2017-2018 Blues Discussion Thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
That thought of Brouwer returning makes me want to vomit. Fabbri and Stastny carries him. If Armstrong went full Pejorative Slur and traded for him I would rather dedicate my free time to the Avalanche. At least with them I was expecting a shitty year. :cry::banghead:

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I shouldn't even entertain this, as I don't believe for a second that we're interested...but if we attempt to trade for Brouwer, we would be unloading a bad contract. Bad contract for bad contract, yet we really don't have any (Berglund and Bouwmeester are debatable). My guess would be Bouwmeester back to Calgary to his old stomping grounds. Since Brouwer is signed for 2 years more than Bouwmeester, how about Armstrong get a 1st rounder in 2018 in return? (I'm kidding guys, this is all ridiculous).

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
I shouldn't even entertain this, as I don't believe for a second that we're interested...but if we attempt to trade for Brouwer, we would be unloading a bad contract. Bad contract for bad contract, yet we really don't have any (Berglund and Bouwmeester are debatable). My guess would be Bouwmeester back to Calgary to his old stomping grounds. Since Brouwer is signed for 2 years more than Bouwmeester, how about Armstrong get a 1st rounder in 2018 in return? (I'm kidding guys, this is all ridiculous).

I don't think Bouw's contract would really prevent us from getting anyone over the next two years. If we acquire someone at the deadline, we only the cap space for the prorated part of their contract. Statsny's comtract is off of the book after the season.

Not sure we have someone capable of playing his minutes either. Dunn is only 20 and his style of play might clash with Petro. Edmundson maybe but he still needs to prove he can be adequate with the puck on his stick, maybe playing with Petro would cover that up. Gunnarson can't stay healthy.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Some people on the main board have said that the Blues are the ones trading for Brouwer. If that's the case then i'm going to go jump off a building.
...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
If Army trades for Troy Brouwer he is truly an idiot. After this summer I was beginning to think he got his head back on straight but if he does this, he will put himself right back in the fans dog house.

That being said, I just finished up my Game#1 GDT. (barring lineup changes)

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
If Army trades for Troy Brouwer he is truly an idiot. After this summer I was beginning to think he got his head back on straight but if he does this, he will put himself right back in the fans dog house.

That being said, I just finished up my Game#1 GDT. (barring lineup changes)
You mean he had it on straight at one point?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
There was 3 mil in cap space when we signed Upshall.

There’s now 2.2 and even half of Brouwer’s deal is still 2.375. Salary would have to go the other way.
Well Brouwer makes 4.5 - half would be 2.25 so it's actually quite possible.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
  • Just finished a 12 hr shift, and trying to digest the information. Great thread people, I really like reading the differing opinions! My own take :
  • I'm perplexed at the decision to keep Thompson over Blais. The cap hit argument makes some sense. Perhaps Tage's defensive game is better than Sammy's?
  • Glad they kept Dunn over Walman.
  • What happened to Barbashev? I only got to see one preseason game and the rest of training camp information I garnered from this board. Was he really that bad?
  • No! Just no to Brouwer!

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
  • Just finished a 12 hr shift, and trying to digest the information. Great thread people, I really like reading the differing opinions! My own take :
  • I'm perplexed at the decision to keep Thompson over Blais. The cap hit argument makes some sense. Perhaps Tage's defensive game is better than Sammy's?
  • Glad they kept Dunn over Walman.
  • What happened to Barbashev? I only got to see one preseason game and the rest of training camp information I garnered from this board. Was he really that bad?
  • No! Just no to Brouwer!

Barbashev was noticeably good in parts of two games I saw and was basically invisible in another. But Allen hasn't looked so hot and the coaching staff hasn't said a word about that to my knowledge, nor have they been critical of multiple bad games from Thorburn, Parayko, Dunn, and Schwartz, just off the top of my head. So there must be something else going on with Barbashev. Maybe he did poorly on fitness tests, so they've been unforgiving of his errors? I dunno, but I'm looking forward to seeing him in regular season games so I can get a better grasp on what Yeo said.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
I don't really care what Brouwer does on other teams because he did good here. Sure maybe not with Fabbri out but it should go to show people what can happen when you shoot the f***ing puck instead of trying to make stupid f*** passes. That's why he worked so well with two great playmakers. Shoot the mother f***er.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Sobotka - Stastny - Tarasenko
Schwartz - Schenn - Jaskin
Paajarvi - Sundqvist - Thompson
Megan - Brodziak - Thorburn

Barbashev, Upshall

Edmundson - Pietrangelo
Dunn - Parayko
Gunnarsson - Bortuzzo

Prosser

Allen
Hutton

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015

Barbashev, Upshall

Edmundson - Pietrangelo
Dunn - Parayko
Gunnarsson - Bortuzzo

Prosser

Allen
Hutton

Brower - Brower - Brower
Brower - Brower - Jaskin
Brower - Brower - Brower
Brower - Brower - Thornburn

Extras: Tarasenko, Hull

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I watched the Yeo press conference. The first question was "Why not Blais?"

Yeo usually gives good straight up answers. This time I sensed that he was searching for an answer. I'm not sure what the hell is going on. Certainly, the kid played better than almost everybody else. I hope he didn't get the shaft because of a character flaw.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
The team on paper looks absolutely dreadful. Before all of the injuries I liked our potential lines better than any previous season dating back to the early 2000s. After the injuries and inexplicably sending Blais down, we have 3 top 6 forwards to start the year. We have a top 3 and a bottom 9 and we’re right up against the cap. That’s not a great place to be. Barring additional moves I can definitely see this team missing the playoffs.

EDIT: I forgot about Schenn :( So we have 4 top 6 forwards. Better, but still not great.

Last edited:

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO

Barbashev, Upshall

Edmundson - Pietrangelo
Dunn - Parayko
Gunnarsson - Bortuzzo

Prosser

Allen
Hutton

I really don’t like a single one of the forward lines. This team really knows how to take the wind out of your sails. Granted, with Steen it looks a little better but what a bummer of an opening night line up.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
I honestly don't get Jaskin qualifying as a top 6'er.

I'd put a lot of money on Barbie or Blais outperforming Jaskin given the same opportunity. Maybe Barbie is being given a wake-up call, but Blais seemed to have earned a spot.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Keeping in mind that DA is the GM, Brouwer to St. Louis makes a ton of sense. All GMs have an affinity for players/coaches they've seen/had success with in the past to an extent, but DA even more so. We need a right winger and that's the position Brouwer has attempted to play in his NHL career.He loved the guy despite the fact that he was a total black hole and losing him was one of the best additions this team has made in a long while. The guy was completely useless outside of tapping in a few perfect passes from Stastny or Fabbri. Now he's two years older(or more experienced from DA's perspective) and twice as expensive. Perfect fit for a talent hungry/cap strapped team.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I honestly don't get Jaskin qualifying as a top 6'er.

I'd put a lot of money on Barbie or Blais outperforming Jaskin given the same opportunity. Maybe Barbie is being given a wake-up call, but Blais seemed to have earned a spot.
From what Yeo said....he stuck him there with guys who are going to carry his butt. They want him to play a certian way and iirc take certian routes to the net

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Good old sky is falling attitude even before games have been played haha

I'm usually with you on that, but....

Upshall - Brodziak - Thorburn

.....Just look at that. 3rd liner on the top line, 4th line/AHL tweener on the 2nd line, an AHL line on the 3rd line, and then what should be a slow, but reasonably effective 4th line. That's pretty bad. Where are the goals coming from here? Tarasenko, Schwartz, Schenn on the PP and....??? Again, I'm usually 100% with you in that I like to see how it plays out before overreacting, but it's hard for me to look at that group of 12 and be optimistic.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
We worry too much about the opening day roster. We worry too much about opening day lines.

I liked Blais' play and thought he would make the team out of camp. I don't like Jaskin's game, and hoped he wouldn't make the team. But Jaskin could be gone by Christmas and Blais could be here, doing well.

There is no need to question Armstrong's sanity or Yeo's judgment just yet. We haven't even played one game yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad