2017-2018 liiga talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
HIFK needs defenceman's not centers.

Fair point. I think I was swayed by the HIFK FB group with some folks seemingly sad at his choice but you're right.

I checked the standings after yesterday's game and IFK and KalPa seem to have recovered well and are climbing. KalPa got a great win yesterday against JYP.

Ilves have disappointed this season so far.

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
I was at the game yesterday and Kärpät fans were electric, singing and waving throughout the game. Kärpät played great although IFK finally woke up in that third period and tied the game brilliantly with around 50 seconds or so left. Anyone else there?

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015
Here's my liiga predictions.

Regular season
1 Tappara
2 JYP
3 HPK
4 Kalpa
5 Pelicans¨
6 Ilves
7 TPS
8 Kärpät
9 Saipa
10 Kookoo
11 Lukko
12 Ässät
13 Jukurit
14 Sport
15 HIFK ( HIFK is total mystery they can make playoff qualification round if all goes perfect but they can flop too. Turbulence is back)

Medal teams
Gold Tappara
Silver JYP
Bronze HPK

Top Scorer Tomas Zaborsky
Best goal scorer Tomas Zaborsky
Best Defenceman Miro Heiskanen
Rookie of the year Jesperi Kotkaniemi
Best Goalie Ukko Pekka Luukkonen
First coach fired Ari Pekka Selin
Best coach Antti Pennanen
Most penalized player Joe Finley.
Best referee Jari Levonen.
Only one team right Jukurit

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
That was some crazy 1st period in game 5, JYP vs HIFK; 5-2

JYP scored 4 goals (2-0,3-0,4-0,5-0) with 4 consecutive shots, nuts.
After 3-0 HIFK changed goalies, but that didn't help, the back up goalie
let in his first two shots that he faced in 39 seconds, yikes.

14:53 -> 15:33 (40 seconds) HIFK scored 2 goals with 2 shots, respectfully.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
How does the pinnacle of 2-way Liiga hockey of the past decade, lose a 5 goal lead in the playoffs?

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
Considering the season start was a mess, Ari-Pekka Selin really steadied the ship and deserves a lot of credit along with the players both old and those brought in.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Tappara got away with a steal. They really didint excel in any area of the game, were not controlling the game, were not controlling anything, but KalPa was just too bad to capitalize anything, and Tappara got a way out. KalPa gave couple of free goals here and there, and was not able to score anything in the series. Just lack goal scoring skill. No way Tappara is anywhere close to being in Finals this year.

KalPas clearly best players; Mayone and Kantola

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
I have a feeling Turku can beat anyone when luck goes their way.

Tappara, despite their great season start, are nowhere near intimidating this year and are well beatable.

IFK are still a little unpredictable so could win the whole thing but I have a feeling Kärpät may just edge it.

IMO if not IFK this year to win then I can cheer on TPS, no problem with Kärpät (their fans were great at the Winter Classic) but not Tappara as I don't believe this team compares to previous years.

Saying that all of the above teams have loyalties in my wife's family and amongst our friends so social media and family events will be interesting this spring.

Last edited:

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
I feel like it's a crapshoot. The top 4 of teams are as such where all of them can win given the right circumstances.
But I do feel like Tappara has a slight edge on rest of their way - their core has been through so many long springs.

Toro2017

Sep 14, 2017
6-3 now. All to play for in Jäähalli tomorrow. Not looking great for us but I'm keeping the faith.

Edit: 6-4. Maybe.... just maybe. :)

And here it is on youtube.

And next day the series ended in Helsinki.

This is the third time in a row that HIFK goes to semifinals. Not something IFK fans are use to, even if IFK has one of the biggest budget in Liiga, every year.

Funny thing from game4. Every time JYP got a penalty, it was the same guy (Janne Kolehmainen) and when he was penalized for the fifth time, Fans in Helsinki gave him a standing ovation =)

Last edited:

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
And here it is on youtube.

And next day the series ended in Helsinki.

This is the third time in a row that HIFK goes to semifinals. Not something IFK fans are use to, even if IFK has one of the biggest budget in Liiga, every year.

Funny thing from game4. Every time JYP got a penalty, it was the same guy (Janne Kolehmainen) and when he was penalized for the fifth time, Fans in Helsinki gave him a standing ovation =)

Ha, ha! I heard that.

JYP coach got fired. He looked fried and dreading an opposition comeback while on the bench from his facial expression when IFK were at 6-5. He looked even worse for wear in the return game at Nordis.

Despite CHL success I doubt the players either couldn't recover mentally fro this series defeat under him or he himself needed to be relieved.

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
Tänään!

I must admit I was surprised by the result on Tuesday.

Win tonight and I think IFK can start to dream of a championship albeit with still difficult games to come.

I hope TPS get their act together and put out Tappara.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Kärpät wins HIFK in overtime 3-4.
Extremely lousy 3rd period cost win for HIFK tonight.

Based on the comments by Ruutu+ studio team HIFK looked tonight cocky and arrogant.
If there is some attitude problems in HIFK's locker room and team hopefully those problems will be gone immediately. IF HIFK plays in Saturday like they did tonight Kärpät will crush HIFK in saturday¨s game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->