Injury Report: 2017-18 Season: Varly out Reg season, EJ out 6-8 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
They need to find a Varly replacement. Love the guy, he showed he can still show up and perform at a top quality, but with his injury history he's just a part-time goalie. About the same needs to be said for EJ at this point, sadly. Favourite player on the club, but this is only going to get worse as he ages. In no way, shape or form should Barrie be traded this off-season barring an incredible return - he's the only thing holding the defense together.

This'll be a rough finish to the season, and an even rougher playoffs if they somehow make it there. Having two really quality D pairings as EJ rounded back into form, backstopped by a Varly playing excellent hockey, would have been awesome.
Agreed for the future, but hard to blame Varlamov for what happened yesterday. That could have (and would have) injured any goaler, even if they have a durability of 99.

Reactions: McMetal

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Barberio going on the trip is good news and also unexpected. I really want to know what happened to him. Could a really bad MCL keep you out around two months?

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Barberio going on the trip is good news and also unexpected. I really want to know what happened to him. Could a really bad MCL keep you out around two months?

I thought he was dealing with a concussion issue, although I am not sure where I got that.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Time for MacKinnon to go on a tear for these last couple games. Bernier needs to come up huge.

Reactions: Murzu

kchan9

Oct 7, 2010
There is no hockey god. If there is he must hate us. Time to rally again boys! Let's show to the hockey world we're a resilient bunch

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Well, Bernier was the guy who pulled us into the playoff race to begin with, time to see if he can drag the team into the playoffs as well.

Losing EJ sucks but Barrie did so well in his absence last time that I still have hope.
Don't be fooled by the 10 game win streak, that was a blip on the radar for Bernier. Take that streak out and he is sub .900 Sv % on the year. He is just not a very good goalie, sans one hot streak. So I guess if he plays like he did during the hot streak then we'll be ok. If plays like he has the rest of the season, I'm not liking the chances. Let's be real the guy has had two concussions in the past 2 months, if it was me I'd take my chances with the Hamburgler and hope he goes all world. Over a maybe not 100% right and possibly gun shy Bernier.

The Varly injury sucks, I'm firm believer in Varly, he still has top tier abilities IMO as demonstarted by his play the past month'. The guy just can't catch a break. And unfortunately I think the Avs need to find a long term solution as we can't deal with losing him every single year to an injury.

Which leads me to the injury he got last night. I think it's garbage that players have no reprocutions for crashing the net. In today's NHL players just go as hard as they can towards the net, and consistently I'm watching goalies get plowed. It's not right, it's hard enough to be a goalie as is, you shouldn't have to worry about getting destroyed by a player charging the net. I realize Jurco just "lost an edge" and that happens, but he still plowed the goalie and didn't even get a penalty. I'm not sure how to change this trend as it's not just Avs goalies getting hurt on stuff like this. Maybe they need to go back to goals that don't move or some kind of crease rule. I'm not really sure, but it's frustrating to watch a goalie get plowed on an almost nightly basis.

As for EJ, I think he is just like Varly. A good player, but can't catch a break and is constantly injured for extended periods of time. If it was me I'd seriously consider exposing him in the next expansion draft. Large contract, 30+ player (at that point), that can't stay healthy for an entire season. I love EJ but he is worthless to us while sitting in the press box for extended periods of time every single season.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Bernier isn't hurt.

I don't honestly think this changes our chances much at all. We've seen Bernier can play great with Varly out and we've seen the D step up without EJ already. I hope scoring a lot last night keeps their confidence up

Last edited:

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
Nothing says welcome back from 2 concussions and an infection like playing back to back games against possibly 2 of the hottest teams right now also fighting for playoff spots

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
12 million in two players who are guaranteed to suffer major injuries every season.

I love EJ, and spent the majority of my early days on here defending him across the main boards, but damn that contract sucks going forward. He deserves better than being bought out or cap dumped to Arizona, but this one is going to hurt in a few years. 5 more years of a player who will have played 228/328 games of the last 4 years.

All aboard team Barrie.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

giphy.gif

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs are going to have to fluke it out to make it in. They've done it before, but they're probably looking at four straight games where they don't carry the play. Bernier has to go nuts.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Game, set, match... It really feels like we could have done it until this news. Dammit all. Great season from the team but this is the deathblow. I guess the only sliver of light in this is that maybe it's Varley's knee instead of his groin again, and that's a f***ed up thing to even say.

At least with two more wins we can tie the record for most points as a non-playoff team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad