Prospect Info: 2017-18 Stockton Heat & Prospect Stats/Discussion (CHL, NCAA, Europe, AHL, ECHL)

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I know I've brought him up recently, but reading more about Joly again of late. 9 points in 3 games last week, all primary points for those that care. He's been in on 1/3 of his teams goals. 60 points in 47 games, second in points on his team (first has played 12 more games). 51 primary points. Only concerning thing potentially is only 35 of his points are at even strength. His team is 13th out of 18th in the Q if I'm reading it right and is 12th out of 18 in Goals for.

Still, for a later round pick, RW player with size (6'3") who doesn't turn 19 until April, he's playing well, and I'm very keen to see how he develops from here.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I know I've brought him up recently, but reading more about Joly again of late. 9 points in 3 games last week, all primary points for those that care. He's been in on 1/3 of his teams goals. 60 points in 47 games, second in points on his team (first has played 12 more games). 51 primary points. Only concerning thing potentially is only 35 of his points are at even strength. His team is 13th out of 18th in the Q if I'm reading it right and is 12th out of 18 in Goals for.

Still, for a later round pick, RW player with size (6'3") who doesn't turn 19 until April, he's playing well, and I'm very keen to see how he develops from here.

Yeah I was reading that today. Everything sounds awesome from this guy lately. Hopefully we found a late round gem!

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Honestly valimaki is hard enough to learn I’m never going to learn jolys first name

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Your prospect Glenn Gawdin is having truly a monster of a season in the WHL

55 goals, 65 assists, 120 points, +59, 101 penalty minutes, 20 pp goals, 25 pp assists, 8 gwg, 3 shg
almost 60% at face-offs (almost 1000 face off wins), 261 shots on goal.

Leads these categories; goals,points,+/-, pp goals, pp points, face-off %, most face-off wins
Is in top 3 in these categories; gwg, games played
Is in top 10 in these categories; shots on goal, penalty minutes

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Your prospect Glenn Gawdin is having truly a monster of a season in the WHL

55 goals, 65 assists, 120 points, +59, 101 penalty minutes, 20 pp goals, 25 pp assists, 8 gwg, 3 shg
almost 60% at face-offs (almost 1000 face off wins), 261 shots on goal.

Leads these categories; goals,points,+/-, pp goals, pp points, face-off %, most face-off wins
Is in top 3 in these categories; gwg, games played
Is in top 10 in these categories; shots on goal, penalty minutes

Hopefully he can upgrade our putrid bottom 6

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Gawdin's gotta be a top ten prospect for us, maybe top five. I'm so excited.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Phillips also set the Victoria Royals record for points in a season last night.

Also I think it's possible we see Valimaki in Stockton (If they make playoffs) this season. Tri City is currently making the playoffs but they seem to get smoked every time they play a decent team. They were considered contenders but I wouldn't be surprised to see them get knocked out in the first 2 rounds of the WHL playoffs.

Reactions: Cyrano

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Phillips also set the Victoria Royals record for points in a season last night.

Also I think it's possible we see Valimaki in Stockton (If they make playoffs) this season. Tri City is currently making the playoffs but they seem to get smoked every time they play a decent team. They were considered contenders but I wouldn't be surprised to see them get knocked out in the first 2 rounds of the WHL playoffs.

This is really exciting.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
He's really not. It's his 5th season in the WHL, he's 20 years old. The list of guys that lit it up at that age and never turned into anything is a mile long.

But to this degree? He's at least proving that he should've spent the year in Stockton.

Every year he's looked a bit better, even last year I figured he would probably be an NHLer at some point based on his year-to-year progression.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
But to this degree? He's at least proving that he should've spent the year in Stockton.

Every year he's looked a bit better, even last year I figured he would probably be an NHLer at some point based on his year-to-year progression.

Simply? Yes. Plenty of Hitmen alone tore up the league at this age and never went anywhere.

Time will tell. It's also telling that nobody signed him to a deal before this season despite the progression you are talking about.

I'd love to be proved wrong, but until I see him have some sort of success at the next level I remain skeptical.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Gawdin's gotta be a top ten prospect for us, maybe top five. I'm so excited.

Meh. His production is outstanding but when you consider his age, his linemates, etc.. it brings down the excitement a bit.

He'll never be a big point producer in the NHL (if he even makes it).

He's a decent (arguably good) prospect but you can't read that much into his stats

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Simply? Yes. Plenty of Hitmen alone tore up the league at this age and never went anywhere.

Time will tell. It's also telling that nobody signed him to a deal before this season despite the progression you are talking about.

I'd love to be proved wrong, but until I see him have some sort of success at the next level I remain skeptical.

Meh. His production is outstanding but when you consider his age, his linemates, etc.. it brings down the excitement a bit.

He's a decent (arguably good) prospect but you can't read that much into his stats

I mean, I think the fact that people from other boards have come here a few times now to mention the season Gawdin is having indicates that he's a bit more impressive than your average overager.

I do think we need to see him in Stockton before making any serious judgments but I'm quietly really excited.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It’s fine to be excited about him. His season has been super impressive and no one should take that away from him. However until a player makes it and produces, nothing is a guarantee. I, along with 95% of all members on this board at one time thought Sven was going to be the next Iginla because of how he produced in Jr, and it never happened.

What I’ve learned over the years is if prospects are developing to expectations, that’s really all that matters at that moment in time. Take Janks for example, he literally did everything he was supposed to. So did Mangiapagne, and now both have played in the NHL based on their accomplishments. Now both players are faced with taking that next step but there is no reason to take anything away from their previous achievements. For those 2 players what’s important today is to become good NHL players and both have their chance.

Gawdin has had a great season, we can and should be happy about that. Now if he goes to AHL and puts up a near PPG season, it’s time to elevate the hype. I should also add, that should be the expectation for him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I really think the Flames need to get Parsons back in the ECHL, he's being lit up badly in the AHL. I think it probbaly would have been best for both him and McDonald had each returned to the CHL for their 20 year old seasons.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

It's worth tempering excitement, but I do think he's outperforming other overagers to the point that we can consider him a decent/good prospect. Two things I like: insanely high scoring rate, and while he's not young he's also not extremely old for an overager. He's roughly 6 months older than Baertschi was when we were all creaming our jeans over his monster season, for example (although I do understand 6 months can make a solid difference at that age).

Reactions: Cyrano

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It's worth tempering excitement, but I do think he's outperforming other overagers to the point that we can consider him a decent/good prospect. Two things I like: insanely high scoring rate, and while he's not young he's also not extremely old for an overager. He's roughly 6 months older than Baertschi was when we were all creaming our jeans over his monster season, for example (although I do understand 6 months can make a solid difference at that age).
There is always one overage player better than the rest of the overage players, rarely do they turn into anything.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Yeah, I'll hold my excitement on Gawdin until we see him in Stockton. We've all seen these players before. Overage player with massive numbers, they are a dime a dozen. I'm not saying he's garbage, I just wouldn't get too excited until we see him in a men's league.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I mean, I think the fact that people from other boards have come here a few times now to mention the season Gawdin is having indicates that he's a bit more impressive than your average overager.

I do think we need to see him in Stockton before making any serious judgments but I'm quietly really excited.

Not to harp on it, but lets put it this way. He was drafted in 2015, same year as Mangiapane, and 50 spots before him. So unless you are putting him above any of Andersson, Fox, Valimaki, Dube, Mangiapane, Kylington he likely doesn't even make our top 5 non-goalie prospects list.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Not to harp on it, but lets put it this way. He was drafted in 2015, same year as Mangiapane, and 50 spots before him. So unless you are putting him above any of Andersson, Fox, Valimaki, Dube, Mangiapane, Kylington he likely doesn't even make our top 5 non-goalie prospects list.

As of right now he's definitely above Mangi and Kylington for me personally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad