2017-2018 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
How do you know what Staum will be? Granted as a 5th round pick, nobody should expect much from him. What's wrong with his game that says he will stay hidden?

As for Timmins late round picks, Evans, Hawkey, Addison, Reway, Hudon, he's got a few that certainly look like they could be NHLers.

Oh I don't know for sure. Just an opinion. As this is a board for opinions. I don't think I always have to write in my opinion.

Then, Addison, Reway and Hudon are not nobodies. They were pencilled to go in their draft year and people knew them. So your closest guys to Staum would be Evans and Hawkey and despite a good NCAA year for EVans, we'll see how much he develops.

AGain, not talking about late rounders here. Just guys that Timmins sold us as "hidden gems" or guys that most people really wondered who those guys were when picks happened. The picks that we were saying either Timmins was right and all the otheres weren't.....or he was wrong and all the others were right. Didn't get a whole lot of success with those aside from Streit and Halak. But yeah, it's too soon to tell for Evans and Co....

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Oh I don't know for sure. Just an opinion. As this is a board for opinions. I don't think I always have to write in my opinion.

Then, Addison, Reway and Hudon are not nobodies. They were pencilled to go in their draft year and people knew them. So your closest guys to Staum would be Evans and Hawkey and despite a good NCAA year for EVans, we'll see how much he develops.

AGain, not talking about late rounders here. Just guys that Timmins sold us as "hidden gems" or guys that most people really wondered who those guys were when picks happened. The picks that we were saying either Timmins was right and all the otheres weren't.....or he was wrong and all the others were right. Didn't get a whole lot of success with those aside from Streit and Halak. But yeah, it's too soon to tell for Evans and Co....

How is a 5th, 6th, or 7th round pick not hidden gems? If they were more highly known they would have been picked sooner no? Also how does Timmins "sell" these hidden gems? I don't watch or listen to anyone in the media so I'm interested to know.

So why in your opinion will Staum not make it? What about his game don't you like? How was his progression from Hill-Murray to the USHL? What does he need to work on? Did you get to see much of him at Hill-Murray?

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
How is a 5th, 6th, or 7th round pick not hidden gems? If they were more highly known they would have been picked sooner no? Also how does Timmins "sell" these hidden gems? I don't watch or listen to anyone in the media so I'm interested to know.

So why in your opinion will Staum not make it? What about his game don't you like? How was his progression from Hill-Murray to the USHL? What does he need to work on? Did you get to see much of him at Hill-Murray?

Nope. Didn't see him at Hll-Murray. But saw him with Dubuque. How many players in HISTORY have succeeded after having such an ordinairy stats season in the USHL or Junior the year after they were drafted? Certainly not a whole lot. And reason why I compared him to Bennett is because he brings the same type of game. Speed, puck possession. But with not being a threat neither offensive or defensively. And those types of d-men, if they don't develop, they stop at the AHL level. It's not about disliking his game. It's about seeing that he has such a big toolbox to develop that it's an uphill road. It can happen. It guess I was wrong when I had the same argumentation for Scott Kishel back in the days.....or Colin Sullivan (who, by the way, I liked the pick at the time....still...) All those guys look the same. Good skater. Good puck possession guys. But that just miss an overall game that they couldn't develop.

No, Not all 5th, 6th, or 7th rounders are hidden gems. Alex Avtsin was suppose to be a hidden gem. Lukas Vejdemo is supposed to be hidden gem. Pavel Valentenko, who was described by Timmins as a better Alex Emelin was a hidden gem. Yet, not because Michael Pezzetta was chosen far away that he is a hidden gem...he was picked that far 'cause teams thought his potential was low.

So Timmins sell his hidden gems by calling those that. Calling those potential steals. Saying that they were lucky to get "him" 'cause he didn't see a whole of other teams scouting him etc.

But it's just an opinon based on what I saw in Dubuque. Based on the stats. Based on Timmins past and his "hidden gems".

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Nope. Didn't see him at Hll-Murray. But saw him with Dubuque. How many players in HISTORY have succeeded after having such an ordinairy stats season in the USHL or Junior the year after they were drafted? Certainly not a whole lot. And reason why I compared him to Bennett is because he brings the same type of game. Speed, puck possession. But with not being a threat neither offensive or defensively. And those types of d-men, if they don't develop, they stop at the AHL level. It's not about disliking his game. It's about seeing that he has such a big toolbox to develop that it's an uphill road. It can happen. It guess I was wrong when I had the same argumentation for Scott Kishel back in the days.....or Colin Sullivan (who, by the way, I liked the pick at the time....still...) All those guys look the same. Good skater. Good puck possession guys. But that just miss an overall game that they couldn't develop.

No, Not all 5th, 6th, or 7th rounders are hidden gems. Alex Avtsin was suppose to be a hidden gem. Lukas Vejdemo is supposed to be hidden gem. Pavel Valentenko, who was described by Timmins as a better Alex Emelin was a hidden gem. Yet, not because Michael Pezzetta was chosen far away that he is a hidden gem...he was picked that far 'cause teams thought his potential was low.

