Prospect Info: 2018-2019 General Prospect Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
I didn't even realize that Roy was his coach.

He came back this season after previously coaching the team between 2005 and 2013.

Roy probably understands more than everybody else what a goalie can do when he's frustrated. :sarcasm:

What he said:

"He injured his wrist by punching the wall when I pulled him on Friday. We will know tomorrow [Tuesday] whether it is a fracture or a simple dislocation. Yes, it worries me, but it's part of the learning process for a young player. We are not happy that he did that, but he is a young man who has intensity and we will see tomorrow [Tuesday]"

ALso, he said he didn't pull him because he was having a bad game. He did it after two quick goals at the beginning of the 3rd but he had already taken his time out so he made a goalie change to talk to his team.

Last edited:

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Bet it's grown. Used to live in Hamilton, and had a good buddy in the Beach. Nice part of the world- Grimsby, I mean, not Hamilton!
Urban Encroachment at it's finest. Many orchards are condos now but it is still nice by the water. Sorry for going off topic.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Mason Shaw looks like he's acclimated well to the AHL; 1 goal, 3 assists for 4 points. Sokolov hasn't scored a goal yet.

TLP

Apr 9, 2018
Does anyone know how long McBain will be out with Mono? BC is 0-3 and I haven’t read anywhere when he will be cleared to play. Not sure how much he can help right now, coming off Mono but can’t hurt.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Does anyone know how long McBain will be out with Mono? BC is 0-3 and I haven’t read anywhere when he will be cleared to play. Not sure how much he can help right now, coming off Mono but can’t hurt.
Boston College is 0-16-4 in its last 20 regular-season non-conference games. Believe it goes back to November, 2016. McBain would certainly help as there is really nowhere to go but up.

Last edited:

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Any chance for a 2018-19 prospect Thread?

This be it.

I doubt it: our mods won't even update the affiliate in the AHL/ECHL thread. I no longer have my mod powers, which also makes the task of keeping the status current very difficult. But we'll certainly see some Kaprizov highlights.

Updated title & OP.

Don't have time to manually update everything so I'm leaving that work to the fine folks at Elite Prospects.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Wow. Sorted the page by league and realized we've only got one WHL prospect. That's got to be an all-time low for the Wild. They used to love to draft WHL.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Wow. Sorted the page by league and realized we've only got one WHL prospect. That's got to be an all-time low for the Wild. They used to love to draft WHL.

Caught an interesting interview with former Wild WHL prospect Reid Duke the other day - he's having some success at the AHL level despite injury all last season. I wonder what the thought process was in cutting bait with him over guys like Jenys and Lang?

Dewar is having a nice season, at least. Hopefully still on the WJC radar.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Svetlakov isn't exactly tearing it up over in the KHL.

Excellent faceoff man, not much else, it seems. Maybe he'd get a chance on a team that has a little more need for him. Lots of possible/marginal/ex-NHLers on his current team though and his ice-time is down from the past two seasons.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Caught an interesting interview with former Wild WHL prospect Reid Duke the other day - he's having some success at the AHL level despite injury all last season. I wonder what the thought process was in cutting bait with him over guys like Jenys and Lang?

I thought Duke didn't want to be here or that it was financial or a combination of the two.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Flahr said, “Some of our signings, what we have coming into the program, if you look at right wing in Iowa or going forward, you’ve got [Alex] Tuch and [Christoph] Bertschy and [Zack] Mitchell and whether [Kurtis] Gabriel’s up or down, maybe him. We’ve got [Adam] Gilmour, who’s going to play center or right wing. [Marc] Hagel. Even [Sam] Anas, whether he’s center or right wing, we haven’t decided.
“We just didn’t know if there was really an opportunity for him.”

Sounds more like they had so many people slotted in front of him, they didn't have room. One of the dumbest reasons to not sign a prospect.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Flahr said, “Some of our signings, what we have coming into the program, if you look at right wing in Iowa or going forward, you’ve got [Alex] Tuch and [Christoph] Bertschy and [Zack] Mitchell and whether [Kurtis] Gabriel’s up or down, maybe him. We’ve got [Adam] Gilmour, who’s going to play center or right wing. [Marc] Hagel. Even [Sam] Anas, whether he’s center or right wing, we haven’t decided.
“We just didn’t know if there was really an opportunity for him.”

Sounds more like they had so many people slotted in front of him, they didn't have room. One of the dumbest reasons to not sign a prospect.
How is that dumb?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Count me as ‘not worried’ that Reid Duke is going to make us pay.

Who's worried? It's just a small example of poor talent evaluation. Duke is an AHLer, not too likely to be more than a trivia answer, but he seems like a good guy. Yet they did sign guys like Jenys and Lang who are ECHLers - barely. Amateur procurement is an area that has needed improvement since roughly 2003.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Who's worried? It's just a small example of poor talent evaluation. Duke is an AHLer, not too likely to be more than a trivia answer, but he seems like a good guy. Yet they did sign guys like Jenys and Lang who are ECHLers - barely. Amateur procurement is an area that has needed improvement since roughly 2003.

Are we sure he's an AHLer?

I'm just saying that guys at that level come and go, and I'm not going to concern myself with it too much until/unless we start seeing guys hitting the NHL elsewhere.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Are we sure he's an AHLer?

I'm just saying that guys at that level come and go, and I'm not going to concern myself with it too much until/unless we start seeing guys hitting the NHL elsewhere.

A person that plays in the AHL should have some other way of describing that? His five points would be ... best on the Iowa squad... What are you disagreeing with?

I agree that he personally is no big loss to the system. Yet when the team hasn't drafted an NHL forward since 2010 I think there IS a scouting issue! A team that can't tell the difference between guys who are ECHL at best and guys that are AHL-quality at worst is a team that is not going to have much success producing legit prospects.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
A person that plays in the AHL should have some other way of describing that? His five points would be ... best on the Iowa squad... What are you disagreeing with?

I agree that he personally is no big loss to the system. Yet when the team hasn't drafted an NHL forward since 2010 I think there IS a scouting issue! A team that can't tell the difference between guys who are ECHL at best and guys that are AHL-quality at worst is a team that is not going to have much success producing legit prospects.

Sample size.

His 5 points would be tied for best, and he has played 2 more games than our guys.

Tuch is an NHL forward.

Duke hasn't come close to proving that he's "AHL at worst". He can flame out the same as Lang or Jenys.

Last edited:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Duke hasn't come close to proving that he's "AHL at worst". He can flame out the same as Lang or Jenys.

I get what Saga is getting at; while Reid is in the AHL, he's better depth than Lang or Jenys who has struggled to even stick in the AHL. All of them can flame out, but at least Reid has stuck in the AHL and is progressing. Lang and Jenys barely scratched the AHL, and have a much bigger hurdles to clear than Reid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad