2017 /18 season predictions

attackfan71

Dec 2, 2012
owen sound ont.
Noticed a season prediction thread has not been started So here it is. Let's here your predictions for the upcoming season. There are some very insightful posters so looking forward to hearing what they have to say. Would also like to see who people think has the best chance to represent the ohl in the 100th memorial cup

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
It's too soon for me to reasonably speculate on what the standings will look like. Still have the import draft and there will more trades/signings in August leading up to training camps. If I had to guess my favorite from the West would be Owen Sound (if they find a suitable replacement for McNiven) and my favorite from the East would be Mississauga (if they get McLeod back).

attackfan71

Dec 2, 2012
owen sound ont.
It's too soon for me to reasonably speculate on what the standings will look like. Still have the import draft and there will more trades/signings in August leading up to training camps. If I had to guess my favorite from the West would be Owen Sound (if they find a suitable replacement for McNiven) and my favorite from the East would be Mississauga (if they get McLeod back).

Agree with the two favorites. I just honestly don't know enough about the other teams to speculate standings and which teams will be strong competition through out the season. And EON. You are one of the posters I enjoy reading and getting your unbiased opinion. I do agree Owen sound needs to replace mcniven. Curious if Windsor would be willing to trade Dipietro as they pretty much went all in last year and need to recoup some draft picks. Might be wishful thinking

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Agree with the two favorites. I just honestly don't know enough about the other teams to speculate standings and which teams will be strong competition through out the season. And EON. You are one of the posters I enjoy reading and getting your unbiased opinion. I do agree Owen sound needs to replace mcniven. Curious if Windsor would be willing to trade Dipietro as they pretty much went all in last year and need to recoup some draft picks. Might be wishful thinking

Appreciate the kind words.

I could see Oshawa in the East being strong as well, especially now with the increased possibility that Tolvanen signs there (he has reportedly been denied from entrance at BC).

I don't think Windsor will deal DiPietro this season. I think they'll keep him this season to mentor Baier and then deal him next season. I don't see Windsor competing again for at least two seasons and goalies are typically a bit slower to develop, so DiPietro should have two more seasons in the OHL before moving on to he pros.

If I was Owen Sound I'd take a good look at Murdaca in Erie. There are rumors he's going to be moved and Erie will keep Timpano. Murdaca played pretty well in the regular season filling in for Timpano while he was out with pneumonia and was superb in relief in the playoffs, especially the London series. He wouldn't cost an OA spot either.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Appreciate the kind words.

I could see Oshawa in the East being strong as well, especially now with the increased possibility that Tolvanen signs there (he has reportedly been denied from entrance at BC).

I don't think Windsor will deal DiPietro this season. I think they'll keep him this season to mentor Baier and then deal him next season. I don't see Windsor competing again for at least two seasons and goalies are typically a bit slower to develop, so DiPietro should have two more seasons in the OHL before moving on to he pros.

If I was Owen Sound I'd take a good look at Murdaca in Erie. There are rumors he's going to be moved and Erie will keep Timpano. Murdaca played pretty well in the regular season filling in for Timpano while he was out with pneumonia and was superb in relief in the playoffs, especially the London series. He wouldn't cost an OA spot either.

Owen Sound is in an interesting position because the Attack could make a deal for a tender like a Murdaca although I'd think it would have a lot to due with Vella brings back to the team especially after have a 5-2-0-0 in 8 games behind Michael McNiven last year

Dale really doesn't pull triggers without thinking about the repercussions of the deal for now and the Attack's future so I'd expect Vella to return as a 19 year old on the team

Dog Fan

Apr 22, 2017
I see the Icedogs finishing any where from 4th to 6th place if they can trade for an over age or 2 prior to the season to help a young team along. If they don't trade for any oa's, I see them just squeezing into the playoffs, between 6th and 8th place. Any thoughts?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I see the Icedogs finishing any where from 4th to 6th place if they can trade for an over age or 2 prior to the season to help a young team along. If they don't trade for any oa's, I see them just squeezing into the playoffs, between 6th and 8th place. Any thoughts?