So Timmins sell his hidden gems by calling those that. Calling those potential steals. Saying that they were lucky to get "him" 'cause he didn't see a whole of other teams scouting him etc.

But it's just an opinon based on what I saw in Dubuque. Based on the stats. Based on Timmins past and his "hidden gems".

So Timmins sells hidden gems by saying they were lucky to get them? What other players has he said they were lucky to get? Collberg perhaps since he was gushing over him but who else. Sounds like mostly non CHLers.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
So Timmins sells hidden gems by saying they were lucky to get them? What other players has he said they were lucky to get? Collberg perhaps since he was gushing over him but who else. Sounds like mostly non CHLers.

Yes mostly non-CHL'ers. As I said before, Avtsin, Vejdemo, Valentenko. I remember Mikus as well. Joe Stejskal, this great athlete that was playing all tons of sports. Trunev. I think we could say Gallagher though. Nygren too...yet this guy, I have no doubt to believe it's mostly a development issue than a drafting one. And others....And yes, we will wait a couple more years for more recent ones....

But I wouldn't have Collberg on that list. He was seen for some to go about where he went. Maybe some had him in the 1st round...but he was clearly not hidden.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Yes mostly non-CHL'ers. As I said before, Avtsin, Vejdemo, Valentenko. I remember Mikus as well. Joe Stejskal, this great athlete that was playing all tons of sports. Trunev. I think we could say Gallagher though. Nygren too...yet this guy, I have no doubt to believe it's mostly a development issue than a drafting one. And others....And yes, we will wait a couple more years for more recent ones....

But I wouldn't have Collberg on that list. He was seen for some to go about where he went. Maybe some had him in the 1st round...but he was clearly not hidden.

So they have to be guys we were lucky to get and they went later then expected? I don't remember talk about here about hidden gems at the time. I know Vejdemo he talked about an injury the previous year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'll wait for the regular season to start, a lot of junior pre-season is beating up players who wont make it

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I'll wait for the regular season to start, a lot of junior pre-season is beating up players who wont make it

Looking forward to here about how these guys do in the rookie tournament. It's just a summer tournament but a much better indicator that junior pre-season, I'll give you that.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Looking forward to here about how these guys do in the rookie tournament. It's just a summer tournament but a much better indicator that junior pre-season, I'll give you that.

I really like Josh Brook and Walford, so I'm hoping it is a sign of things to come. Just not going to care unless they have really dominant junior seasons.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

True. Although I'd rather have Habs prospects beating them up because I'd be more worried if they weren't productive against guys who will eventually get cut.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
True. Although I'd rather have Habs prospects beating them up because I'd be more worried if they weren't productive against guys who will eventually get cut.

I don't even put much into the first few regular season games until all the NHL draft picks are back with their teams. But I'm also looking more at how they are improving their weaknesses vs strengths, so that's over the course of the season anyway.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
All I could find is this..

After recording a three-point game Friday, Cale Fleury picked up a pair of assists to finish his pre-season with five points in two games.

http://whl.ca/article/whl-roundup-woods-three-point-night-leads-chiefs-over-americans

It appears that Cale Fleury's misfortune playing for last place Kootenay Ice, has been the Habs good fortune. Apparently many scouts didn't make watching the Ice a priority, Fleury's attendance at the rookie camp has had a great effect upon his play. We the Habs fans, watch for any & all Habs prospects development, especially those young defencemen Timmins has kept a guarded secret. Until the Habs have acquired them in the draft, the WHL is developing great defensive prospects every year, for a couple of decades now, catching up with the other great CHL's, OHL counterparts. One needs to watch Jett Woo(Moose Jaw Warriors ace defender) whose abilities are reminiscent of Guy Lapointe as a young pre-NHLer.

The Habs look to have another big draft year looming, Timmins having possibly 5 picks in the 1st- 90 choices this year. A strong draft year with 4 picks in the top 60, depending upon Sergachev's success in Tampa Bay, which he should be a veritable lock to play 40 games for, guaranteeing the Habs retain the 2nd round pick in the Drouin/Sergachev trade.

The depth of promising prospects the Habs have drafted these past 5 yrs.(Since GM Bergevin has rebuilt our farm system) ensures the Habs will be a power in the NHL for years to come, like it was when Selke & Pollock were the Habs GM's. It's all good news on the Western Hockey League front, for the Habs, whose scouting efforts are an example for other franchises to follow once again, IMHO!!!...:nod::nod::nod:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
A pair of 5th round choices from 2014 could be opening eyes around the NHL in a couple of seasons, IMHO. Audette the Habs 2nd pick in that 5th round is already turning heads, the other earlier pick being Nikolas Koberstein, whose 3rd NCAA season is about to begin. As his experience/development has shown he adds a little more offence each year, this could be a good omen for the Habs defensive depth in prospects, alongside 3rd round pick in 2014 another RHD Brett Lernout.

The Habs farm system is starting to show good growth, in prospects picked past the first two rounds, where any prospect that makes the NHL is considered a steal. Charles Hudon 5th round 2012 & Brendan Gallagher 5th round 2010, that's two in two yrs. for Trevor Timmins, that's high quality picking by any standards.

Go Habs Go!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad