2018/19 WHL Regular Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Blazers sent 18 year old Jackson Shepard to Lethbridge for 19 year old Zane Franklin and a 2020 4th. Interesting to see Blazers ship off a younger guy for an older guy but Franklin's experience should definitely help out this upcoming season. Shepard has had a pretty quiet couple years so far but works his butt off every shift. Franklin's career so far has also been quiet but IMO this was an expected type deal for Kamloops to do this and also I like them getting that draft pick.

Happy to see Bardsley start making some deals. He has a lot of work to do with this squad!

Last edited:

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Blazers sent 18 year old Jackson Shepard to Lethbridge for 19 year old Zane Franklin and a 2020 4th. Interesting to see Blazers ship off a younger guy for an older guy but Franklin's experience should definitely help out this upcoming season. Shepard has had a pretty quiet couple years so far but works his butt off every shift. Franklin's career so far has also been quiet but IMO this was an expected type deal for Kamloops to do this and also I like them getting that draft pick.

Happy to see Bardsley start making some deals. He has a lot of work to do with this squad!
Once again genius, they have plenty of decent pieces. I'm not going to go over again, what they have because you pretend to know. They have good talent coming up, yes they are still young, but for THIS SEASON they have solid veteran leadership, and goaltending.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Heard yesterday that coach Don Hay will be joining the Portland Winterhawks quite possibly. I would assume as an assistant coach since Johnston is still there and a position opened up. They have been good friends for past 20+ years so it makes sense I suppose

EDIT - It is 100% true... Hay is joining the Winterhawks. Crazy

Last edited:

Hockeyoutsider

Aug 25, 2018
Is there another whl site for fans to talk about their teams like in the ohl thread?, or is it just this one giant league wide discussion?

Hockey Fan in PG

Jul 6, 2018
They have quite a bit more fans on here. Most of the team threads would be pretty dead. I think that's why we just have a single thread.
Yeah I’m personally a Cougars fan and I’m not sure how many more there are on this board so a seperate thread for each team would be pretty pointless.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Well with training camps underway its almost time to discuss a new year. I personally have not closely followed off-season moves. All I know is my Victoria Royals will drop off as they went all in on 19 year olds last year. Please share info from around the league. I like the idea of a 68 game season as well.

Hockey Fan in PG

Jul 6, 2018
God he is such garbage. How he lasted as long as he did is beyond me. The crease is now Gauthier's I'm assuming, which is awesome.
He had some of the worst position I’ve ever seen. Blocker side was almost open every single time he faced someone in or around the right circle. Gauthier even with how young he is, his positioning is already miles better. I think the fact he came into the gold medal game in relief at the Hlinka Gretzky and pitching a shutout will help with his development exponentially.

Babula

May 31, 2012
so interested... any predictory of winners or loosers in this upcoming season 18/19. Please Welcome...

Last edited:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
He had some of the worst position I’ve ever seen. Blocker side was almost open every single time he faced someone in or around the right circle. Gauthier even with how young he is, his positioning is already miles better. I think the fact he came into the gold medal game in relief at the Hlinka Gretzky and pitching a shutout will help with his development exponentially.

Grant's body language was already garbage too. Gauthier, I think he could be something special.

RoundJohn

Aug 21, 2018
My prediction for East Division order...
1 - Brandon Wheat Kings
2 - Prince Albert Raiders
3 - Saskatoon Blades
4 - Swift Current Broncos
5 - Moose Jaw Warriors
6 - Regina Pats

BrettM

Oct 3, 2017
My prediction for East Division order...
1 - Brandon Wheat Kings
2 - Prince Albert Raiders
3 - Saskatoon Blades
4 - Swift Current Broncos
5 - Moose Jaw Warriors
6 - Regina Pats

any insight asto why you have Swift Current ranked ahead of both Regina and Moose Jaw? I have Swift pegged for sub fifteen wins this season.

Dubcanesfan

Jan 6, 2016
any insight asto why you have Swift Current ranked ahead of both Regina and Moose Jaw? I have Swift pegged for sub fifteen wins this season.
Did swift current lose a lot due to the overage limit and having to get rid of there core? Even then 15 wins seems like a huge step back for the whl champs of last season

RoundJohn

Aug 21, 2018

You can interchange Swift, MJ, and Regina. All 3 will have some pretty significant turn over. You can say, 'I like the forwards from team X and team Z, the defense from team Z and Y, and the goaltending from team Y and team X.' Does that make sense? Until we see some more from the preseason and opening night rosters will reserve the right to shuffle 4, 5, and 6 in the East.

Hockey Fan in PG

Jul 6, 2018
Cougars have Swift Current’s 1st this year and when you take into consideration all the players they lost, there’s a chance it could be a top 5 pick. I’m really looking forward to this season.

Reactions: bukwas

RoundJohn

Aug 21, 2018
Cougars have Swift Current’s 1st this year and when you take into consideration all the players they lost, there’s a chance it could be a top 5 pick. I’m really looking forward to this season.

Saskatoon has Regina's 2019 first round pick. The 2019 WHL Bantam Draft has the added element of Matthew Savoie having the option of declaring for exceptional status. No idea if that will happen or not. If he does I feel confident saying he would be the first overall pick.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Saskatoon has Regina's 2019 first round pick. The 2019 WHL Bantam Draft has the added element of Matthew Savoie having the option of declaring for exceptional status. No idea if that will happen or not. If he does I feel confident saying he would be the first overall pick.

He will be the first overall pick anyways. He's eligible for this years draft as he turns 15 in January. If he's granted exceptional status it just means he will get to play the full season after his draft year rather then being limited to 5 games or until his teams season is over like most other 15 year olds.

Should also throw it out there that Brandon has Moose Jaw's 2019 1st rounder as well.

So..
Saskatoon has Regina's and they are on the up and up.
Brandon has Moose Jaw's and they are on the up and up.
And Prince George has Swift Currents and they are on the up and up, while all 3 of those teams are on a downward swing.

Hockey Fan in PG

Jul 6, 2018
Yeah I’ve heard lots about Savoie. If the Cougars get the 1st overall pick with Swift Current’s AND end up having a good year? We’d be a deadly team in 2020.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yeah I’ve heard lots about Savoie. If the Cougars get the 1st overall pick with Swift Current’s AND end up having a good year? We’d be a deadly team in 2020.

The only issue with Savoie is it has been speculated that he may go to the college route. Which could mean that if he doesn't land on a team he likes then he might not report at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->