I can see the ice dogs as the early favourite for 10th in the east. My thought is Niagara lags every team except Barrie in the re-building or re-built eastern conference. Barrie has a potentially explosive young first line though.

sbpointer

Sep 15, 2014
Budweiser Gardens
I predict the London Knights will make the playoffs :handclap:

In all seriousness though OS should be the team to beat. Im sure they will find their number 1 goalie in the mean time Vella will carry the load. We all know they have half the season to make that move and it won't hurt them.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
I can see the ice dogs as the early favourite for 10th in the east. My thought is Niagara lags every team except Barrie in the re-building or re-built eastern conference. Barrie has a potentially explosive young first line though.

Do not know where you get this info from Niagara should be at least sixth this season maybe has high has fourth

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I have no information to make accurate early predictions. But, I've seen no information that would lead me to believe Niagara & Barrie can both gain 4-6 spots to finish in the top half of the conference.
What information do you have that any of the top seven from last season will fall out of the top seven? I'm guessing at potential rosters; and, guessing that Hamilton, Oshawa, Sudbury, & Ottawa all improve; and, Peteborough & Missassauga both have too many good players too fall 6-7 spots. With one key addition on D, the Petes are not a serious contender?

attackfan71

Dec 2, 2012
owen sound ont.
My only prediction I can make and it's more a hope. Just cause I enjoy watching this playoff series.
In the west
Owen sound
Sarnia
Sault Ste. Marie
Kitchener
Guelph
Flint
Sagina
London

Be awesome first round match ups or in any order that makes these match ups possible lol as long as Owen sound gets home ice against london

bigsportsfan

Sep 28, 2012

The IceDogs last season finished in 8th place. This season, they will likely have everyone return to the team except their 3 overagers and somehow you think they will do worse than last season when the majority of their players were 17 year old rookies?

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
My only prediction I can make and it's more a hope. Just cause I enjoy watching this playoff series.
In the west
Owen sound
Sarnia
Sault Ste. Marie
Kitchener
Guelph
Flint
Sagina
London

Be awesome first round match ups or in any order that makes these match ups possible lol as long as Owen sound gets home ice against london

Hard to see London as 8th seed given who's coming back.

Unless of course they decide to sell off big time at the deadline, in which case it would certainly be possible.

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
West

OS 106 Pts
SSM 94Pts
LND 102 Pts
Sarnia 94Pts
Guelph 92 Pts
Saginaw 85 Pts
Erie 80 Pts
Windsor 78 Pts
Kitchener 70 Pts
Flint 60 Pts

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
The IceDogs last season finished in 8th place. This season, they will likely have everyone return to the team except their 3 overagers and somehow you think they will do worse than last season when the majority of their players were 17 year old rookies?

Yes, I think there is real chance Niagara will do worse (in the standings). I think the eastern conference will be significantly better overall (it cannot be worse) with Hamilton, Sudbury, Oshawa, Barrie, Ottawa, NB as the most improved; and, Peteborough still a top team. For Miss, a lot depends on if M.McLoed returns and what they do at the deadline. Kingston, I don't know; but, I really doubt they go from 4 to 9-10.
A lot can change. Maybe, Niagara fills the losses of Mantha, Haydon, Paquette, & missed import pick with immediate help.

uncommitted pre-preseason premature prediction:
1. Petes, Gens, Bulldogs
2. Steelheads, Wolves
6-8. Fronts, Battalion, 67's
9-10. Colts, Icedogs.

Last edited:

attackfan71

Dec 2, 2012
owen sound ont.
Hard to see London as 8th seed given who's coming back.

Unless of course they decide to sell off big time at the deadline, in which case it would certainly be possible.

It wasn't a real prediction as to where they would finish just as to how I would like to see the first match ups I enjoy watching Owen sound and london play each other and being an attack fan I wanted them to have home ice lol

Last edited:

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Yes, I think there is real chance Niagara will do worse (in the standings). I think the eastern conference will be significantly better overall (it cannot be worse) with Hamilton, Sudbury, Oshawa, Barrie, Ottawa, NB as the most improved; and, Peteborough still a top team. For Miss, a lot depends on if M.McLoed returns and what they do at the deadline. Kingston, I don't know; but, I really doubt they go from 4 to 9-10.
A lot can change. Maybe, Niagara fills the losses of Mantha, Haydon, Paquette, & missed import pick with immediate help.

uncommitted pre-preseason premature prediction:
1. Petes, Gens, Bulldogs
2. Steelheads, Wolves
6-8. Fronts, Battalion, 67's
9-10. Colts, Icedogs.

Heard Norrris who San Jose drafted maybe be sent here by the Sharks the import player is fifty fifty now we traded Paquette last season cannot see the Ice dogs regress Kingston will fade North Bay not good Ottawa and Sudbury never live up to the hype Mcloed not coming back to Missy . Hamilton will be average at best I do agree the Petes still the team to beat

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
With McGill leaving tells me too early to predict these things but what the Hey:)

West
Owen Sound - they will find a goalie
Soo - likely the best in the west again this year
London - more points than the Soo but it is the division thing
Kitchener - not a surprise to me but it might be to others
Windsor - just enough quality players to maintain 5th - WR is too competative to trade.
Guelph - they are ready to make a move - some trades to come
Sarnia - could finish higher but coaching is an issue
Erie - still something left like Windsor to keep them in the playoffs.
Flint - They have potential but it will be a step backwards this year - next year they will be a force.
Saginaw - one more year of retooling and then they will be in the upper group but like Flint need one more year.

East
Peterbo - this will be their year with moves
Missy - could be first but there are some holes
Oshawa - not going to be shocked if they finish higher
Sudbury - big things a foot up north
Kingston - might even be 4th again
Hamilton - now it gets foggy 4th thru 6th could flop a bit
Barrie - lots of young talent
Ottawa - a little hard to read their future but they could be the biggest unknow in the east.
N Bay - sorry Stan but even you can't will this team into the playoffs this year
N Ice dogs - could be wrong on this one but like Flint and Saginaw they need one more year before they contend again.

Sure glad we don't bet anything on these predictions after last years crash.

fan75

Mar 22, 2002
Montreal
Why do people think Kingston will be worse? They are only losing their overagers (albeit, Desrochers is a pretty big overager -- Billitier & Caron) and Supryka who never played, and probably Sam Harding.

Robertson, Nyman, Rasanen, Paquette, Dunkley, Popov, etc. are a year older.

13 players last year were 17 or younger.

McFarland is a huge loss, however.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Hard to see anybody stopping Owen Sound, to be honest.

If they have some goaltending problems then I could definitely see the Greyhounds competing with them. Much like Erie in recent years, people are too quick to write off the best run and coached teams because they lose some key players.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
East

1. Hamilton
2. Sudbury
3. Peterborough
4. Oshawa
5. Ottawa
6. Kingston
7. Mississauga
8. Barrie
9. Niagara
10. North Bay

West

1. Owen Sound
2. Sault Ste Marie
3. London
4. Guelph
5. Sarnia
6. Kitchener
7. Erie
8. Windsor
9. Saginaw
10. Flint

GoKnightsGo44

Aug 31, 2006
1. Oshawa
2. Sudbury
3. Peterborough
4. Hamilton
5. Ottawa
6. Kingston
7. Mississauga
8. Barrie
9. Niagara
10. North Bay

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Hard to do predictions at this time trades can happen players may or may not report and injuries thru the season
but I will give it a shot
West
Owen Sound
Kitchener
Sault
London
Windsor
Sarnia
Flint
Erie
Saginaw
Guelph