2017/18 season, is that our 100th?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I'm sitting here very confused.

No draft

No All star game

No Heritage classic

No Winter classic

For the first season, 1917–18, the team operated without a formal organization separate from the Arena Company. and without an official club nickname. However, the press would dub the team the "Blue Shirts" or "Torontos"[1] as they had done with the NHA franchise. After the 1918-1919 season, the Arena Company was granted a permanent franchise in the NHL, which evolved into today's leafs (as per wiki)

After seeing what the NHL has/has not done to celebrate us

I can only draw 2 conclusions

They vehemently hate us OR

Our actual centy is the 2017/18 season and any events in 2018 are considered kosher in the 100th timeline.

Thoughts?

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
2016/2017 is the 100th year of our franchise actually. People forget that the year 2000 kinda throws it off. Also the league has had it season cancel twice once to the spanish flu many years ago and the lockout season but the NHL still counts the year.

harvestglen

Oct 29, 2013
Technical 100th year or not, I don't see the issue with celebrating it then. Nothing wrong with celebrating 100 years rather than the 100th season. That being said, I'm still skeptical they'll get as much as Montreal did.

StevieBlunder

Jun 17, 2015
I'm a little disappointed that it looks as though we're getting the shaft. I'm not one for celebrating milestones like this- it's just a number. And I get that the team itself blows and had only earned something because of the money we generate.

All that said, I was expecting SOMETHING. I mean, surely there's gotta be something up their sleeve still.

Maybe we can take that year off (for development?) and watch teams like Florida and Arizona begin to fold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad