Prospect Info: 2018-2019 General Prospect Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
And, shockingly, 6'3" and above players wash out of the NHL or never get a shot because they aren't good enough too.

If Coyle was 5'8" and coming off of a 18 goal, 58 point season, he most definitely would've been in the NHL. Eriksson Ek was there flying in the face of proper development.

Spurgeon might not be "Spurgeon" if he didn't grow up having to learn how to be smarter than everybody else on the ice.

I don't think Coyle would have ever even have gotten a real NHL shot if he didn't have his size.

Exact same skillset I'll take the 6'2" 200 lbs guy over the 5'8" 150 lbs guy. The floor is just higher (imo) for the bigger player.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Since when is playing physically not part of a skillset? We aren't talking about the ballet.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Whispers Brayden Point had 90 points in his draft year.

Also there is great story I can’t remember where. Tampa taken advantage of drafting small players because other teams past on them because of size.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I don't think Coyle would have ever even have gotten a real NHL shot if he didn't have his size.

Exact same skillset I'll take the 6'2" 200 lbs guy over the 5'8" 150 lbs guy. The floor is just higher (imo) for the bigger player.
I can’t wait for the Wild to draft more Kurtis Gabriel’s and Brayden Chizens and less Kaprizovs and Sokolovs.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I can’t wait for the Wild to draft more Kurtis Gabriel’s and Brayden Chizens and less Kaprizovs and Sokolovs.
And these are the only two choices? You can't find any better examples than Chizen and Gabriel? Do you believe that size has no bearing at all in hockey? In other words, would you rather have a good big/strong man or a good little/weaker man?
Part of what makes great players like Ovi, Crosby, Malkin, etc.. is their strength. To deny that it is important, especially after we just got our asses handed to us by a bigger, stronger Jets team, seems perverse.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
And these are the only two choices? You can't find any better examples than Chizen and Gabriel? Do you believe that size has no bearing at all in hockey? In other words, would you rather have a good big/strong man or a good little/weaker man?
Part of what makes great players like Ovi, Crosby, Malkin, etc.. is their strength. To deny that it is important, especially after we just got our asses handed to us by a bigger, stronger Jets team, seems perverse.
Part of the problem is that, where we tend to draft, you don't get the big, fast, skilled guys. It's closer to the old engineering "choose 2" problem. Fast and skilled does tend to be more appealing that big and skilled these days, but there are always exceptions.

Big and fast is definitely a worry.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
If you're just going to divide them into big or small, Sokolov would most definitely fall on the big side.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

We got our asses handed to us by a better Jets team.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
We didn't lose to the Jets because they were bigger and stronger. We lost to the Jets because we couldn't complete tape-to-tape passes. Kept having pucks hop off of stick blades, causing out players to have to re-gather the puck before trying to make a play, which bogged the team down tremendously.

That's why we need more skill in the lineup, so we can play with more speed.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Updated chart for post-draft

Position/SkillsNames
GoalieKaapo Kahkonen, Dereck Baribeau, Ales Stezka
Two-way DFilip Johansson, Gustav Olofsson, Jack Sadek
Puck-moving DEric Martinsson, Gustav Bouramman, Brennan Menell, Simon Johansson, Louie Belpedio
Shutdown DNick Seeler, Hunter Warner, Jacob Golden, Nick Boka, Carson Soucy
Playmaking CMason Shaw, Sam Anas, Jack McBain, Alexander Khovanov,
Dante Salituro
Two-way CLandon Ferraro, Andrei Svetlakov, Sam Hentges
Scoring FKirill Kaprizov, Dmitri Sokolov, Jordan Greenway, Luke Kunin, Nick Swaney, Shawn Boudrias
Two-way WIvan Lodnia, Justin Kloos, Connor Dewar, Chase Lang, Bryce Misley, Damien Giroux
Checking FPavel Jenys, Brandon Duhaime
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Nice to see all the draft picks will be at the Dev camp this year.

Minnesota's entire eight-man rookie class, including both Johanssons, is in attendance, as are a number of undrafted invitees from around the country. Many of those players have local ties, either from their days playing collegiately or because of their hometowns.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
For the older guys:
Looks like Mitch McLain and Gerry Fitzgerald ('93) signed (ATO at least) with Iowa after their Sr. year last spring. Zeb Knutson ('94) finished his Sr year and played a couple games for MKE the end of last year (so a GMPF guy?). Mason Jobst ('94) is going into his Sr year this season, was the "C" for Ohio State last year.

Ty Farmer's name sounds familiar to me for some reason. I must have noticed him in a USHL game. I wonder if it was for good reasons or bad reasons? :dunno:

I won't be at the scrimmages. So I hope somebody goes and spills the beans on players. Are they going to stream the scrimmages on the website?

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
Scott Conway is an interesting invitee … I understand he got kicked off Penn State after making the Big Ten All-Freshman team. He then transferred to Providence and played with Brandon Duhaime. He was born in England and his dad is a member of the British Hockey Hall of Fame.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
In theory, Sokolov should be the best player at the camp, and to a fairly significant degree as well.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Hey guys, I'm a big fan of Mason Shaw and if any of you attend camp and have impressions, I'd love to hear them.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
nothing has really changed in the prospect rankings #1 kaprizov; #2 greenway; #3 kunin ; #4 sokolov; #5 belpedio. after a year in the nhl i dont count JEE anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad