2017-2018 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Yeah I saw him at the development camp. He looked good, but not ready. Scherbak looked better, but also not ready. I probably wrote something up about it with my old name... maybe not.. I only went for one day...

I agree he isn't ready for the NHL. But he sure is ready for the next step, the AHL.

Reactions: WinterLion

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I agree he isn't ready for the NHL. But he sure is ready for the next step, the AHL.

Yes definitely... and you never know. I'm sure he will know what he needs to work on over the summer. He brings a lot of desirable things... he is a right handed C with some skill... right now Logan Shaw is playing minutes in that role.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Sounds like he had a better last third of the year than the 1st 2 thirds.

I didn't see him in the playoffs or at the 4 Nations tournament but in his first 26 games he had 2 pts, he had 12 pts in the next 26 games. I only saw a little of him this year, both early and around mid-season, I saw flashes of skill, good play but someone that looked undersized and lacking in strength. Hopefully next year he can take a big step forward.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I didn't see him in the playoffs or at the 4 Nations tournament but in his first 26 games he had 2 pts, he had 12 pts in the next 26 games. I only saw a little of him this year, both early and around mid-season, I saw flashes of skill, good play but someone that looked undersized and lacking in strength. Hopefully next year he can take a big step forward.

Numbers don't always tell the story but that is a significant change in production. I will take it.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Ikonen improved a ton, I can certify that. He's still a long way from where he needs to be though, I want to see him carry that into next season. The good news in his case is that a lot of what he needs to do is training and conditioning oriented . I can see him having a very good 18-19 if he puts in the work this summer in the gym.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
So he's not a confirmed bust like some claimed 2 months after he was drafted? Hard to keep track of prospects. It's almost like the play of some of these 18-20 years old tend to evolve.

Reactions: Redux91 and 417

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
So he's not a confirmed bust like some claimed 2 months after he was drafted? Hard to keep track of prospects. It's almost like the play of some of these 18-20 years old tend to evolve.

He was very disappointing in the first half of the year. He came back to normal progression in the second half. We'll see next year. Still has a long way to go.

I'd rank the last year prospects:

Poehling
Brook
Primeau
Fleury
Ikonen
Tyszka
Walford

He was outproduced clearly by Texier (Texier was drafted 13 rank earlier in the 2nd). He was also outproduced by D+2 players Markus Nurmi, Eetu Tuulola (6th round), Otto Kovula (4th round) and Jerry Turkulainen (undrafted). An older center comparable would be Aleksi Saarela (2015 89th, same height) who got 33pts in 51 games post-draft and 28 points in 49 games D+2 (also got 10 points in 9 AHL games).

He needs to at least double his production next year. Actually, 2.5x would be where I set my bar (35 points) for being very good.

At this point, it might be good for him to spend a year in the OHL so he can have prime time opportunities (albeit against easier opposition).

Next year is gonna huge for Ikonen.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
With the Evans signing today, all the prospects whose rights expired this year are under contract. Another one who can be signed and would be eligible to play in Laval next year is Fleury. And of course, the college and Euro players would be eligible, too. But most of them have already decided what they're doing next year (Ikonen and Vejdemo signed for another year and Poehling confirmed he's returning to SCSU).

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

I was just shocked at how slow he looked at the WJCs while being as small as he is. Speed and strength just looked like virtually insurmountable obstacles. I hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: dralaf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad