2017-2018 Minnesota Wild General Discussion III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Joel Eriksson Ek, Luke Kunin, Nino Niederreiter, 2018 1st round pick, maybe Coyle, maybe Spurgeon. It would be a shame to trade Koivu. But I think you could move other guys and be ok. Contracts and other considerations make the realistic no-trade list much longer. These are desperate times for the GM, but this team can weather the storm and we're only at the quarter mark. I wouldn't really be upset if the rights to Kahkonen, Greenway, or Kaprizov moved either if none of those guys has a future in St. Paul.

It would be nice to get an inexpensive player who hasn't yet found a role for his organization: a player from the Nic Petan, Sonny Milano, Oliver Bjorkstrand tree. Michael Dal Colle or Ryan Pulock? Someone like Jake Virtanen? Maybe Buffalo deals us Hudson Fasching in exchange for someone better.

The Wild need some youth, they need some cap flexibility. Dumba should return a player with similar pedigree and upside if the decision is to cut bait. Brodin wouldn't get you a Taylor Hall but a lesser version would still help. After all, we don't know that the GM can afford Jason Zucker next season - he's playing himself into Nino's contract range.
Brodin actually probably could have got them Taylor Hall TBH.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Stunned to think that anyone thinks we can trade Brodin. Until Reilly and Dumba figure out how to use their considerable talents to actually PLAY DEFENSE, then we are up a creek on the back end.

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
First post in a while...
I’ve actually stopped watching the NHL this year. Once you come to the realization that the cycle of tanking-drafting-starpower is what dictates a majority of talent acquisition it’s not hard to see why the Wild are average. Love this team, but it was always an illusion.
I have better things to do than waste my life watching games with respect to a team that thinks they’re better than they really are.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
First post in a while...
I’ve actually stopped watching the NHL this year. Once you come to the realization that the cycle of tanking-drafting-starpower is what dictates a majority of talent acquisition it’s not hard to see why the Wild are average. Love this team, but it was always an illusion.
I have better things to do than waste my life watching games with respect to a team that thinks they’re better than they really are.
Well I’m still going to watch. In hopes that they will turn it around.Also I’m terrible person for this but I think people melting done over sports is kind of funny especially minnesota sports fans.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Well I’m still going to watch. In hopes that they will turn it around.Also I’m terrible person for this but I think people melting done over sports is kind of funny especially minnesota sports fans.
Some people take things way too seriously, and almost personally. Once they realize it's just a game and that the players are actually human, the meltdowns usually end. :laugh:

But man, does this state need a championship.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
First post in a while...

Thanks for the post, Sunshine. Unlike you, I have nothing better to do with my life than watch this team three times a week.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I still think (hope?) that this is our annual slump and we start burning villages and roaring back soon.

razor8

Nov 28, 2017

Yeah, I agree that melting down over sports is stupid, but I don't think that was a melt down. He expressed pretty much what my feelings are at the moment. Just apathy, not a melt down.

I'm just somewhat exhausted by the NHL as a whole. I seriously think that 82 regular season games plus playoffs is too many games. Nowadays I just watch the highlights on Nhl.com instead. That's just my personal opinion.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Yeah but possible first round exit is the biggest probability.
The Wild have done so long now. We need to get real deals, not just depth.

To quote the legendary Juhani Tamminen, we just need to win the right games. In other words, if we get hot during playoffs, we'll be fine.

Reactions: MVPGoon

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
North Stars made it to the finals in year 13. Bigger league, not as easy, but we be 17 years and waiting.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Cool. He's got 3G-4A in the 7 games he's spent down there, so mission accomplished I suppose. I assume he'd start on Coyle's wing this time? Curious to see how that would go.
I mean what’s the point of calling him up if you are just going to saddle him with Foligno and Stewart again?

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I'd go:

Nino - Staal - Stewart
Eriksson Ek - Coyle - Ennis

Granlund-Staal-Zucker
JEE-Coyle-Nino
Winnik-Koivu-Foligno
Ennis-Cullen-Stewart

Koivu can carry a Top 9 shutdown line with most grinder type wings. Hopefully by spring we can have Kunin and Parise and rock something like
Granlund-Staal-Nino
Zucker-Coyle-Kunin
Parise-Koivu-JEE

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I don't think we'll see Parise on Koivu's line at even strength. He won't last three games if he has to do the kind of heavy lifting #9 does. The focus has to be on Parise's health for a run this spring. Mitchell has been fine, not sure why he comes out of the lineup.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
So it sounds like the Eriksson-Ek call-up may have been triggered by Cullen going down?

Between him and Coyle I'd assume it's him taking Cullen's spot. Kind of a tough row to hoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->