Prospect Info: 2017-2018 General Prospect Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I didn't like the pick to begin with. Wasn't even the best player on his team in H.S.

Who else was on that Wayzata team? I seem to remember Cameranesi looking like a better player the one time I watched them in person. I saw them lose (at least I think they lost?) a section final to someone at Mariucci.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Who else was on that Wayzata team? I seem to remember Cameranesi looking like a better player the one time I watched them in person. I saw them lose (at least I think they lost?) a section final to someone at Mariucci.

Cameranesi was the leading overall scorer on that team. Lucia led the team in goals. They lost in the section final to Eden Prairie. ;)

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Looks like Cameranesi's putting up .65 PPG in the ECHL, so... I guess our scouting staff recognized the better player? :P

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
I never said he wasn't the better player for the professional leagues. Just that he wasn't the best player on his H.S. team. And if he can't even do that unless the other is a 1st round talent, then the outlook is not positive. Underwhelming pick, and that was not an uncommon reaction.

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Because people were hyping him up like a 1st or 2nd round pick. He was supposed to be a top 6 forward given how well he did at BC. He was one of the centers for the future for Minnesota.

Can it apply to Lucia as well?

Lucia and Zack Phillips in the same draft. Might have wasted a 1st and a 2nd for that year. :cry:

I'm not ready to give up on Lucia yet. He only has 1 pro season and broke a bone during the season. He could end up being a casualty of the Wild's wing depth and never see NHL ice for the Wild.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Lucia and Zack Phillips in the same draft. Might have wasted a 1st and a 2nd for that year. :cry:

I'm not ready to give up on Lucia yet. He only has 1 pro season and broke a bone during the season. He could end up being a casualty of the Wild's wing depth and never see NHL ice for the Wild.

Plus the wasted 3rd and 4th used to draft up for him. Joseph Labate was a better high school player, better college player and has had a better pro career thus far. They lost a trade with Vancouver and that's not great. But he does have another season.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Plus the wasted 3rd and 4th used to draft up for him. Joseph Labate was a better high school player, better college player and has had a better pro career thus far. They lost a trade with Vancouver and that's not great. But he does have another season.

I don't think any of this is true?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I don't think any of this is true?

It is somewhat true at least. He was injured his senior year a bit, that's why he slipped in the draft. Lucia wasn't even a Mr. Hockey Finalist. At college he didn't score like Lucia, but he was rarely a first-liner and had to learn a new position. Lucia was always a big power play guy, couldn't be trusted to play 200 feet. As for the pros, Labate already has more NHL games played than Lucia ever will. A total guess of course but I'm not much of a believer at this point.

totally water under the bridge of course, but trading up is still one of the worst draft strategies. Wild have vastly improved their approach of course.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
It is somewhat true at least. He was injured his senior year a bit, that's why he slipped in the draft. Lucia wasn't even a Mr. Hockey Finalist. At college he didn't score like Lucia, but he was rarely a first-liner and had to learn a new position. Lucia was always a big power play guy, couldn't be trusted to play 200 feet. As for the pros, Labate already has more NHL games played than Lucia ever will. A total guess of course but I'm not much of a believer at this point.

I believe that 'Mr. Hockey' award slight was more due to Lucia not being a senior.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012

totally water under the bridge of course, but trading up is still one of the worst draft strategies. Wild have vastly improved their approach of course.

Isn't this because he left high school after his junior year and played for Penticton in the BCHL?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

13 games, and it might be a little easier nowadays to break onto the Vancouver roster than ours.

Lucia smoked him in college production, while actually being a bit disappointing, and has better AHL production so far as well.

200 foot game not withstanding, I don't think Labate was anything notably different in that area.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Isn't this because he left high school after his junior year and played for Penticton in the BCHL?

Yes, realized it after I walked away. Knew you guys would catch that.

I've always said that playing in the BCHL didn't help him in the least though.

Smoked him? He got 20 or so more points, playing with NHL talents and a ton of pp time. I'm not saying LaBate is a better player or prospect either. Lucia would have most likely gone in the 2nd if the Wild hadn't moved to get him; LaBate would have hung around. But giving up two lottery tickets for one lottery ticket is, to me, bad math. Anyhow.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Yes, realized it after I walked away. Knew you guys would catch that.

I've always said that playing in the BCHL didn't help him in the least though.

Smoked him? He got 20 or so more points, playing with NHL talents and a ton of pp time. I'm not saying LaBate is a better player or prospect either. Lucia would have most likely gone in the 2nd if the Wild hadn't moved to get him; LaBate would have hung around. But giving up two lottery tickets for one lottery ticket is, to me, bad math. Anyhow.

On that point, we agree.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
peter & others what do you think of our picks & where does our prospect pool rank now? anybody you like in particular?

Last edited:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Anybody remember what the trade up was for Zucker?

Edit: found it, also a 3rd + 4th for the 2nd. Joe Basaraba and Joonas Donskoi taken with those picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad