Prospect Info: 2017 200th Overall Pick | RW Sammy Walker

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Any time you can take an undrafted kid and skate him in 323 regular season games and 46 playoff games, that's a win. Much harder to achieve that with a defenseman than a forward too.

:dunno:
Him skating 323 games and 46 playoff games is kind of the problem, actually. He was always a sub-replacement level player.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Any time you can take an undrafted kid and skate him in 323 regular season games and 46 playoff games, that's a win. Much harder to achieve that with a defenseman than a forward too.

Forgive me for sounding like a sanctimonious jagoff but those 300 games are easy to achieve when it takes your coaching staff 3 1/2 years to pick up on the fact that you're not progressing.

I hold to the notion that it doesn't matter how old a player is provided his physical stature. Once you're at 100 or so games and you are showing almost no progress there is a very serious problem. If the player is really inconsistent but the light comes on sometimes then call it a process. Get him to the AHL let him get his confidence up and keep at it. You just need palpable progress by then. It's one thing to be small rookie Brett Connolly and you're on your back 75% of the time and another to be Jesse Puljujarvi, this Lindros sized manchild that doesn't do anything. Sustr was the latter and did not progress from beyond game 50.

You're not gonna understand the game because you're older, you're gonna understand it because you've been playing and for 300 games our coaching staff couldn't see that Sustr wasn't getting it. Whether it was from stupidity by the coaches or not having a better option within the organization, the Sustr fiasco was exactly that. The guy couldn't even handle bottom pairing minutes.

He was a member of a long list of players who didn't have talent to be placed in the roles they were in over the years i.e Killer, Fillpula, Callahan, Namestnikov in the top 6 and all the problems that came with it and it was the entire reason I defended Cooper during the days we wanted him fired.

But lucky for us we found Jesus AND better hockey players when they mercifully started benching him. How someone can go -2 in less than 5 minutes TOI in a game where you score 5 times is a heck of an accomplishment

Last edited:

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
he looked great in camp everyone was talking about him then... red wings signed taro hirose which I wanted to sign he will win the baker this year probably id say walker has a real shot at the baker in 2 years maybe not next year but the year after.... hes got the game for it:)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
From what completely unbiased Rangers fans tell me, criminal charges should be filed because Miller didn't win this.

Meh. All that matters is this is looking like the latest Al Murray gem. I don't care who they give their awards to or who gets robbed. If Miller "really" should have won, it has no bearing whatsoever on what kind of prospect this kid is.

Of course, we don't really draft better than other teams. Taxes and sunshine and Ryan Callahan's recruiting abilities are the real reasons for our success.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I just don't believe Sustr was an improvement over whoever would have replaced him. I think somebody on our coaching staff was a little blinded by all that height and stuck with the project for at least a year or two after they should have let it die.

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
I just don't believe Sustr was an improvement over whoever would have replaced him. I think somebody on our coaching staff was a little blinded by all that height and stuck with the project for at least a year or two after they should have let it die.
Does that somebody happen to rhyme with Mick Lowness?

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

That somebody might be Yzerman. Him and Murray have gushed repeatedly over liking size on the blueline.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sammy's game translated to the NCAA better than anyone could have expected. His speed, hands, competitiveness, and smarts all stood out. Also has a bit of an edge to him. He isn't the biggest, but he won't be bullied. Is always good for a jab to the legs after a whistle to goad someone who is bugging him.

The fact that he continues to play C is interesting. If he can do that as he moves up levels of play then it makes him even more valuable.

In general, he is one of those players who draws your eyes with his play. Electric.

OdinsFury

Oct 2, 2020
Seattle will end up getting this kid walker while we send Seattle the johnson contract
Probably a necessary evil for the Bolts to hold onto their young stars in Cirelli, Serg and Point long term! As long as we dont trade Foote, Im ok with just about any trade sending out Johnson!

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I like him as a player, feels like he’s the next Tyler Johnson for you guys.

We can only hope. As long as Walker doesn't break his wrist like Johnson did in the Cup Finals and never fully trust his shot we'll be okay lol. I'm relatively optimistic Walker and the Lightning will come to some kind of deal and he'll be with Syracuse by year's end

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad