Prospect Info: 2017-18 Stockton Heat & Prospect Stats/Discussion (CHL, NCAA, Europe, AHL, ECHL)

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Has anyone followed Välimäki's WHL season closely? I checked some stats and he seems to be doing quite well in P/GP and GF%, but there is not much talk about him.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Has anyone followed Välimäki's WHL season closely? I checked some stats and he seems to be doing quite well in P/GP and GF%, but there is not much talk about him.
Good question.

I noticed some negativity towards this pick around the board, looks like some rather would have picked somebody else, despite his stats.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Good question.

I noticed some negativity towards this pick around the board, looks like some rather would have picked somebody else, despite his stats.

I'm here every day and I've never noticed negativity towards the Valimaki pick. I think he's established himself unquestionably as our top prospect if he wasn't already there before the season started, and I think most people here would agree with me.

Reactions: Anglesmith

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Good question.

At 5v5, he is 1st in G/GP, 3rd in P1/GP and 2nd in P/GP, and seems to be facing quite heavy competition (GF% of his opponents is 5th best while his linemates' GF% is 105th). His point/60 stats are also top-5, although the ice time tracking might not be accurate. His GF% is 54.55%, which is good for 33rd, which I think is respectable playing for a lower middle-tier team. All in all, his stats suggest he is doing very well. I wish I could watch his games so I could see how the stats reflect his game.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
At 5v5, he is 1st in G/GP, 3rd in P1/GP and 2nd in P/GP, and seems to be facing quite heavy competition (GF% of his opponents is 5th best while his linemates' GF% is 105th). His point/60 stats are also top-5, although the ice time tracking might not be accurate. His GF% is 54.55%, which is good for 33rd, which I think is respectable playing for a lower middle-tier team. All in all, his stats suggest he is doing very well. I wish I could watch his games so I could see how the stats reflect his game.
I've only seen snippets and one full game so take it with a big grain of salt but from what I've seen he's been great. He takes a tonne of shots and is putting up decent scoring stats (I think his puckluck has been poor) on a team that IMO isn't very good. Since moving to Tri City Jake Bean who's been a 1 point/game D man for the last three years has 17 points in 28 games. I definitely want Valimaki to get more points but given his situation I don't think he's in a good position to get them vs the D men on true contenders (Foote on Kelowna and Jokiharju on Portland).

His body type reminds me of a smaller Tarasenko he's a wall sometimes. Against the Hitmen while PKing he went into the corner with the puck and all 5 Hitmen closed in on him. He came out of the corner with the puck.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I'm here every day and I've never noticed negativity towards the Valimaki pick. I think he's established himself unquestionably as our top prospect if he wasn't already there before the season started, and I think most people here would agree with me.

I believe there was some negativity towards us picking a defenseman when our forward prospect pool is so shallow. There were also a few that even liked other defenseman better.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I believe there was some negativity towards us picking a defenseman when our forward prospect pool is so shallow. There were also a few that even liked other defenseman better.

I do remember people wanting Liljegren over Valimaki. Liljegren's had a good rookie year in the AHL but I still think Valimaki's the better prospect.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Yeah Valimaki is a beast. I don’t care what his stats say. He’s just really good at hockey.Reminds me of Giordano. Still would have preferred Tolvanen (those were my two guys when we picked). Oh well.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Yeah Valimaki is a beast. I don’t care what his stats say. He’s just really good at hockey.Reminds me of Giordano. Still would have preferred Tolvanen (those were my two guys when we picked). Oh well.

I wanted one of Thomas, Vesalainen or Yamamoto, not because I didn't like Valimaki, just really thought we were going to go for a forward.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I wanted one of Thomas, Vesalainen or Yamamoto, not because I didn't like Valimaki, just really thought we were going to go for a forward.

Well the main player I wanted was Necas, after Necas it was Valimaki on my list. Thankfully we got Valimaki, was jumping with glee. Again our defenseman depth is strong because of RHD and in Brodie's case a strong player on the right side. Our LHD was lacking as Kylington was our best prospect and he's not guaranteed to ever be a long term NHLer.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I posted this top 10 prospect list on the prospects board for us, I know everyone will have some movement on their lists -

1. Valimaki
2. Andersson
3. Parsons
4. Fox
5. Dube
6. Gillies
7. Kylington
8. Mangiapane
9. Foo
10. Lindstrom

HM - Ruzicka (I know most will have him ahead of Lindstrom but he's a bit too much of a floater for me at this point. Have to play with pace in today's NHL. I think Lindstrom is a dark horse to be a #3-4 center in the NHL)

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
1. Valimaki
2. Andersson
3. Fox
4. Dube
5. Parsons
6. Mangiapane
7. Kylington
8. Gillies
9. Rittich
10. Gawdin

HM: Foo, Joly, Ruzicka, Tuulola

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
1. Valimaki
2. Andersson
3. Dube
4. Mangiapane
5. Fox
6. Parsons (still have hope, but no denying this year has not been what we were expecting)
7. Gilles
8. Kylington
9. Foo (come on really strong after a very very slow start)

After that some combination of Gawdin, Phillips, Joly in the 10, 11, 12 spots.

Graduated: Janks, Hathaway (not that he would have been top 10), Rittich

HM: I still believe Klimchuk will play a bottom six role on the Flames someday.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
1)Valamaki
2)Andersson
3)Dube
4)Fox

Rest dont matter, we would be lucky if one ever makes it.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
1. Andersson
2. Valimaki
3. Fox
4. Rittich
5. Mangiapane
6. Dube
7. Kylington
8. Gillies
9. Foo
10. Parsons

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
1. Andersson
2. Valimaki/Fox
3 Valimaki/Fox
4. Dube
5. Mangiapane
6. Parsons
7. Kylington
8. Phillips
9. Gillies
10.Foo
11. Svenigsson (Really like what I've heard he's my wildcard to breakout in a few years.)
12. Joly
13. Ruzicka
14. Gawdin
15. Klimchuk

The last 5 guys are fairly interchangeable but I felt they should be included. Lindstrom is also right there but it's kind of hard to get excited about a prospect that never scores. I'm only really sure about my top 8. Forgot a bou4 Tuulola as well.

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
1) Kylington
2) Parsons
3) Fox
4) Valimaki
5) Andersson
6)Mangiapane
7) Phillips
8) Dube
9) Tuulola
10) Joly
11) Sveningsson
12) Foo
13) Lindstrom
14) Klimchuk
15) Ruzicka

Last edited:
Reactions: Dertell

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Dube vs Valimaki round one so one of them should finish the year in Stockton. My guess in Kelowna beats Tri City in 6.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Boomer and the crew were talking about Adam Fox the other day and how the Flames need to sign him because he's too good to stay in college.

Well, it seems like he isn't getting signed. Told Flames he'll stay in college for next season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->