Injury Report: 2017-18 Season: Varly out Reg season, EJ out 6-8 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Game, set, match... It really feels like we could have done it until this news. Dammit all. Great season from the team but this is the deathblow. I guess the only sliver of light in this is that maybe it's Varley's knee instead of his groin again, and that's a ****ed up thing to even say.

At least with two more wins we can tie the record for most points as a non-playoff team.

No way, 2 more wins and we're in.

96 points will get in.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
It was a good run, lads. I've enjoyed the turnaround in the team's mentality this year. Hopefully the hockey gods see fit to grace us with a lottery win to make up for last year.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Get rid of Varly. He’s a ****en band aid.

So many people saying this today. Honestly, did you guys even watch the play? It's fair to say he's injury prone with his groin, but this is not an example of that.

Jurco charged in at him, lost an edge, and landed on his knee at full speed, and looked to hyper extend it. This would take out most goaltenders.

Reactions: hawk30 and McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Yeah, people are a little hair trigger about Varly and injuries. If Bernier had been in net last night he'd be out for the season too.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
EJ is by far the mor concerning one since it’s repeated injury to the same place.

I said it earlier in the year that you can’t trade Barrie simply for this reason. You can’t put rookies in that position to eat huge minutes right away for extended periods of time.

It sucks too because he plays such a vital role on the team and we have no one who could do what he does. Not does it seem we have anyone coming in the pipeline that could replace him, except for maybe someone like Meloche.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
EJ is by far the mor concerning one since it’s repeated injury to the same place.

I said it earlier in the year that you can’t trade Barrie simply for this reason. You can’t put rookies in that position to eat huge minutes right away for extended periods of time.

It sucks too because he plays such a vital role on the team and we have no one who could do what he does. Not does it seem we have anyone coming in the pipeline that could replace him, except for maybe someone like Meloche.
As long as Z stays healthy losing EJ doesn't worry me all that much to be honest. I prefer to have Johnson in the lineup, of course, but Z's ready to help carrying the team. He has shown that. Our defense is the Z & Barrie Show right now. (The other dmen obviously help as well.)

Reactions: Barklez

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
It sucks but that's kinda been the story with EJ, he's only made it to what counts as a "full" season twice in his career, his first full year in the NHL, and Roy's first year as coach in Colorado. Otherwise, he's missed significant time. Dude is just insanely unlucky, both on the ice and at the golf course.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Jeez a late scratch turns into a major injury and an "accidental" play in a game that was already over ends our goalie's season. I'm pretty optimistic but this is just brutal hit to the team. I guess the only silver lining is that we are slowly seeing the transitioning of the EJ/Varly era to the new young core. Time will tell if they can step up and play in meaningful games. Also shows Sakic that unfortunately EJ and Varly can't be relied as a full time starter/number 1 at this point going forward. This is the most adversity this team has faced this season, I'd consider it a miracle to make it to the playoffs at this point. Who knows maybe this rallies the guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: klozge

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado
Regarding EJ: a fractured kneecap is a little different than being injury prone ... does anyone know when it happened? Morning skate? I don't even know, I assume they wear full pads then?

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Regarding EJ: a fractured kneecap is a little different than being injury prone ... does anyone know when it happened? Morning skate? I don't even know, I assume they wear full pads then?

He was injured during the Philly game. He went into the in boards hard and appeared to be immediately bothered. To his credit, however, he continued to play the rest of the game.

It is strange that they did not realize the severity until after the Chicago game. He may have been masking the pain and discomfort.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

I actually feel the opposite. I am assuming that the kneecap fracture is a hairline one, considering he played the remainder of the Philly game and tried to play against Chicago. It also does not involve any ligament or cartilage damage as far as we know, so I don't believe it poses significant long term structural issues.

I have far greater concerns about Varly, with his history of groin and hip problems.

SB

Mar 9, 2004
Colorado
What does this even mean?

Ok, yeah, sorry that wasn't exactly the right phrasing. It's not like having bad knees, or a bad groin. It's a one-time traumatic event, not a chronic condition. Like getting hit with a shot as opposed to wrecking yourself every other time you make a pad save. And since there was no displacement, it really shouldn't be an issue going forward. I am just curious when it happened.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I actually feel the opposite. I am assuming that the kneecap fracture is a hairline one, considering he played the remainder of the Philly game and tried to play against Chicago. It also does not involve any ligament or cartilage damage as far as we know, so I don't believe it poses significant long term structural issues.

I have far greater concerns about Varly, with his history of groin and hip problems.
Yeah I didn’t mean it in that particular way.

I meant it more as it’s consistent injuries to his legs/knees. He legitimately goes down every season. It’s no longer about significant long term issues. He’s simply an injury prone guy. No fault of his own. Some guys just get injured more easily than others.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
As long as Z stays healthy losing EJ doesn't worry me all that much to be honest. I prefer to have Johnson in the lineup, of course, but Z's ready to help carrying the team. He has shown that. Our defense is the Z & Barrie Show right now. (The other dmen obviously help as well.)
This doesn’t particularly change my opinion.
Zadorov plays left, EJ is right. They’re both there now. So just removing EJ still weakens the D considerably.

But either way, my comment is more with the context that Barrie was being traded away, as has been the discussion on these boards for quite a while this season.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
A coach is evasive and vague when answering a question about an injured hockey player? I can't remember a time before in the history of the sport when that's happened!

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Bigger question is what do the Avs do long term with the goaltending situation. Varly won't play again till next year, and both Bernier and Hammond are UFAs. Gonna need a solid 1B next year since you don't know what you'll get with Varly to start (Bernier again, or Raanta), and even a 3rd stringer with some NHL experience. Then after next year, they're gonna have to cut Varly loose via UFA. Just unreliable with all these injuries. He's only played in more than 57 games in season once in his career.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
It's like, Varly "can" (and often does) play like a 10/10 goalie when he's in there.
But we can count on him NOT being in there for a stretch (or two) of time every year.
And then we put whoever we can in there. Might be Bernier, who did good -- when he was healthy...
Or might be be the mighty Question Mark in net. Hard to count on Q-Mark in really important games.

So then the question becomes:
Would we be rather have a part-time 10/10 goalie (and never know when we can count on him being in...)+ whoever, OR
a 7/10 goalie that's most likely going to be available for the 55-60 or so games that we count on him to play, backed up by whoever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->