Player Discussion 2017-18 vs 2023-24 OUTLOOK

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
2 months (played my last game in June) and I'm hockey starving it seems...

So this is what we had at the start of the rebuild vs what we have now.

Matt Duchene (27 y/o) vs Tim Stutzle (21 y/o)
JG Pageau (25 y/o) vs Josh Norris (24 y/o)
Colin White (21 y/o) vs Shane Pinto (22 y/o)
Nick Paul (22 y/o) vs Ridly Greig (20 y/o)

Mark Stone (25 y/o) vs Brady Tkachuk (23 y/o)
Derrick Brassard (30 y/o) vs Claude Giroux (35 y/o)
Mike Hoffman (28 y/o) vs Drake Batherson (25 y/o)
Ryan Dzingel (25 y/o) vs Mathieu Joseph (26 y/o)
Drake Batherson (19 y/o) vs Roby Järventie (21 y/o)
Alex Formenton (18 y/o) vs Zack Ostapchuk (20 y/o)

Erik Karlsson (27 y/o) vs Thomas Chabot (26 y/o)
Thomas Chabot (21 y/o) vs Jake Sanderson (21 y/o)
Cody Ceci (24 y/o) vs Artem Zub (27 y/o)
Wolanin, Jaros, Wideman, Englund, Harpur, etc vs Jakob Chychrun (25 y/o), Erik Brännström (23 y/o) and Tyler Kleven (21 y/o)

Of course, you're not supposed to compare directly with a team going into a rebuild but the 2 places we at least really improved from what we started with seems to be at Center and on defense.

We were poor in terms of defensive assets depth (Methot and Phaneuf were in decline due to age/injuries) so Chychrun, Brännström and Kleven were only compared with prospects that didn't pan out much.

However we seem rather weak at wing for a team that just went through an earth scorched rebuild... Giroux is 35, Tarasenko and Kubalik are UFAs-to-be and seem more like stop gaps.

Looking at it as a whole, most of our wealth upgrade seems to rely on Stutzle and Norris being better than Duchene and Pageau. Let's also hope that Pinto and Greig also become quite better than Paul and White. The other team strength has to come from defense, we need that group to become one the best squads in the league

Last edited:

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Holy shit, Chabot is 26

Also, I can't remember the last time we had the quality of centre depth that we have. The gap between Stu and Norris isn't as large as it was between Spezza-Fisher, Spezza-Bonk, Yashin-Bonk, Duchene-Brassard

White-Bonk,, Turris-Zibby were close but neither of those guys have the high end play as Stu or goal scoring ability of Norris.

Probably the best 1-2 we have down the middle, ever.

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
Holy shit, Chabot is 26

Also, I can't remember the last time we had the quality of centre depth that we have. The gap between Stu and Norris isn't as large as it was between Spezza-Fisher, Spezza-Bonk, Yashin-Bonk, Duchene-Brassard

White-Bonk,, Turris-Zibby were close but neither of those guys have the high end play as Stu or goal scoring ability of Norris.

Probably the best 1-2 we have down the middle, ever.
For practical purposes, you're not wrong, but for those of us who lament on what could have been, Yashin and Demitra were both on the team for about 60 games.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
For practical purposes, you're not wrong, but for those of us who lament on what could have been, Yashin and Demitra were both on the team for about 60 games.
Demitra was not yet the player he would become, that's almost like saying we had Martin St Louis (on a PTO) at the same time as Yashin Alfie and Hossa...

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I was born in 93. I wish I got to see prime Yashin. By the time I had the tv channels for it, everything I saw of Yashin started with his hold out :(

Reactions: Frank8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad