2017-2018 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Little correction.

Didn't really like the ouctome of MB drafts so far, BUT, I'm -really- hopeful for the last 2, I think 2016 and 2017 will bring the depth we've been sorely lacking for a long time.

it didn't start out well for MB since '12 ended up disappointing after starting out well and then '13 had it's disappointments but still could yield some decent players. '14 is a draft that I think could end up being a decent one for us depending on how good Scherbak is plus if Evans does what I think he can and I really like Hawkey plus you have a depth guy like Lernout. '15 with just 1 pick in the top 86 at least got Juulsen and now we need to see what Addison and Vejdemo turn into.

So still very early to say on his drafts other then '12.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
We know Churla is Director of Amateur Scouting, but we also know Timmins truly oversees that department. Timmins described his recently appointed position as Assistant GM as simply being able to have input on what happens to the prospects after they are drafted.

An example he used was when Habs traded McDonagh, he was upset and was never consulted. But in the Sergachev trade, he had input on what happens because he's part of the decision making process now.
So is Timmins another member of this management team that I need to call an idiot?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Feel free to do so.
It pains me to do so because I respected him. But now reading that he had input in the Sergachev trade has left such a bad taste in my mouth that I wanna spit while calling him an idiot. I'm so disgusted by that trade I can't believe anyone with any experience in scouting would agree to it. Even if - and that's a big if - Drouin hits his ceiling you don't make that trade. And then when you add Drouin's personality to the mix it's a disaster waiting to explode in MB's face. I don't wanna hear any more excuses for Timmins about his disadvantages working for idiotic GMs. Him agreeing to that trade puts him in the same category as the GMs he worked for.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
It pains me to do so because I respected him. But now reading that he had input in the Sergachev trade has left such a bad taste in my mouth that I wanna spit while calling him an idiot. I'm so disgusted by that trade I can't believe anyone with any experience in scouting would agree to it. Even if - and that's a big if - Drouin hits his ceiling you don't make that trade. And then when you add Drouin's personality to the mix it's a disaster waiting to explode in MB's face. I don't wanna hear any more excuses for Timmins about his disadvantages working for idiotic GMs. Him agreeing to that trade puts him in the same category as the GMs he worked for.

I never read anywhere he agreed to that trade. He could have said it was a dumb idea and MB doing it anyway for all we know.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I never read anywhere he agreed to that trade. He could have said it was a dumb idea and MB doing it anyway for all we know.

yea I never heard this before, granted I don't follow the media but I just don't recall hearing anything about Timmins giving the ok or not on that trade. Although to be fair it wouldn't be Timmins fault that they played him at center as he was coming off a very good year with TB and looked like he could be a 60+ pt winger for us.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

I responded to Adam Michaels' post where he said the reason Timmins was an ass GM was so he could have more input into what happens to prospects. I have trouble seeing MB - Idiot that he is - go against his head scout's wishes. Also, when Gauthier unloaded McDonagh it became news real fast that Timmins was not only not consulted of the trade but he wasn't too happy about it. Not a peep about the Sergachev trade from Mr. Timmins this time around which leads me to think he was for it. Or worse case scenario not overly concerned about it.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017

Timmins is part of the team that makes these decisions, so he is in part responsible for all the decisions. Even if he was ignored he has a responsibility to get his opinion across just like everyone else who was consulted.

In any case it's really too early to judge that trade. Sergachev might become a perennial Norris candidate or he might never play as well as he did this year... and Drouin still has time to become a better player as well... or worse..

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Timmins is part of the team that makes these decisions, so he is in part responsible for all the decisions. Even if he was ignored he has a responsibility to get his opinion across just like everyone else who was consulted.

In any case it's really too early to judge that trade. Sergachev might become a perennial Norris candidate or he might never play as well as he did this year... and Drouin still has time to become a better player as well... or worse..
Sergachev is tremendously talented, but ya, way too early to judge that deal. If he was on the Habs he would have vastly different numbers... and he's still making way too many mistakes out there for the word Norris to be uttered.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

It's not too early. Drouin is a not center and Sergachev is a left PMD. The Habs are in desperate need of centers and a left PMD. They didn't and don't need wingers. You can wait till the Messiah comes nothing is gonna change those facts.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
It's not too early. Drouin is a not center and Sergachev is a left PMD. The Habs are in desperate need of centers and a left PMD. They didn't and don't need wingers. You can wait till the Messiah comes nothing is gonna change those facts.

Interesting take, and there is definitely something to that... but I don't think it's that simple. More than anything the Habs need to score goals. They need as much talent as they can get... so if they thought this trade would do that then I can't blame them for trying... Drouin is a heck of a player and I can see why they would have thought he could create more scoring... It still might happen but I think they are missing several other pieces.

Hopefully they can get some of those pieces in this draft! The top 3 picks should all be very good prospects and then having 7 more picks is a great opportunity to throw some darts!

Mdamico

Dec 29, 2006
I responded to Adam Michaels' post where he said the reason Timmins was an ass GM was so he could have more input into what happens to prospects. I have trouble seeing MB - Idiot that he is - go against his head scout's wishes. Also, when Gauthier unloaded McDonagh it became news real fast that Timmins was not only not consulted of the trade but he wasn't too happy about it. Not a peep about the Sergachev trade from Mr. Timmins this time around which leads me to think he was for it. Or worse case scenario not overly concerned about it.

I dont buy this at all. Bergevin even said, he was met with a lot of confrontation from his immediate staff during trades, but that hee had the final say ( April 2018 Press Conference). Timmins was visibly irate when Bergevin traded for Shaw at the Draft table. He was also visibly upset at the 2017 Draft when, on top of trading Sergachev, Bergevin was on the phone the whole time trying to strike a deal for their first pick. Timmins finally won out there and the Habs picked Poehling ( and Chicago was fuming). I don't buy that Timmins has a large role in the decision making. Insight, yes. However, Bergevin makes the final call.

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
I dont buy this at all. Bergevin even said, he was met with a lot of confrontation from his immediate staff during trades, but that hee had the final say ( April 2018 Press Conference). Timmins was visibly irate when Bergevin traded for Shaw at the Draft table. He was also visibly upset at the 2017 Draft when, on top of trading Sergachev, Bergevin was on the phone the whole time trying to strike a deal for their first pick. Timmins finally won out there and the Habs picked Poehling ( and Chicago was fuming). I don't buy that Timmins has a large role in the decision making. Insight, yes. However, Bergevin makes the final call.
Well that makes sense, as he's the GM. Obviously if Timmins felt like his input wasn't being received he wouldn't still be with the Canadiens organization. There are likely times when moves are made that he isn't in full agreement with, but he understands the situation nonetheless.

Reactions: WinterLion

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017

Timmins could easily get another job. He is very well respected around the league. If he really was so pissed with MB he could just leave... instead he chose to work with him as assistant GM.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Interesting take, and there is definitely something to that... but I don't think it's that simple. More than anything the Habs need to score goals. They need as much talent as they can get... so if they thought this trade would do that then I can't blame them for trying... Drouin is a heck of a player and I can see why they would have thought he could create more scoring... It still might happen but I think they are missing several other pieces.

Hopefully they can get some of those pieces in this draft! The top 3 picks should all be very good prospects and then having 7 more picks is a great opportunity to throw some darts!

That is one way of looking at it.

Another way is to get at the very least one legit top 6 center and then you have two wingers who will score more often. Two for the price of one. The Habs offense wasn't anemic because it lacked goal scorers. It was anemic because primarily it lacked centermen to set up the wingers we have. And the wingers we have are good: Patches, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Lehkonen. We didn't need a faux center in Drouin. And I haven't even touched on Drouin's disgusting attitude all year long.

I hope I'm wrong but I got a bad feeling this upcoming season with Drouin's prissy attitude

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
That is one way of looking at it.

Another way is to get at the very least one legit top 6 center and then you have two wingers who will score more often. Two for the price of one. The Habs offense wasn't anemic because it lacked goal scorers. It was anemic because primarily it lacked centermen to set up the wingers we have. And the wingers we have are good: Patches, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Lehkonen. We didn't need a faux center in Drouin.

Yeah... they definitely needed a C... and it's doubtful that Drouin will be that... It's frustrating for sure!!

I just see that as a different issue. Let's hope we can finally solve that with a Paccioretti trade.

At least Poehling is looking good and Evans will likely be a C too. It would be great to add another young C that is better than Poehling... preferably a lot better!

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
If we can move Drouin to LW and trade Pacioretty for a young C or LHD then not all is lost.....in hindsight, I’d never do the trade, really like Sergachev, but we gotta look forward on this one and see if we can make it somewhat right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad