2017-2018 NCAA Hockey Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
La Panta tweeted Illinois is starting Div. I hockey next season. I assume that will be Big 10.
They want to have a plan for a D1 team in place within the year. They wouldn't actually start playing for a few years

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
They want to have a plan for a D1 team in place within the year. They wouldn't actually start playing for a few years
Yeah, from what I saw, the AD is "hoping to announce" the program by the end of the calendar year.

They have a lot of fundraising to do yet, and an arena to build, so I'd guess that they're at least 3 years out.

That's great news though, that'll get the B1G to 8 teams, which is a decent size for a college hockey conference.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Yeah, from what I saw, the AD is "hoping to announce" the program by the end of the calendar year.

They have a lot of fundraising to do yet, and an arena to build, so I'd guess that they're at least 3 years out.

That's great news though, that'll get the B1G to 8 teams, which is a decent size for a college hockey conference.
Club team has been top notch for a while.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Motzko flips another Husky in Nathan Burke for next year. That's 3 for sure (f***in snake) and the Athletic says Walker is still a gopher recruit.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
How can one be a snake if the players he recruited actually want to play for him and follow him to his current coaching gig?
Do players commit to a coach or a school? They never announce I'm happy to announce I've committed to Bob Motzko...it's the school.
He's also a coach who always claimed the Gentleman's agreement meant something to him...guess not.
He's a snake to me because IMO those kids were Husky recruits...not Motzko recruits.
Does not matter what school he's poaching from either. Once they commit....back off.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Do players commit to a coach or a school? They never announce I'm happy to announce I've committed to Bob Motzko...it's the school.
He's also a coach who always claimed the Gentleman's agreement meant something to him...guess not.
He's a snake to me because IMO those kids were Husky recruits...not Motzko recruits.
Does not matter what school he's poaching from either. Once they commit....back off.

I had a similar conversation with a former college hockey coach (our kids play hockey together and there's a lot of downtime). He described recruiting as:
- Selling the kid mostly on the hockey aspect (coaching staff, where he'd fit in the depth chart, some x's and o's, etc..) and what campus life would entail for him. Education would be a smaller part unless the kid was really interested in knowing more about specific programs.
-Selling the parents was mostly on the education aspect. What the school can do to help their kid get a useful degree. There was some hockey stuff but mostly on how the coaching staff would help the kid off the ice as much or more than on the ice. There was always a few parents that had NHL dreams for their kid, but most knew this would be the last bit of competitive hockey for their kid, and they were looking for the life after hockey stuff.
- He also said it's the coach's doing almost all the work to get a kid to come to their school. They are the ones making a personal connection with a kid. The school isn't what forms the bonds. The instructors aren't the ones getting to know the kids; and they could really care less if they ever see any of these kids on campus. I doubt you could find a prof that is sad he didn't get to teach Kunin at UW (for instance).

Most kids still in high school have no real clue on what they are going to major in. They might say a certain thing, but for most it's not usually set in stone and they end up changing their mind somewhere though their college career.

Most athletes aren't having their door beat down for their academic prowess. They might get into the same D-1 schools with the test scores and GPA, but they likely wouldn't be getting a full ride because of it. Really outside of the Ivy League and certain specialized degree programs a diploma from one B1G school isn't going to get you any hiring preference over someone with a degree from another B1G school (as an example). All that really matters is they get a degree in something somewhat useful.

All kids are different. Some have their hearts set on going to xyz school for whatever reason. Most just want to play their sport and have fun in college, and it doesn't matter which college it is.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
A lot of kids commit to a school to play for the coach they want. If the coach moves then there are always kids that will follow. It's honestly not surprising at all.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
I wonder if it's viewed as a bigger deal in hockey than FB or BB. You almost always hear about some of the top players for those 2 sports flipping several times between schools depending on who is coaching.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
A lot of kids commit to a school to play for the coach they want. If the coach moves then there are always kids that will follow. It's honestly not surprising at all.

If the kids moved on their own...I'm fine. That's not what is happening here and comments by Brodzinski (saying he would follow if Motzko asked) confirm that.
That is my issue and I personally have not seen this many flips from the school you left to your new one (and one more is likely).
Again what also rubs me wrong on this is his PUBLIC comments that he doesn't recruit kids once they commit...but he changes schools and that is out the window...and again it's not just SCSU recruits he is poaching.
I have issues with that...you don't. Fine.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Did they sign NLI’s?
As far as I’m concerned those players committed to Motzko and his coaching staff. He should be allowed to talk to them cause he sold those players on playing for him.
The gentleman’s agreement is gone. Nobody abides by it. It’s not written or enforced so until they sign a NLI anyone is fair game to talk to. Motzko is now at a big fish college hockey program so of course everything he said about player poaching when he was at a smaller university is out the window. He now has the power and resources to go after whoever he wants.

Cloud will still be a better hockey team. Mark my words.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Further proof that the Wild focus on character, integrity, and intelligence.

And yet they drafted Gabriel; the guy gets suspended for wanting to fight headed to the locker rooms and then gets 1 punch dropped... :sarcasm: :facepalm: lol

I could care less what school, CHL, Euro, Russia or wherever teams a draft pick played for at some point in his life. Pierre Mcguire sure does though.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
And yet they drafted Gabriel; the guy gets suspended for wanting to fight headed to the locker rooms and then gets 1 punch dropped... :sarcasm: :facepalm: lol

I could care less what school, CHL, Euro, Russia or wherever teams a draft pick played for at some point in his life. Pierre Mcguire sure does though.
Exactly. They could all come from Mars as far as I’m concerned. I really dislike the gophers but once they get in the nhl I’m all for them to do well.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Sampo Ranta released from his NLI due to an admission issue getting into UW. Sounds like he’s heading to Minnesota. Not surprised, also proof that it’s harder to get into Wisconsin than Minnesota (had that debate a long time ago).

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Sampo Ranta released from his NLI due to an admission issue getting into UW. Sounds like he’s heading to Minnesota. Not surprised, also proof that it’s harder to get into Wisconsin than Minnesota (had that debate a long time ago).
Wouldn't be a gopher recruit if Motzko hadn't poached him from somewhere else.:sarcasm:

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
I found it surprising because he was linked to BU immediately. Not a mention of Minnesota. Surprised they had scholarship money left over.
If he couldn't get the TOEFL for UW...he may not have for BU either. MN is lower than both the (90-95 min. vs 79).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad