep 5, 2014
Yeah there’s no way you can scratch Heinen. He’s our most important forward outside of the Bergeron line and DK.

Edit: you can also make a case for Riley Nash as #5. I think it’s close.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Edit: guessing Gionta is a place holder until Riley is healthy. I'm surprised to see Acciari out. Maintenance day?

Last edited:
Reactions: C0ach B0mbay

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Yeah there’s no way you can scratch Heinen. He’s our most important forward outside of the Bergeron line and DK.
I like Heinen but I don't agree with that or all. I think Debrusk has passed him so I believe as far as top 3 lines go he is on the bubble . Sunday Heinen only played more than wingels and gionta . Saturday he only played more than Gionta so I am actually even going to change my guess to Heinen being the game 1 scratch or inserted on line 4.

Obviously after lines I will go back to my first guess lol but heinen being the 4th most important forward is no where near true. He will be 9th in ice time of the top 3 lines .

looks like it will be

37-88-63

46-61=74

20-42-43

52-59 and either 55 or 57

donato chomping at the bit

Last edited:

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Not a center. Shoots right. He is there to pretend he is Nash.

You're probably correct. Either way I am not a fan of sitting Donato. He should be in the lineup, period. Toronto is a very fast and skilled team that rolls depth, the B's need to match it.

I'd go:

DeBrusk-Krejci-Nash
Heinen-Nash-Donato
Kuraly-Backes-Acciari

Or some variation of this. The Bruins should put their 12 best forwards on the ice, and I believe these are them. The combinations, outside of the first line, could fluctuate.

Chara-McAvoy
Grzelcyk-Miller
Krug-Holden

Grzelcyk and Miller are great together, they control possession and limit the opposition's chances very well. Krug has been great offensively this season but his possession numbers have slipped so I would move him to a 3rd line role and focus on using him in O-zone starts and give him as much PP time as possible. The 6th dman is a toss-up between McQuaid and Holden. I think Holden is slightly better but the B's will probably use McQuaid because of "toughness".

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
DeBrusk - Krejci - Rick Nash
Heinen - Acciari - Backes
Schaller - Kuraly - Wingels

Chara-McAvoy
Krug - McQuaid
Grzelcyk - Miller

Rask
Khudobin

Scratches: Ryan Donato, Brian Gionta, Nick Holden
Injured: Riley Nash

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
If everyone is healthy here's my lineup:
Marchand-Bergeron-Pasta
Debrusk-Krejci-Rick
Heinen-Riley-Backes
Schaller-Kuraly-Acciari

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-McQuaid
Gryz-Miller
Rask

I go with that until it doesn't work & then adjust accordingly.

I sit Donato at first because I'd rather he see playoff hockey from above the ice before being thrown to the wolves. Acciari & the 4th line have spent all season taking hard defensive zone shifts & Donato in over Acciari makes that line harder to lean on in those situations. Plus when someone inevitably gets injured Donato is a terrific replacement ala Seguin in 2011.

I go McQuaid over Holden even though it's a close call for me. McQuaid is in but has a short leash. I just love his experience & ability to settle things down when guys like Komarov & Martin start running around. Plus I am worried about the officiating in this series & would rather have McQuaid on the PK. But if this turns into a day at the races & McQuaid can't keep up I go to Holden without hesitation.

Reactions: rocketdan9

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

rather would like Backes to center the third line but whatever, not a big deal

guessing

Marchand Bergeron Pasta
Debrusk Krejci Nash
Heinen Acciari Backes
Schaller Kuraly Wingels

Chara McAvoy
Krug Miller
Grz Holden/Mcquaid

Doesn't sound like Riley will be ready until game 2-3 (or longer)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->