2017-2018 Laval Rocket and Brampton Beast Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
There are 8 teams in the Pacific Division, 6 of them play 68 games and 2 of them (Texas Stars & San Antonio Rampage) play 76 like the rest of the league.

The 6 teams that play less are all located in California (except for Tucson, which is in Arizona). The other teams that play 68 games are the Ontario Reign (Kings), San Jose Barracuda (Sharks), San Diego Gulls (Ducks), Stockton Heat (Flames), and Bakersfield Condors (Oilers).
This is the reason why the standings are always determined by winning percentage instead of points. This is also why the Rampage are last in their division, even though they are 3rd when you only count points. But because they played 8 more games than most teams in their division, their winning percentage is the lowest in the standings.

It all started a few years ago when the NHL teams decided to bring their AHL affiliates closer. What they asked, with the backing of the NHL, was to have their farm teams to play less, travel less, rest more, and practice more. The AHL would either agree to that condition or the NHL was prepared to start another development league to accommodate the parent teams. The AHL agreed to those terms and for the last two seasons, 6 of the 30 (soon to be 31) teams play 68 games instead of 76.
That's fine and dandy but still makes it look less professional. A lot can happen in eight games, a quick winning or losing streak and the standings could change a whole hell of a lot.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
That's fine and dandy but still makes it look less professional. A lot can happen in eight games, a quick winning or losing streak and the standings could change a whole hell of a lot.

Yup. It's an odd one for sure. But despite the AHL being the second tier league in North America and is meant to be developing future NHL'ers, it feels bush league more than anything.

Their website is just bleh. It needs a real good makeover. The video feeds of the games you watch through AHL Live is real poor. The OHL, WHL, and the Q offer nicer websites and better video feeds.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Not that I think the world of them, but one of them is from my hometown, something I never thought I'd see (Morgan Adams-Moisan, from La Tuque)

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Interesting to note one of the signings is formerly of Bouchard's Armada and the other is from Ducharme's Voltigeurs. Hmmm... more smoke leading to the fire of those men joining the organization?

Not to forget Alain from Bouchard's Armada too.

I agree there really seems to be something going on.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Morgan Adams-Moisan??? Seriously? Geez this guy is tough as nails...but just can't skate.....Melancon is just....average. I know, just AHL signatures but still bad ones.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Joel Bouchard - GM and Ducharme as coach. This is the dream I have right now for the Rocket.

A AHL GM is nothing. You first are assistant to the GM....AND you add AHL GM. He is not the ones who takes any decisions EXCEPT the kind of signatures we are just seeing. But everything else is fueled by the GM and the scouts. Bouchard will never be just that.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
A AHL GM is nothing. You first are assistant to the GM....AND you add AHL GM. He is not the ones who takes any decisions EXCEPT the kind of signatures we are just seeing. But everything else is fueled by the GM and the scouts. Bouchard will never be just that.

I was talking about the Rocket only but in my scenario Bouchard would be AGM too with the Habs. Carrière should be a scout for now.

Morgan Adams-Moisan??? Seriously? Geez this guy is tough as nails...but just can't skate.....Melancon is just....average. I know, just AHL signatures but still bad ones.

Who is better Ebbing or Adams-Moisan?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
So according to EOTP, T.J. Melancon signed a One-Way AHL Contract. He was with Norfolk Admirals in the ECHL last year and had 43 points (15G, 28A) in 58 games. He also played in the AHL on an ATO/PTO with Belleville (2 games), Syracuse (6 games), and Tucson (1 game). He didn't have any points in the 9 games he played between the three teams.

As for Morgan Adams-Moisan, he is signed to a Two-Way AHL Contract. This means if he is sent to the ECHL, he gets paid less. Adams-Moisan had a significant bump in production last season in Drummondville after spending the previous three with Blainville-Boisbriand. After having 11 points in 58 games in 2015-16, and 12 points in 62 games in 2016-17, he had 61 points (32G, 29A) in 68 games last season.

Laval had already signed Adam Plant for the 2018-19 season to a One-Way AHL Contract. This LD spent the last four seasons at University of Denver in the NCAA, winning the Championship in 2017.

I like that the Rocket are signing some of these guys. Because even if they all end up in the ECHL, it's always better to have your own players there ready for a call up to the AHL team once they are faced with injuries/call ups to the NHL.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I was talking about the Rocket only but in my scenario Bouchard would be AGM too with the Habs. Carrière should be a scout for now.

Who is better Ebbing or Adams-Moisan?

Neither. I'd do without both of them easily. But Adams-Moisan had an interesting boost compared to his other seasons that might be worth a shot. Just that in no way shape or from is he a future NHL'er. If Waked had all the trouble adapting, can't imagine Adams-Moisan...Melancon could be interesting. Surely more interesting than the guy they signed Adam Plant.....I have no idea how those professionnals could be so off.....even JUST as a AHL signing.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Neither. I'd do without both of them easily. But Adams-Moisan had an interesting boost compared to his other seasons that might be worth a shot. Just that in no way shape or from is he a future NHL'er. If Waked had all the trouble adapting, can't imagine Adams-Moisan...Melancon could be interesting. Surely more interesting than the guy they signed Adam Plant.....I have no idea how those professionnals could be so off.....even JUST as a AHL signing.

Well I saw Plant live with the Rocket and he has nice speed and mobile, but he's nothing more than AHLer at the very best.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque

In an ideal world, Waked should have been sent in the ECHL early in the season, mismanagement there. Or 'Lefebvre/Carriere management'.

And Adams-Moisan, I don't see the NHL potential either, but who knows, maybe the confidence he gained will translate into something, I know I liked the way he worked around the net, bullish and a pain in the ass.

Melancon I don't know him, but I wondered what the heck they saw in Plant, and, I don't know, just seems like a 'project' that is recurring, the 'Mac Bennett experiment'.

Mac Bennett, David Makowski, Joel Hanley, Tom Parisi, now Adam Plant... small mobile D who someone seem to hope develops into something they can't.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal

I guess these are the type of moves just to please some of the fans who still think language is the most important thing regarding a hockey team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad